Games you bought due to nostalgia/popularity, but didn't like

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
Guitar Hero 3. I KNEW Neversoft shat all over Guitar Hero's good name, I KNEW the songs weren't as good as in previous installments, and worst of all, I KNEW I wouldn't like it, but I BOUGHT IT ANYWAY (for $20, so it's not a major loss). Why? I had hope that it wasn't as bad as I remembered it being at a friend's house. All I can say in its defense is that is has Knights of Cydonia and My Name is Jonas.

Also, I bought Street Fighter II, and I couldn't get into it. I can't play a 2D fighter to save my life; that third dimension is NECESSARY.

Fantastico

Jan 25, 2009
Woe Is You said:
Fantastico said:
Mega Man 9 - I always loved Mega Man, but I had forgotten how hard that series was, and Capcom made good on their word when they said that this would be the hardest of them all: I only beat 1 level(Gravity Man's stage), and that alone nearly drove me mad, and all the other stages were impossible. Once I got to this one stage with the most elaborate disappearing-block section I'd ever seen, I finally said "screw this!", and never touched it again after that. Challenge is one thing, but this was just infuriating!
It really isn't the hardest Mega Man, though. It's tough, surely, but what NES Mega Man wasn't? Mega Man 2 probably was: the levels themselves were actually much harder than the bosses were. Heat Man's prolonged stage with those disappearing platforms was particularly infuriating.

After games like Bioshock, though, MM9 was really really refreshing to play. Polar opposites in almost every way.
No, I'm pretty sure MM9 was the hardest. I've played MM1-8, and I can say that they were all 'doable' at least. MM9, though was literally impossible, and I wanted to give up every step of the way. That disappearing block section - complete with bottomless pits and respawning 'shadow men' - finally made me throw in the towel. I'd never thrown a controller in anger before, until I played MM9. I had never been so frustrated in my entire life!

And you didn't have to do that disappearing block section at Heat Man's Stage, could've just used one of those items instead.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Evil Dead game. I think it's titled "This Is My Boomstick" or something equally pointed. I bought it because I thought I would have a fun time busting zombie backside. Oh woe, naivety. I found myself playing a klunky, badly scripted 3rd-person shooter with some of the worst controls I've ever seen.

Alas.

Jul 25, 2008
Alright, I'll say it: Psychonauts. Really, it's pretty much just an average platformer. Also, the controls and combat kind of suck.

CIA said:
hannahdonno said:
CIA said:
I agree. The ATB system is the scourge of the earth in my opinion.

The new battle system for XIII looks...intriguing.
Yes, it totally fucks up all that FF is good at. I haven't seen the new battle system, what is it like?
Think KOToR and Kingdom Hearts mixed together. That is just form what I see though.

Turn-based is out, I'm afraid.
No, it's pretty much turn-based.

Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tcN_Gq9nvI&feature=channel_page

Also, the battle music rocks.

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
Ziadaine said:
Sonic and the Black Knight. My friend had a voucher so we decided to ues it to borrow for a night and test it. BIGGEST. FAILURE. EVER.
same up with me and sonic and the secret rings, i was like, this is ok until i beat the first training level, in which the crappy rock song starts up, every time you beat a portion of that world, which had like 40 parts.. lets just say i wanted to return it after the tutorial, that is like a new record with me.

Zephirius

Jul 9, 2008
Half-Life 2.

Yeah, I dare say it.

It was a pretty good (not great) game and all, but my god the instability. Source and Steam really don't mix. Valve is pretty crap at that, I never had problems with Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and that runs on Source.

