Games With Single Slot (Auto) Savegames

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
There is one actually. To stop save-scumming. To stop the player reloading a save over and over again until they get their desired outcome. It gives weight to the gameplay. Dieing in Dark Souls is a big deal because you might actually lose stuff if you're not careful.

Obviously not every game needs that though. I don't know about Bioshock Infinite but Tomb Raider can't be abused with save-scumming, so I don't see the point of only having one save in that.
Why do some people get up in antsies over how someone else who they have never met, will never meet, and that will never affect them plays their own property in the privacy of their own home?

Gladys Knight

Aug 22, 2012
Shocksplicer said:
tsb247 said:
This is something that I hate. I blame consoles because this feature didn't start showing up on PC titles until developing on consoles and porting to PC became common. It used to be standard for PC games to have a save menu. Now it is rarely seen, and checkpoints and auto-saves are the new norm. Then again, some developers do it on purpose to prevent players from having it too easy. Either way, I can't stand not having a good old-fashioned save system where I can save when and where I want!

I mainly hate it because I can't play the game the way I want or replay my favorite parts easily.
Oh please, consoles had nothing to do with it. Don't go blaming consoles every time something happens that you don't like.

OT: Yeah it's annoying. To be fair though, some games don't need multiple save spots, for example they wouldn't affect Bioshock Infinite in any way. I would, however, like to be able to save anywhere in Infinite, as the game tends to send me back an unreasonable amount.

The most dangerous words we can use as gaming enthusiasts is "it's not needed."

I'm not trying to pick on your specifically and multiple people have said something similar in this topic but I want to comment on the sentiment as a whole...

"It's not needed" or "it's not necessary" or words of that way are usually at the crux of all the stupid stuff we have to deal with in gaming, especially today. Our "friends" or "peers" who were developing the games of yesteryear and making honest mistakes and decisions with consequences they didn't think through are gone. Today there are sterile-minded businessmen and businesswomen who don't actually care about or like us. In fact, they harbor a sort of contempt for us. For we are at odds with them and their ultimate goal which is to determine just how much they can extract from us and price tag. How many hoops they can get us to jump through to pad their metrics. What is the absolute furthest we will go through to be able to (try to) enjoy video games. Note that all of those realities have no concern with whether or not we are pleased, happy, satisfied or content. Someone getting a game home today and being really disappointed that the element they saw in a trailer that excited them is actually special DLC that you had to pre-order to get and even then won't be available for a month doesn't violate their sensibilities in the slightest.

I paint that picture because "it's not needed" is their best friend. It's the easiest way to justify nonsense. Address everything in a vacuum and demonstrate that "it's not needed." It works because EVERYTHING is not needed and EVERYTHING, when considered by itself, can be reduced to some small deal that "spoiled, entitled gamers" are just whining over.

Can we have the full game at release?

"It's not needed."

Can the DLC you made "after development" for the PS3 port be available right away for the Wii-U port that you are releasing over a year later?

"It's not needed."

May I copy my save file and take it elsewhere?

"It's not needed."

Where's the game manual?

"It's not needed."

Can I have multiple save slots?

"It's not needed."

Why are these characters rendered unavailable at release?

"It's not needed."

Why are these cosmetics rendered unavailable at release?

"It's not needed."

Why do I need to pre-order digital content again?

"It's not needed."

May I play offline?

"It's not needed."

Can I disable trophies so that if there's another issue with the server my games won't keep me from playing?

"It's not needed."

Can I get a game without quick-time events?

"It's not needed."

Why are difficulty levels being locked away as DLC?

"It's not needed."

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Oh dear, I just remembered Max Payne 3 with the horrible checkpoint system, up to the point where it is almost broken.

That wasn't a fun experience.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I love manual save systems because I love going back and revisiting favourite parts of the game. I can't count how many times I've been back and played through Tali's trial in Mass Effect 2.

There are many great moments in Tomb Raider that I'd love to go back and see again but because you are locked to the one slot while playing, the only way to see those scenes again is by playing through the game again.

