Games you bought due to nostalgia/popularity, but didn't like

manicfoot

Apr 16, 2008
Oblivion - I thought it was good at first but everything got repetitive. All the dungeons, olbivion gates and environments looked the same which made exploring really boring. The characters had no personality at all and everything just felt really... plastic. The only thing I loved about it was the musical score.

Bioshock - Yes, its atmospheric but from what I've played from it so far (about 6 hours in) all it does is throw some crazy at you and that gets boring after a while. Going past those vending machines got extremely tedious too "Welcomeee to the circusss of VALUEEEEE" as did fighting the big daddies. I'll play it to the end to form a proper opinion on it, but as of writing I can't see why people like it so much.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Irridium said:
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Irridium said:
Call of Duty 4 - thats right, I said it. Sure, it went from WW2 to modern times, but why is that such a big deal?
Whats the differance between now and then ?

Yep ALOT !
yeah, but what makes COD4 so special?
It Basically Rewrote how to make a FPS without actually adding anything new
It had everything to make a perfect FPS and thats what it is one of the best FPS to date

cause i know alot of people who got into FPS because of COD4

to simply put COD4 nailed everything right the intensity,fun,balance,realism,characters,purpose,replay value everything was done spot on

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Irridium said:
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
Irridium said:
Call of Duty 4 - thats right, I said it. Sure, it went from WW2 to modern times, but why is that such a big deal?
Whats the differance between now and then ?

Yep ALOT !
yeah, but what makes COD4 so special?
It Basically Rewrote how to make a FPS without actually adding anything new
It had everything to make a perfect FPS and thats what it is one of the best FPS to date

cause i know alot of people who got into FPS because of COD4

to simply put COD4 nailed everything right the intensity,fun,balance,realism,characters,purpose,replay value everything was done spot on

Ignatius87

Jan 30, 2009
I bought tomb raider anniversary recently, because I kind of remembered playing the original tomb raider as a kid and not liking it. I know, that doesn't make sense, but I was hoping it would be better than I remembered it. It wasn't.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Half life 2, Team Fortress 2, I got the orange box and only enjoyed Portal.

Supreme commander, Total Annihilation had a poor successor.

Can't think of anymore right now, tend to be rather lucky with games.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Fable II.

Fable: The Lost Chapters was such a gem of a game and I loved every minute of it.

Fable II was too short, worked too much on graphics and slo-mo bullet time, and those tedious jobs were a pain.

Eh, so it goes.

EDIT: Whoops. Sorry for the double post. Im new here :(

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Homeworld 2. Normally I like RTS's and I had heard great things about this one, but for me it seemed so slow and had a really small unit cap. It also didn't have a good tutorial so I still haven't figured out what all the buttons and tacticts do.

xenxander

Nov 14, 2007
Most people aren't following the topic of this thread very well. It was supposed to be:
Games you bought on Virtual Console or Wii live that you got for nostalgia sake but discovered you don't like them as much as you remembered liking them.

Or probably in spirit of the thread, say:
Games you bought for retro systems due to nostalgia and found you honestly don't enjoy them any longer

So in light of this I will follow the topic and only post those:

Crystalis, for gameboy:
Wow I had such good feelings about it way back in the day but when I finally bought it for $3 at gamestop, found out I actually don't enjoy it that much.

Ghosts and Goblins, for Wii:
That game series is one of the most abusive to date and I wonder how I had the patience to sit through that game and beat it, twice, to get the real ending back then...

Eye of the Beholder, for SNES, bought again for gameboy color
Actually got through it - it uses old DND 2nd ed. rules. I can't get through the first two levels anymore without growing bored of the environment.

Techmo: Secret of the Stars, for SNES
I found it on ebay and decided, why not.. I used to enjoy that game and it was the only RPG Techmo ever made. I also had to d/l it for ROM because I couldn't really enjoy the SNES version any longer. The ROM let me give the exp for the players so they could level up fast and I could just get on with the story and building up of the town.. it still didn't age well and it wasn't then, nor now, a very good game.

Commando
I don't know if this is for Wii download but I returned to it a little while ago on ROM and found it to be 'just the same thing over and over', but it does have some secrets to find, yet they don't feel very rewarding in the long haul.

MegaDale

Mar 9, 2009
Captain Schpack said:
Halo 3, Crackdown
Seriously, crackdown? I had so much fun with that game it's not funny (mmm paradox).

I bought Mass Effect solely on it's popularity and didn't enjoy it. I also aquired a copy of Oblivion on my travels, kinda boring ain't it?

Oldmanwillow

Mar 30, 2009
Tekrae said:
Crysis. Looked awesome, was kinda fun but I ended up spending more time pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del after it crashed than actually playing. A perfect testimonial to the fact EA never gets anything right. They'll rush the developer and it'll either suck or have more bugs than a termite nest.
If you had a computer that could run crysis well it wouldn't crash. If you do have a computer that can run crysis well maybe you are playing it for too long. My comp starts crashing crysis after 2 hours of play but thats because i over clock to get my pc to run it on maximum.

Oldmanwillow

Mar 30, 2009
Worgen said:
starcraft, I think I bought that game twice, once when it was kinda new and again later when it was dirt cheap and both times I ended up returning it since I could not get into the gameplay or the story
I agree star craft sucks. Its just a rip off of warhammer 40k, to top that dawn of war 1 is way better then star craft could ever be.

FOR THE EMPEROR.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Gears of War 2. After much bugging from my friends I caved and bought it, and it is by far my most hated game on my 360. I was dragged through the entire boring and predictable storyline on co-op and I have never wanted my time back from a game more than I did then by the end of it. Multiplayer is atrocious to.

Oblivion. Did not drag me in like an RPG should, and couldn't bring myself to play it for more than a couple of hours. Fallout 3 might be engulfed in turd colored browns, but at least I was immersed.

Halo series. (Obviously)

I could list at least 10 others that are 4-5 star games if I felt like.

I can't think of any games from the earlier days that were hyped that I did not like however (I'm talking pre PS2 here). Obviously there were tons of bad games from back then, but at least the ones that were raved about were usually pretty good (I'm talking OoT, System Shock 2, Half-Life, Golden Eye etc) Maybe it was because I was more immature, but more likely gameplay and storyline's take a back seat nowadays. I mean I played the pre PS2 era FF's, Zelda's, Mario's etc etc as recently as 5 months ago and still enjoyed them. Only some of the shooters didn't seem to age (Perfect Dark, Golden Eye), simply because graphics play a huge part in those games (compared to RPG's that can be totally text based and still be good). Whereas now there are heaps of games that are said to be almost "Jesus" and to deliver us to the promised land of gaming, but often turn out to be average.

Oldmanwillow

Mar 30, 2009
Zephirius said:
Half-Life 2.

Yeah, I dare say it.

It was a pretty good (not great) game and all, but my god the instability. Source and Steam really don't mix. Valve is pretty crap at that, I never had problems with Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and that runs on Source.

We could start an argument about how I never got past Ravenholm, but I can really only reply that, if Valve had wanted me to enjoy their game so much, they should've made it more stable so I could actually get past Ravenholm without having to save every 30 seconds, for fear of crashing.
Get a better computer and update your video drivers, half-life 2 doesnt crash at all if you do theses two simple things. valve makes great games.