We could start an argument about how I never got past Ravenholm, but I can really only reply that, if Valve had wanted me to enjoy their game so much, they should've made it more stable so I could actually get past Ravenholm without having to save every 30 seconds, for fear of crashing.

devildog1170

Apr 17, 2009
CIA said:
hannahdonno said:
CIA said:

Yes, it totally fucks up all that FF is good at. I haven't seen the new battle system, what is it like?
Think KOToR and Kingdom Hearts mixed together. That is just form what I see though.

good. chrono trigger had a realtime/wait a minute battle system, and that worked out. same with FFIV, i kept attacking while my enemies were attacking. not to mention it goes much faster than watching some boring 5 second animation

ThatJoelGuy

Jul 23, 2008
US Crash Fire said:
i loved FFX!
exept for that laughing scene that i couldnt skip.
that part made my ears bleed
heh i know exactly what you mean. yeah X was good.
the game i bought because of hype and didnt like was actualy XII

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
RE5.

I wanted this game, but was willing to wait for a price drop. Then I signed on one day and had 7 people on my friends list all playing RE5. "Alright, that's it. I guess I better suck it up and buy this game."

Within a week and a half I had beaten it 3 times and unlocked pretty much everything there was to unlock. Mercs is only so fun, and a pay-to-play Versus mode? Hell no. Total play time the first time through? 10 hours. Really? Not knowing where stuff is located and what I need to do, and it still only offers 10 hours of gameplay (on Vet by the way)? Ridiculous.

I mean, it's a fine game, and worth a rental for sure, but RE4 is better in every conceivable way, and there are much MUCH better games out there that are hyped much less than RE5.

VeX1le

Aug 26, 2008
Zhalath said:
Final Fantasy III. I thought it would be excellent, but it was slow, didn't make sense, and just confused me. Meanwhile, I loved IV.
damn it i got ninja'ed

CIA

Sep 11, 2008
Castrate the Heathen said:
Alright, I'll say it: Psychonauts. Really, it's pretty much just an average platformer. Also, the controls and combat kind of suck.

CIA said:
hannahdonno said:
CIA said:

No, it's pretty much turn-based.

Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tcN_Gq9nvI&feature=channel_page

Also, the battle music rocks.
Oh No. I've been cyber owned. I bow to your greater knowledge.

I knew I was right. Look at the wikipedia article.

About To Crash

Apr 24, 2009
Super Mario: The Lost Levels. I remembered it being hard, and technically the "real" sequel to Super Mario, but it didn't add anything to the games, while number three did an astoundingly good job of improving on what was already great.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
starcraft, I think I bought that game twice, once when it was kinda new and again later when it was dirt cheap and both times I ended up returning it since I could not get into the gameplay or the story

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
Well the only one I can think of is Fallout. When I finished Fallout 3 I liked it enough to check out the earlier ones, since people always moaned how they were better.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is about. I didn't like them. Although maybe I'm just spoiled from Fallout 3, but then that would mean it's the same about the Fallout fanboys.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
The original Fable. Oh God, it's just so boring. If Link played that obvious ripoff, the facepalm would be so epic it might just destroy the world.

And yes I am aware that Fable isn't just a Zelda ripoff, but that's the biggest vibe I got.

US Crash Fire

Apr 20, 2009
OH MY GOD OF WAR! I GOT FUCKED!
i bought GOWCOO used from gamestop yesterday and when i open it today, ITS A FAKE!
the disc looks legit but the plastic part of the UMD is all clear plastic, its too thin, and looks like some knock off made in china crap! AND IT WONT EVEN PLAY ON MY PSP! Gamestop sold me a fake! im going in first thing tomorow! OH WAIT! the guy who sold it to me! his name is on the reciept! FIRED! im going for blood! (or a legit copy of the game)

Oct 21, 2008
Simalacrum said:
Street Fighter IV. Yes, i know people keep on saying its amazing but i found the controls awkward, and i couldn't pull off any of the combo's and such.
I loved the old games, 3 in particular. But that game was so cheap, collision detection was set up by a blind guy, and the balance between the characters that used to be soooo good, officially sucks now.

WeirdNeville

Apr 27, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Street Fighter IV. Yes, i know people keep on saying its amazing but i found the controls awkward, and i couldn't pull off any of the combo's and such.
This.
I still have my SNES and Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Back in the day I was ok at it too. Fireballs gave me RSI aged 14. However, The new one made me feel like I'd never picked up a controller before. I sold it to a friend after less than an hours play, and don't regret it.