Games you can't win (Spoilers within)

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Dalisclock said:
The White Hunter said:
In Wolfenstein New Order BJ goes down with the death island at the end. Sort of. Cliffhanger.

I should play Old Blood...
Well, it was sort of happy because he got Deathshead and managed to rescue the resistance. It just required
BJ to sacrifice himself
It's a bit cliffhangery about that.

Still,excellent gasme, got some feels out of me inbetween mowing down nazis.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Dragon Age 2, in many ways

You live in the end and stop the threats of Mages and Templars in Kirkwall but

1. Kirkwall is pretty much destroyed by the fighting.
2. The good people in Kirkwall who struggled for peace have been killed by your (or your companions') actions including Grand Cleric Elthina.
3. Your entire family (except your uncle and MAYBE one of your siblings) is dead.
4. Many of your companions may be dead or have abandoned you. Some might have even betrayed you. Your love interest is not protected from this, meaning you can easily be betrayed by the person you loved and have to kill them.
5. You start a massive civil war across Thedas
6. You released Corypheus (the closest thing Thedas has to Satan) from his prison and he becomes the primary antagonist in Inquisition.
7. As of Inquisition, you and any of your remaining companions are on the run because of your involvement in the end of DA2.

You screwed up so bad that Hawke
can sacrifice themselves in Inquisition to atone for their mistakes in DA2.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Nethergate, which the OP mentioned isn't unusual among Spiderweb games in presenting a 'can't win scenario'.

Among Spiderweb games, I think the Geneforge series in particular shows this trend quite well. Particularly when it comes to the 'canon' endings for the games.

The canon ending for G3 has to be either the protagonist dying before the end of the game, or becoming a mutagen addicted lackey for the Rebel faction, who go on to commit mass genocide in their ending. There's a bit of fan speculation that the insane monomaniacal mutant named 'Monarch' who turns up out of nowhere to menace both the Shaper and Rebel factions halfway through the fourth game is the player from the third game. Either way, neither of the travelling companions from the third game want to talk about the protagonist, which makes it sound like things worked out very well.

Helped the Shapers and stopped the Rebels from releasing the 'Unbound', an army of genetically engineered psychotic balrogs- earning the trust of the shaper leaders Alawan and Miranda, being named an honorary shaper and being given governership of the surviving rebels after the civil war is over? Too bad, the canon ending leaves Alawan crippled for life, miranda is dead, and the unbound are released and overrun the continent, leading to (again) mass genocide and the continued dragging on of the civil war.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
The Half-Life series?

I still haven't wiped out the Combine, so I haven't won. When do I get to win Valve? Is this your way of telling me that, in life, I don't always get to win? Despite my best efforts? Sometimes aliens just bust in your windows and kill your friends and a big robot dog appears to save the day but it's too late and you just gotta deal with it but then time stops and I don't get revenge?

I don't like that lesson. I'd prefer Half-Life 3.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The White Hunter said:
[

It is, but it does seem rather heavily hinted at, considering BJ
wasn't gonna make it to the helicopter before the nuclear strike hit.
The fact that the next game was a prequel practically confirms it. Not to mention the Nazis still rule the world regardless, which is still depressing as hell.

For that matter, Singularity doesn't really have a good ending either. No matter what ending you get,
the Soviets, or some variant thereof, still run the world in the new timeline and it's heavily implied that the ending where you end in the helicopter is the canon one, due it being the only one that isn't a summery. Though that ending is slightly less depressing then the others, with the implication that the Soviet Union in the new timeline is a little less oppressive then the other ones in the game

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Mike000 said:
Kyrian007 said:
Once upon a time that was the default "mode" of video games. You could never "win." Pitfall springs to mind. Galaga, Space Invaders, Pac-Man... they never ended. So that really doesn't count. The one from that era that does is the one where never being able to win, was the point. Where the point of the game is that the only way to win is not to play. Missile Command.
Actually, supposedly Pitfall did have an ending - there were something like 7 treasures to find within the time limit. I don't know of anyone outside of the developers who ever saw it though.
Urban legend. Playing to the "final screen" of Pitfall was possible... then you exited to the right and were once again in the first screen where the game began. It was a never-ending loop.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Dalisclock said:
The White Hunter said:
[

It is, but it does seem rather heavily hinted at, considering BJ
wasn't gonna make it to the helicopter before the nuclear strike hit.
The fact that the next game was a prequel practically confirms it. Not to mention the Nazis still rule the world regardless, which is still depressing as hell.

