Games Workshop announces plastic sisters of battle

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/22/breaking-news-major-revealsgw-homepage-post-1/

Its finnaly happened. After 20 years it finnally happened. Plastic. SISTERS. MINIS.

First they started bringing back the Primarchs, then they brought back Sly Marbo, then they brought back the Squats, and now this. Truely, 40k is in a golden age.

Jan 19, 2016
Been long enough. Does this mean they are going to fully support them as a proper faction now?
If they do, I might actually get back into 40k.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Isn't this where we're meant to complain that Games Workshop is catering to "SJWs" by making an all-female army more readily available?

Oh, and something-something-Fantasy, something-something you bastards, yadda yadda yadda.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Hawki said:
Isn't this where we're meant to complain that Games Workshop is catering to "SJWs" by making an all-female army more readily available?
I can't think of anyone who dislikes the Sisters more then those people to be honest. Good looking women who are badass but flawed, not much SJWs hate more then that, can't imply women can be flawed, and can't have them look good.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Welp, I guess it's time to kill my coworkers and start investing in dogecoin, because the End is clearly here. Not only plastic Sisters, but they also announced essentially Atlantis Elves, ie. Fishmen, the long forgotten running joke of the WHFB franchise.

As much as there still is to hate about the company, I can't help but commend them for turning their PR around and finally stepping into the digital age over the past 3 or so years. As a long time customer it's been downright astonishing just how much of a hard 180 they did after the disastrous launch of AoS.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Zontar said:
I can't think of anyone who dislikes the Sisters more then those people to be honest. Good looking women who are badass but flawed, not much SJWs hate more then that, can't imply women can be flawed, and can't have them look good.
Who has complained about them on that basis? Can I get some links?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
[quote="bartholen" post="9.1047982.24220750"but they also announced essentially Atlantis Elves, ie. Fishmen, the long forgotten running joke of the WHFB franchise.[/quote]

Huh?

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
Hawki said:
bartholen said:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/22/breaking-news-major-revealsgw-homepage-post-1/

They're called the "Idoneth Deepkin". Yeah, they're not exactly mermen, but they have eel cavalry, war platforms on the backs of giant turtles, one dude has a cape that literally flows (cuz it's a wave, hue hue) and there seems to be some sort of octopus wizard or something. This is the sort of thing I want to see AoS have more, to differentiate itself from the Old World. More sea elves and steampunk dwarves say I! Go nuts!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
bartholen said:
\This is the sort of thing I want to see AoS have more, to differentiate itself from the Old World.
I'd rather have the Old World back than Age of Sigmar. :(

I mean, I wouldn't mind so much if Games Workshop just left FB and went to AoS, in a sort of "war's eternal, life continues to suck" Chaos will never go away, but mortals will always be there to face it," but no, they had to retcon the events of Storm of Chaos, nuke the setting, and make it in AoS that few, if any people remember it. All for a setting that I'd call even more generic than FB. Sure, FB had its share of elves, dwarfs, and orcs, but it did feel like its own thing with its own feel.

But hey, surf elves. Yay. Or something.

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
Hawki said:
bartholen said:
\This is the sort of thing I want to see AoS have more, to differentiate itself from the Old World.
All for a setting that I'd call even more generic than FB. Sure, FB had its share of elves, dwarfs, and orcs, but it did feel like its own thing with its own feel.
I actually disagree with this. AoS is anything but generic. It's what I would call cosmic fantasy, and the models have a look all their own. The lore is completely batshit, but hardly unoriginal. Yeah, the Stormcasts are the very definition of no personality, but to balance it out we have steampunk dwarves, elf-medusa hybrids, and an entire faction of tree people.

Whether it's actually good is another thing, and one I'd say isn't even up for debate. The AoS setting is incredibly poorly thought out. It's next to impossible to even define where it takes place, since it has no concrete places or connections. It's less like a painting on a canvas and more like random splotches of paint splattered across a forest. "There's umm, like these mini-dimensions that like, float in space and, umm, you like... travel through these gates to move between them and... uhh..." It removes any sort of concreteness or consequence from the setting, since there's no established locations or maps, but just disconnected individual blips instead. No definition of what the whole looks like, how anything is located in relation to anything else, no distances or borders. I typed "Age of Sigmar map" into google image search, and all it shows is random nonsensical maps where the landmass doesn't even have proper borders.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Hawki said:
I think the SJWs would want the SoB to be basically an army of Reys.

What the SoBs actually are though, are an organization staffed with fanatical zealots with access to better equipment then most branches of the Imperiums immense military and who are reckless to the point where they tend to make situations worse for all involved when not under the command of an Inquisitor, and sometimes even that wont help.

Aug 31, 2012
Huh...so that plastic SoB clock being 5 to midnight in the Squat video actually meant something.

Well shit, I have so much unpainted plastic. 2019 suggested release date means I should have at least 3 or 4 more models painted by then, so I can probably justify buying some.