In a single player game I really don't see why there isn't always a manual save system. If the developers want to make the choices have consequence to the players then have that as an option in the settings "No Manual Saves: Play as the Developers Intended". Then let the rest of us play as we want.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
amara2021 said:
rhizhim said:
it sucks, especially when you cant back track. resident evil 6 does that too.

you think "oh, hey i need to go here, but first i am going to explore over there for ammunition and stuff"
well to bad, ************! turns out "over there" was the real way to progress the story.
and god damn i hate that.
This. This so much in Bioshock Infinite. They got me with this twice already and then locked a fucking gate behind me to boot. Any linear game with collectible items like voxophones and RPG elements should not deprive players opportunities to collect them. It's like they don't even want me to find them since they keep shoving huge blinking mission objectives in my face every time I stay in one area for more than 60 seconds. It took them years to design every single nook and cranny of this gorgeous game and I'm damn well going to take the time to fully appreciate all of it.
/Agree

Bioshock 1 and 2 had the ability to manually save, and it was fantastic.

Bioshock infinite's autosave is very haphazard for me so far. It's set me back quite a ways at times, like 3 or 4 rooms full-of-bad-guys far back. Which is frustrating. If I have to turn off the xbox for an hour and do something, I want to be able to pick up ~right~ where I left off, not spend 5-8 minutes treading previously covered ground. It's an annoying imperfection in an otherwise excellent game.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
Yeah, I've been feeling the dread too with Infinite, at least you can reload prior checkpoints. At most those checkpoints send you back 2-3 gunfights. In shooters it's not so bad because it's mostly just to streamline the process, although all of the typewriters keep joking that I should save on them in every office room in Columbia. I'm kind of surprised to hear that about Final Fantasy, but if it is one of the 13 triplets then it is sadly believable. It's not like anything about those is well planned out anyway.

RPG's should use manual saves whenever possible because of the sheer amount of experimentation that is needed for each title before any amount of understanding may occur. Other genres can mostly use whatever works best.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I hate single save slot options. It's especially annoying when there are collectibles that help flush out the depth of the story or characters but if I explore I risk the chance of going into the wrong room that advances the plot but also cuts that room of from me for good.

I also hate messy save slots too. I love The Witcher and The Witcher 2 but the save system is really messy.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Shocksplicer said:
Oh please, consoles had nothing to do with it. Don't go blaming consoles every time something happens that you don't like.
Tell me then, where did checkpoint save systems first become the norm? It sure wasn't on the PC. Some games my limit saved games claiming, "It improves gameplay," but the simple fact is that omitting a feature does nothing to improve gameplay. If a player doesn't want to spam the save feaure, then they won't! It's as simple as that.

The fact is that checkpoint and single save slot systems are console relics that get ported over to PC by lazy developers who can't be bothered to optimize a game before they port it. They're just out to make a quick buck. That's it!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
This is my one big complaint so far with Bioshock Infinite. One save space and it only saves at set checkpoints which are not in any way visible in game until you pass them. It's annoying as if I get to a point where I want to quit out the game for whatever reason I have to play up until the next checkpoint whenever that is or take the hit and lose all the progress between now and the last checkpoint. Granted I may really only need one save playing on my pc but it should be my choice how many saves I need and when I need to save.

I don't understand why devs use this system unless it's a design choice to make you go back so far after dying. However since Bioshock Infinite has no real penalty for death having set check points seems pointless.

3asytarg3t

Jun 8, 2010
Reading conversations like this thread leaves me wondering how most of you find your way out of your house.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
GundamSentinel said:
God, I hated that in Dragon's Dogma. Long games with multiple choices/different endings along the way. It's a big no-no for me in those games. If people want to save-scum, let them. No real harm in doing that in a single-player game. Me, I just want to enjoy different parts of a game at my leisure, especially after I've finished it already.
Totally agree with this. Single save slots don't bother me at all when it's a fairly linear, action-driven game, but in anything more free moving they're just an annoyance. Games like that shouldn't force to to replay the entire thing just to see the different options for individual quests - that's frustrating rather than fun.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I despise single game save slots. It's a dumb practice, especially for RPGs. I should be able to have more than one save to be able to explore everything or try out different paths.

In Dragon's Dogma, after a point, being a mage meant I could only be a mage and still be effective. My brother though, could switch classes like clothes. I would have liked the opportunity just to play around with the classes and compare. Also, accidentally triggering a cutscene shouldn't lock me out of possible quests. That's really dumb in an open-world RPG.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
The thing is... it can be both bad and good.
However, the player should have a choice.

