Games you accidentally learned from

Ryanrulez5

Nov 24, 2010
strangley god of war i learned greek mythology and assasins creed basiclly a history and a italin class

LittleJoeRambler

Nov 3, 2011
Major_Tom said:
daveman247 said:
Major_Tom said:
daveman247 said:
The only thing i can think of recently was being able to recall the names of the ww11 weapons in a museum from memory alone. Thankyou medal of honour/ Call of duty :D
Alright, what's this?
And this?
No idea :D

Trust somebody to pick the obscure ones...
I cheated a bit, they were both just prototypes. First one is the StG 45(M), a successor to StG 44. The other one is a Type 4, a Japanese M1 Garand copy with some modifications (like the integral 10-round magazine).
Aww, should have left some more time for me to guess. I was gonna guess an early version of the MP44 for the first, and reserve my opinion on the second because you can't tell if it's bolt-action or semiautomatic (though, if bolt, it'd have to be a left-handed model). It does look very much like the Garand though.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Someone bought me this amazing PC game, with it I'm learning how to speak Italian.... wait Rosetta Stone's not a game?!

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
TephlonPrice said:
Assassin's Creed games.

Believe it or not, it's like playing a history lesson where you can kill people in a variety of interesting ways. I really think Assassin's Creed is one of the most educational games I've played - and that's saying something.
No kidding, especially the second one. I spent a lot of time reading every piece of info on every single person I ran into and every building I climbed. I know a couple times I went and looked up a few people and places just out of curiosity.
Agreed with both of you fine chaps, the detail in these games is what prompted the "must learn italian" crusade I'm on!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
putowtin said:
Someone bought me this amazing PC game, with it I'm learning how to speak Italian.... wait Rosetta Stone's not a game?!

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
TephlonPrice said:
Assassin's Creed games.

Believe it or not, it's like playing a history lesson where you can kill people in a variety of interesting ways. I really think Assassin's Creed is one of the most educational games I've played - and that's saying something.
No kidding, especially the second one. I spent a lot of time reading every piece of info on every single person I ran into and every building I climbed. I know a couple times I went and looked up a few people and places just out of curiosity.
Agreed with both of you fine chaps, the detail in these games is what prompted the "must learn italian" crusade I'm on!
Oh thank God! I'm not the only one that's obsessed with learning Italian after playing these games. I'm just glad that the books have a translation guide in the back so I can sorta learn as I go.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Oh thank God! I'm not the only one that's obsessed with learning Italian after playing these games. I'm just glad that the books have a translation guide in the back so I can sorta learn as I go.
true, and I can now swear at my mother and look sweet and innocent whilst doing it!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Fallout: New Vegas taught me how to make thermite, and about its properties.
Not a game, but still: King of the Hill taught me how to make mustard gas.
It worries me that this is the the sort of stuff I pick up on...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
putowtin said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
true, and I can now swear at my mother and look sweet and innocent whilst doing it!
And classy, don't forget that! Bonus points for using musical terms for everything, makes everything you say sound more impressive that it actually is.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I, for one, didn't realize that Gahndi was a tyranical, blood-thirsty overlord, but Sid Meier's Civilization set that straight!

Hamish Durie

Apr 30, 2011
Kvaedi said:
Age of Empires definitely taught me more about history than any class ever has, and more importantly made it interesting enough that I wanted to read about it on my own as well.
yeah that was pretty my experiance in a nutshell

ClanCrusher

Constructive Critic
Mar 11, 2010
My personal favorite lesson from the ever awesome Mass Effect 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpgxry542M

Remember, Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest SOB in space.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Keeping up with supply and demand, fulfilling the needs of a population and efficiently manufacturing goods is all what I learned from Anno 2070. A masterpiece of a game.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Odbarc said:
Dynasty Warriors is based on a popular old book in China. Not sure if it has any historical accuracy or not. I learned a lot just by playing that game (they're all the same canonically).
There's a lot more to learn if you actually open the encyclopedia - which I happened to actually read one day while bored.

Alternatively: Mario is Missing.
I'm surprised it took this long to find Dynasty Warriors mentioned. I've learnt so much from series it's unbelievable, plus it got me interested enough to read through the entire RotK novel, which is absurdly long, and look into the history behind it.

Basically, the canon uses a lot of exaggeration and legend here and there, but you'd be surprised how much of it is grounded in fact.

Konatacalypse

Dec 30, 2010
I learned most of my Aztec, Iroquois, Roman, and German history through Civilization.

I also learned some basic about economics and business from World of Warcraft. Never underestimate the power of a servers economy in an MMO.

Wise_Smiling_Panda

Nov 22, 2010
Vampire: The Masquerade taught me about Lilith. Never knew Adam was such a pansy. My dad was honestly surprised when I knew more about the obscure parts of the Bible (note I'm an atheist), than the priest he questioned about that ol' feisty first wife of Adam.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Assassin's Creed and Age of Empires taught me about history. The latter I played when I was younger so I got a basic knowledge, but often when I play the former I find myself researching specific characters. I was more interested after reading Mario Puzo's "The Borgias" and then finding them in AssCred 2. Additionally the many, many World War games probably taught me stuff; although a lot of it I knew already.

I think Rollercoaster Tycoon and such games probably taught me about money. As did Sims. I think you often learn little things from more games than you realise.

warhammerfrog

Feb 7, 2011
Age of Empires (the first two) taught me quite a bit of history and got me really interested in history.
cant say i learnt much from assassin's creed, most of the history is pretty basic, generic stuff.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Eternal Sonata helped me pass World Music in 8th grade. It featured an autobiography of Frederic Chopin and made me look up allegretto, claves, crescendo, and solfege.

revenge6000

Oct 14, 2009
.No. said:
revenge6000 said:
daveman247 said:
ww11 weapons
The eleventh world war was by far the most tragic.
Oh GOD. That war was terrible. I'm really surprised that the solar system, let alone humanity survived that one.
Yeah, the Zorlaks really pulled our asses out of the fire on that one. It's gonna take forever to build that statue with seventeen torsos, though.