Games you desperately want to like more than you do.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
fuzz said:
Batman Arkham City. The gameplay is solid but I think the open world nature is a detriment to the game. Gliding around isn't very fun, and I manage to get lost every time I play it. Also every time I play it I've forgotten what gadgets I have and what they do, so simple puzzles and things become very hard.
I'm totally with you there.
I'd replayed Asylum just before getting it to remember the controls, but when I got into City, I just felt like it would have been a much better game if it had been linear.
Not everything needs to be a sandbox!

Enizer

Mar 20, 2009
for me, it's skyrim and diablo 3

diablo 3 in my eyes is an action game, not rpg, not even action rpg, it's just action, it looks great, gameplay is kind of fun, but.. eh.. somehow just falls short

skyrim, for having some MMO level grinding in a single player game

ever tried getting enchanting to 100, for instant no-extra-cost double power for enchants?
it's a PAIN
with no middle step, no flexibility in the enchanting untill excactly 100

also, oblivion, i played through completely at least 6 times, why, the custom spell system
in the elder scrolls game, was the attraction that overshadowed everything off the map
it was NOT balanced, that was excactly WHY it was fun, morrowinds spell system was less balanced, that's why i played morrowind more then oblivion
trying to find new overpowered combos was what kept me playing the game through sevral times

and now skyrim has no spell systems, for balance reasons..
i played skyrim for 145 hours total, MUCH MUCH less then any other elder scrolls game
*sigh*

..i miss the badly balanced spell crafting system...

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Any Bethesda game. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3...I hear all these stories about great adventures people have in them, and how great they are, but I somehow always lose interest after the first 30 minutes. Didn't even bother spending money on Skyrim.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Fallout... just can't get into those games.

Skyrim is really fun at the start but it loses it's appeal pretty quickly for me. Might be cause I play it on console though idk, lack of mods and what not.

League of Legends... yeah screw that game.

Bioshock is nice and all but I never finished it just got bored.

And Battlefield 3. I love battlefield but this one I can play maybe 20 minutes at a time before I get bored.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Minecraft.

It's a great game, and I loved Lego/s as a kid, but no matter how hard I try, I just cannot find it fun at all...

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Duke Nukem Forever.

I wanted to like it to justify the money i spent, but as we all should know it was all crap.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Dark Prophet said:
Supreme Commander.
Oh man, that game just clicks with me. It's actually ruined all other RTS games for me because of how much I love that game and every bit of the mechanics and the UI.

Alternately, OT: Company of Heroes is the opposite. I want to like that game, but everything about the game and the UI fights me at every turn. I've had soldiers retreat towards enemies, and crawl out of cover when pinned so that they can inch closer to the enemy shooting at them. Then there's valuable vehicles that just die off screen without so much as a warning. The game mechanics are great, but the UI just doesn't mesh with me at all. I really feel like the UI itself is always a second foe to overcome during the skirmish.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
I really want to enjoy Bioshock. I just can never get into it. Wanted to do it this summer. Ended up playing FIFA12, Sleeping dogs on xbox and CSGO, TF2 and MineCraft on PC.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
I actually love how you can be a huge dickhead as the male main character in P3FES. However, I did play P3P female MC first and loved it. My P3 experience is probably less tainted by the older versions because of that.

Right now the game I want to like is Guild Wars 2. I have a feeling I just need to get into it or just accept I'm not in the mood for another MMO right now.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Sam's sister posting. Day off work means I'm bored and using her account.

I wish she and I liked Skyrim better. It's amazing, but it's boring. There's no life to the game even with all the addons and downloads. We just can't get into it. I'll load it up, poke around for a bit, and then quit without even caring if I save. Maybe because we prefer games we can play together (thanks Secret of Mana, Diablo II and WoW for making us unable to game alone) but single player games don't catch us well.

That and I have carpal tunnel from wow and working a data entry job (I switched to management so I barely use a computer now) and Sam has a old shoulder injury that makes playing reaction based combat games physically painful for us.

Captcha: Who are you. Haha.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. The game is a visual treat, and the platforming parts are decent enough. I can't speak for the plot, having only gotten a couple hours in.

But the combat is godawful. This was only highlighted by the similarly executed but insanely more awesome combat in Darksiders II, which I picked up after putting down the former. El Shaddai's combat just feels shallow and lifeless; it doesn't feel like I'm really doing anything.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
The original Deus Ex...But please, hear me out before you abuse my flame shield.

The thing is, I know that Deus Ex is a good game despite its bugs (which essentially MAKE the game) and its rather dated graphics. I don't really know what my problem with it is but after playing the first level, then doing stuff around the UNATCO HQ and finding secrets...I can't bring myself to keep going. Which is a shame because I always have a blast when I play it, but it doesn't seem to be enough to actually make me want to carry on with the game.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Mass Effect 3. No question, hands down.

I wanted to love that game. At this point I'd be thrilled if I forgot it ever existed. And it would be just as good if I could simply forget that ME 3 makes the first two games suck.

Mass Effect 3 took away two of my favorite games, and I wanted to like it...

This is how insane I am, I rewrote the script for Mass Effect 3 in it's entirety the "correct" way just because the version Bioware presented was so atrocious. That's how crazy I am...
It was well over 200 hours of work. And I did it for NO GOD DAMN REASON other than to try to forget how shitty Mass Effect 3 really was... I'm insane. And I have a 300+ page word document on my computer titled "Mass Ef-fixed" to prove it.

I've been toying with the idea of sending it to Bioware with the tag line "This is what your negligent story telling has driven me to."

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Dawn of War, I want to like it, factions seem interesting and diverse, but the low unit cap in the setting seems odd, and just some of the other mechanics like relics don't go well with me. It's strange as well since I loved company of heros and that plays so similar, maybe that's what the problem is.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I really wish I liked Saint's Row 3 more. I loved Saint's Row 2 but I'd play the original before I'd put 3 back on. Why can't I just run up to someone and punch them instead of doing a flow-breaking WWE move on them? I liked the Halo series as well but I really wish Halo, 3 and, Reach had boss fights and weapons that reflected 500 years of human advancement.