Games you are just plain terrible at?

Skorm034

Mar 12, 2012
Minecraft. I'm not joking. Either I'm horrible or all my friends are either extremely lucky or spend way to much time on it... And they all better eye for design than me which doesn't help. I spend 2 hours with them playing it, I die 13 times, and barely have a house (Because Creepers are jerks.) and they're running around with giant golden penis statues in the trees.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm terrible at turned based games (besides Chess but that doesn't count) as well as Minecraft. The former because I'm terrible at anticipating a million moves quickly to choose the best course of action, the latter because it's boring so I'm not going to train myself on learning all the special ways to get gold from anonymous mountain 67-B.

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
All Turn-Based Games.
I just can't do them.
I also sort of suck at keeping one playstyle for a long time, so I guess I suck at RPGs a bit because I die a lot when I decide to change it.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Anime fighters . Blazblue , guilty hear , arcana heart etc... There are so damn complicated . So many things you have to know . I wasn't bad at Persona 4 Arena , but that's like " babies first anime fighter".

Sir Pootis

Aug 4, 2012
Side scrolling platformers. 3D platformers, I'm fine at. Metroidvania style games, I'm great at. But regular side scrollers, like Mario or Sonic, I can never get the hang of. Right now I'm playing Yoshi's Island, and lost about 30 lives on 1 level.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Most fighting games and any RTS.
Back in the day I was pretty good at Tekken 5, but only next to the AI and my brother, never other people.
I was decent at the newest Mortal Kombat too, but other fighting games like MVC3 and its ilk I am awful at.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
First person shooters. Sucked at everything since the original wolfenstein 3D. And yes, fighting games. I suck at both badly. I also suck hard at dark souls. But i love it. Got my only Platinum trophy from it, but i'm still shit at it lol.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Almost any strategy games. With the exception of Dawn of War and Endless Space which I have developed some level of competency with, I simply do not understand what's going on and at best develop an unbreakable stalemate within the first hour. At worst I simply get my arse handed to me. Endless Space in particular has made me want to get better, but whenever I boot up, say, Master of Orion, I just fail miserably.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Pretty much the entirety of the fighting game and real-time strategy genres.
Same. I like both genres, but I'll never pretend to be any good at them. Turn based strategy games I'm okay at, but I'm too much of a slow turtler to play RTS games decently.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Trying to think of one, but I can't think of a game I'm TERRIBLE at that I haven't played before.

Just give me a tutorial and/or an hour at any game I'm an average player at worst.

An example of "at best" would be getting War Thunder for an hour, join my friend who plays tier 4 (while I'm tier 0) and end up leading the team with bi-planes.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
I don't "get" RTS games. I kind of throw my guys at the other guys and hope for the best. Occasionally it works, but nearly never. When there's a base-building element like in StarCraft I'm more likely to not be demolished completely, because I understand that bit, but in games like the Total War series which are more about the actual troops I just can't get my head around which units have to do what and why these guys are being decimated but the others are doing fine against like three times more dudes and what is happening please help me please help.

As a particular game, I really, really suck at AwesomeNauts. I have a tonne of fun failing at it, but I rarely do well. I do keep myself to bot matches with the only friend of mine who has it, so I don't spoil anyone's fun with it, but that also means I'm not getting much better.

franticfarken

Mar 25, 2013
Grand strategies, if I enjoyed micromanaging everything everywhere..... I don't know where to even head from there.

SqueakyNancy

Aug 25, 2013
The Assassins Creed series from Brotherhood onwards.

Perhaps it's just my slight obsessive tendencies, but I really like 100% in a sandbox area before moving onto the next, and I don't feel right with finishing a mission without the 100%. So when I see that I've done what the game asked me to do but not in the specific way it wants, suddenly it doesn't give me the full recognition for doing it.

The man you wanted dead is now dead game! He may not have done a triple back-flip somersault while screaming the tune to "God Save The Queen" as he fell onto that spike and it took him longer than sixty seconds to fall onto said spike, but he did indeed fall on a spike and die!

Why must it feel like punishment when I can't jump through your hoops all the time? Controller-snapping, curse-inducing load of crap.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
I can't do RTS games. Strangely, I'm actually really good at unit control and I can organize a triple layered firing line like nobody's business but I can't be expected to lead my troops AND build more troops AND research upgrades AND build buildings AND watch my harvesters all at the same time. Unless I can control all of that other shit from my main screen or have it successfully automate itself then you can count me out.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I'm as terrible at sports games in general as I am in real life, which is to say I suck big time. I'd say sports games (I'm counting most racing games in this) are the ONLY games where I just cannot be good at no matter how long I play them, and since I hate playing them to begin with I'm probably not going to be playing them for long enough to get good at them anyway.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Football (soccer) games, not that I buy them but when me and some friends have "gaming Sundays" every now and again (eat, drink & multiplayer) someone always brings FIFA and I suck at it!

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Platformers. Playing through Rush Bros co-op with a friend. Out of the 30 levels or so I finished first perhaps 2 times, I only completed about 20 of those levels (I swear, some of the later levels are completely stupid).

That said, he has no chance against me in turn-based or RTS.

ParanoidEngineer

May 20, 2009
XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Not the strategy part that is, but the base-management. Seriously, countries leave me all the times. I'm trying a new game this time where I'm focusing all of my efforts on satellites, interceptors, new interceptors, and keeping the nations happy. It's working somewhat at the moment. Fingers crossed...

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
I'm abysmal at fighting games. No sense of timing with them.

In close second place, sports games. That's probably partly because I have no interest in the genre, but even so I'm pretty terrible. Never manage to mentally map the controls in the way I can with other genres.

Surprisingly, I'm actually pretty good at racing games, but I think that's partly because of the dozens of hours spent on Episode One Racer back in the day. A game which is downright ridiculous in terms of twitch reflexes and optimal placement.
This isn't even the worst track:

(Sorry about the LP-ness of the vid)