For that matter, Singularity doesn't really have a good ending either. No matter what ending you get,
the Soviets, or some variant thereof, still run the world in the new timeline and it's heavily implied that the ending where you end in the helicopter is the canon one, due it being the only one that isn't a summery. Though that ending is slightly less depressing then the others, with the implication that the Soviet Union in the new timeline is a little less oppressive then the other ones in the game
Yeah but we'll see, I'll be happy to just see more from the studio behind new order frankly. Wonderful game, bit too drawn out, but all else it was great.

Singularity is underated as fuck, the endings are super depressing though. Awesome fun game though.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Actually, does DEFCON count? Considering the entire point of the game is to fight a thermonuclear war and millions of people are going to die no matter how well you play, one could say you don't win DEFCON, you just lose fewer of your own people then the other guy.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Spec Ops: The Line
The best you can hope for is to survive, but theres no winning, no matter what you do you loose. Some may see the best possible ending as a win, but your not the hero of any ending, you are a monster, thats why you dont win

Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core

You dont win, but man oh man do you go out in a blaze of glory. I knew how it had to end, but its to the credit of the game that I didnt give up, I never wanted to give up

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Coruptin said:
Did someone say games you can't win?

You just lost
*WHAP!* Bad Coruptin! :p

As for me, the Deponia trilogy. At the end of each title all your efforts end up with the character your playing as failing and the bad guy winning.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
AidoZonkey said:
Spec Ops: The Line
The best you can hope for is to survive, but theres no winning, no matter what you do you loose. Some may see the best possible ending as a win, but your not the hero of any ending, you are a monster, thats why you dont win
Even if you survive, it's debatable wether that's the "best" ending, to be honest. Well, I suppose compared with every other one, the ending where you both survive and surrender to the US troops at the end (or at least is killed by them), is probably one of the overall better ones since the US army would presumably at least help out the people in Dubai at least a bit. But still, I don't think any of them can be really called good for Walker to any extent. Even Walker himself realises that when he says "Requesting immediate evacuation of Dubai. Survivors: one too many" and later if he's taken home alive he responds "How did you survive this?" with "Who says I did".

Mike000

Nov 22, 2007
Kyrian007 said:
Mike000 said:
Kyrian007 said:
Once upon a time that was the default "mode" of video games. You could never "win." Pitfall springs to mind. Galaga, Space Invaders, Pac-Man... they never ended. So that really doesn't count. The one from that era that does is the one where never being able to win, was the point. Where the point of the game is that the only way to win is not to play. Missile Command.
Actually, supposedly Pitfall did have an ending - there were something like 7 treasures to find within the time limit. I don't know of anyone outside of the developers who ever saw it though.
Urban legend. Playing to the "final screen" of Pitfall was possible... then you exited to the right and were once again in the first screen where the game began. It was a never-ending loop.
uh...yes, if you just ran in one direction, it was a loop...but it was actually a non-euclidean maze. Switching from the above ground path to the underground one and running in the same direction, you'd see things like screen 1, 3, 7, 5, 9, 8. Reversing direction on some screens would take you to somewhere other than the screen you had just left. It was too much of a pain to track.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
FEAR: Extraction Point.

Fate/Extra's ending involves you discovering that you
are simply a disconnected copy of a real person in a coma somewhere and therefore can't actually win because you're not human. You can however make one last wish before the system destroys you as the abberation you are.

I suppose Silent Hill: Shattered Memories counts, too, since
You died years ago.