Example 1:
FTL has this. However, it is designed in a way that it sometimes throws incredibly unfair or even random battles at you that ruin your whole progress. At least on easy difficulty, people should be able to reload. Instead, I crashed the game a few times on my relaxing playthroughs because there were some absolutely BS/unfair encounters.
I understand games having something like this in hard difficulty. But in something as random as FTL, people should have a choice, at least in lower difficulty settings.
That, or just decrease the randomness and make encounters more consistent.

Example 2:
The old Bioshock and its hacking system. The game isn't very punishing if you don't succeed. You just lose some health and hacked healing stations are cheap enough, especially when conserving ammo instead of going all-out every battle. However, there is a randomness factor of trap fields often forming rows that are impossible to get around once the water has started flowing.
Vita Chambers revive you pretty quickly and without huge punishment. So consequences are also very low there.
It is still annoying to fail and reloading often is simply faster and easier. And the randomness simply shouldn't be.

Example 3:
Pretty much every game with a thieving/pickpocket mechanic. Failing there can often completely ruin the game, especially because some of them have bugs. Doesn't really matter if it is Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Gothic or whatever... those thieving mechanics have an uncontrollable randomness-factor and consequences are often too severe, making players reload too often.
Punishing the player for failing at a minigame or something that is actually doable isn't a problem. If people forget about it after a while, it is not much of a problem either.
But when pickpocketing is simply casting a hidden die in the background and even high skill levels have a chance to fail, and even worse, making the whole town attack and never forgive you, then save-scumming is simply needed.

That said, save-scumming simply isn't fun either.

Another thing about multiple save slots is when you have to choose between paths in a game. You have a newbie/apprentice time, walking around doing errands, getting to know a little about the factions... and then you have to decide for one of them.
The game should make a save at those points so people can replay the game without having to replay the whole apprentice time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zeren said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Zeren said:
I HATE that. I would rather enjoy every game doing it like Skyrim does. 3 autosaves and as many manual saves as you like.
And the periodic save wipe due to bugs?

>.>
I never have that happen. I have played over 200 hours on skyrim and have never had a corrupted save. If ever I did, I wouldn't care because I have a backup save for exactly that issue. I also have my saves backed up on the Steam Cloud. I do not fear corrupted or erased saves because I can easily get them back. I could also just start a new character, pop in some console commands and have the save skills and items back in less than 10 minutes.
That was a pretty far way to go to defend terrible, flawed design.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Zeren said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Zeren said:
I HATE that. I would rather enjoy every game doing it like Skyrim does. 3 autosaves and as many manual saves as you like.
And the periodic save wipe due to bugs?

>.>
I never have that happen. I have played over 200 hours on skyrim and have never had a corrupted save. If ever I did, I wouldn't care because I have a backup save for exactly that issue. I also have my saves backed up on the Steam Cloud. I do not fear corrupted or erased saves because I can easily get them back. I could also just start a new character, pop in some console commands and have the save skills and items back in less than 10 minutes.
That was a pretty far way to go to defend terrible, flawed design.
Flawed? As I said before, I have had no issues with it. No flaws. Maybe you should explain in depth why it's flawed instead of simply restating what you have already said? Tell me of another game that does it better perhaps?

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
The Artificially Prolonged said:
This is my one big complaint so far with Bioshock Infinite. One save space and it only saves at set checkpoints which are not in any way visible in game until you pass them. It's annoying as if I get to a point where I want to quit out the game for whatever reason I have to play up until the next checkpoint whenever that is or take the hit and lose all the progress between now and the last checkpoint. Granted I may really only need one save playing on my pc but it should be my choice how many saves I need and when I need to save.

I don't understand why devs use this system unless it's a design choice to make you go back so far after dying. However since Bioshock Infinite has no real penalty for death having set check points seems pointless.
They also had a nasty habit of occurring when something else important was going on. So if you wanted to quit you had to concentrate on the corner, which distracts you from the conversation or what have you.

Giving the time-stamp of the last save when you try to quit was a nice touch, but doesn't save the broken system.