Hawki said:
I'd rather have the Old World back than Age of Sigmar. :(
Word. At least they are doing WHFRP V4.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
gigastar said:
Hawki said:

What the SoBs actually are though, are an organization staffed with fanatical zealots with access to better equipment then most branches of the Imperiums immense military and who are reckless to the point where they tend to make situations worse for all involved when not under the command of an Inquisitor, and sometimes even that wont help.
Uh, it's the imperium's M.O. in general to do nothing but suck on a grand scale. I mean, they'll win battles, maybe a war here or there, but "make situations worse for all involved, have the other guy blink first" is basically the Guard's battle strategy.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Silvanus said:
Zontar said:
Who has complained about them on that basis? Can I get some links?
Can I ditto this? I mean, I'm remembering various threads about female models in the GW line and the only complaint Imre,ember hearing about the sisters was the huge expense of an all metal army combined with typically hilariously bad rules. Hell, most arguments for more lady models in 40k tend to go "that would be a bad business decision because there's already a couple female models and the all female faction sells like ass, so shadup about getting a couple plastic lady guardsman."

I think this is a case of "I like the thing, so obviously people I don't like hate the thing".

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:

Oh, and something-something-Fantasy, something-something you bastards, yadda yadda yadda.
I guess this image needs an update:

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
altnameJag said:
gigastar said:
Hawki said:

Uh, it's the imperium's M.O. in general to do nothing but suck on a grand scale. I mean, they'll win battles, maybe a war here or there, but "make situations worse for all involved, have the other guy blink first" is basically the Guard's battle strategy.
Yeah but the Sisters lack both the numbers of the Guard and the superior equipment and ability of the Astartes.

Unless they have a Saint to rally around its generally assured that whatever the Sisters get involved in will turn into a shitshow.

Also contrary to general belief its only the Ecclesiarchy (which includes both the Inquisition and the Sisters) and certain Astartes chapters that have the witch hunt mentality. Even imperium controlled territories in space known to be frequented by Tyranid splinter fleets arent really on guard for a genestealer infestation.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
bartholen said:
I actually disagree with this. AoS is anything but generic. It's what I would call cosmic fantasy, and the models have a look all their own. The lore is completely batshit, but hardly unoriginal. Yeah, the Stormcasts are the very definition of no personality, but to balance it out we have steampunk dwarves, elf-medusa hybrids, and an entire faction of tree people.

Whether it's actually good is another thing, and one I'd say isn't even up for debate. The AoS setting is incredibly poorly thought out. It's next to impossible to even define where it takes place, since it has no concrete places or connections. It's less like a painting on a canvas and more like random splotches of paint splattered across a forest. "There's umm, like these mini-dimensions that like, float in space and, umm, you like... travel through these gates to move between them and... uhh..." It removes any sort of concreteness or consequence from the setting, since there's no established locations or maps, but just disconnected individual blips instead. No definition of what the whole looks like, how anything is located in relation to anything else, no distances or borders. I typed "Age of Sigmar map" into google image search, and all it shows is random nonsensical maps where the landmass doesn't even have proper borders.
That seems to be an argument for saying it's generic.

I haven't heard the term "cosmic fantasy" before, but from what I understand of AoS, I'd call it an example of "planar fantasy" (to nick a term from 'Pantheon'). There isn't exactly a lack of this kind of fantasy, especially in games. Fantasy Battle did take inspiration from real-world civilizations/cultures, but they did feel fleshed out within their setting. Even if we have "elf-medusa hybrids" or whatnot, if they're not fleshed out, that doesn't suggest to me that they aren't being generic.

Samtemdo8 said:

Think it's intentional or not that that Sister reminds me of Joan of Arc?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
bartholen said:

That seems to be an argument for saying it's generic.

I haven't heard the term "cosmic fantasy" before, but from what I understand of AoS, I'd call it an example of "planar fantasy" (to nick a term from 'Pantheon'). There isn't exactly a lack of this kind of fantasy, especially in games. Fantasy Battle did take inspiration from real-world civilizations/cultures, but they did feel fleshed out within their setting. Even if we have "elf-medusa hybrids" or whatnot, if they're not fleshed out, that doesn't suggest to me that they aren't being generic.

Samtemdo8 said:

Think it's intentional or not that that Sister reminds me of Joan of Arc?

I am pretty sure that was the whole point of the Sisters of Battle in a nutshell.

An Army of Joan of Arcs.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
gigastar said:

Personally, as someone who's obviously an SJW around here, I always liked that about the SoB. The lore did not pull any punches with them, just as they didn't do with anyone back in those days (before Matt Ward was allowed to fanwank the Space Marines in their codices). They are modeled after the crusading monastic orders after all (if gender-flipped) and just like their real world inspiration they are bad-ass warriors, who also happen to think that "The Emperor will sort them out" is a totally valid tactic to rooting out heresy.

Also back in 3rd and 4th ed it was hilarious to just drop flame templates everywhere while using Faith to tank railgun shots to the face of basic Sisters. Oh and the Immolator is the coolest kind of Rhino, fite me.