Games You Didn't Expect to Be Good

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

I didn't give it my attention when it first came out. Downloaded a demo recently and immediately bought the game and played through it.

It's different, but the same. It's got (fairly simple) puzzles, platforming, satisfying weapons, and tense boss battles... everything a good Tomb Raider game needs.

I also didn't think that I'd like Mount & Blade, despite seeing a lot of fans on the internet. Then I swung my sword at a bandit whilst riding a horse and I was convinced of its awesomeness.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
Final Fantasy XII. It was such a departure from the rest of the series that I didnt want to touch it for years, but then I finally gave it a shot and enjoyed it.

onewheeled

Aug 4, 2009
DJ Hero has no right to be as good as it is.

When I first heard about it, I thought it was the dumbest thing ever. I mean, a Guitar Hero ripoff with crappy music? Why the hell would ANYBODY play that? But the more I looked into it, the more intrigued I was, and I finally bought it. I found it to be a flawed but incredibly fun, challenging, and most of all rewarding music game. More than any other game in the genre, I felt like I was in full control of the music, and nailing a tricky section and hearing the mix getting more complex was very exciting. I loved it.

The sequel, which took pretty much everything wrong with the original and fixed it, is now one of my favorite rhythm games of all time. Seriously, if you haven't tried this series, go try it now. It's incredible, if you just give it a shot.

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
God of War. I recall having my one of my friends talking about this awesome game on the PlayStation 2 (which none of us had because consoles cost a lot more money here than in other countries) that had you on a quest to kill the god of war. Me, being the history and mythology nerd that I am, chalked it as portraying itself as a Greek tragedy while being a mindless clusterfuck (in my defense, he did not do the game justice while describing it). I didn't even bother looking it up online; that's how stubborn I was about believing the game to be bad. In time I finally bought a PS2 and the game it came with was either God of War or Pro Evolution Soccer (soccer is really big down here and FIFA is not held in high esteem for some reason). I don't really like soccer games so I had to take the game I had been adamant on hating for so long. It didn't take long for me to realize how stupid I was for judging a book by it's cover.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Kingdom Hearts is totally childish since it has those stupid Disney characters and... Oh my gosh, it's actually good.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
ImSkeletor said:
GoldenRaz said:
I didn't really expect Alpha Protocol to be any good, having heard that it was bugged beyond repair and generally unplayable. I played through it three times before moving on to another game, and that was only so that I wouldn't get sick of it right away. Damn good fun, hope that Obsidian gets around to making a sequel, however unlikely that might be.
I don't have a link but I remember reading that Alpha Protocol had REALLY underperformed sales wise and that they wouldn't make a sequel.
True, but while the publisher Sega probably doesn't want anything to do with it, I recall reading somewhere that someone of the higher-ups at Obsidian claimed that they were excited to do a sequel, if the oppurtunity would arise.

Found the links, now that I actually searched for them:
Sega saying they won't have anything to do it it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101891-Low-Sales-Kill-Alpha-Protocol-Sequel]
Obsidian claiming to want to have another go. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110277-Obsidian-Would-Like-to-Make-Another-Alpha-Protocol-Game]

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
genericusername64 said:
Sion_Barzahd said:
theres 2-3 .hack animes, a 4 part game series, a series of novels and a series of graphic novels.
The first .hack game series was mediocre, the anime is boring, the graphic novels were terrible, and I don't want to read the novels. The GU series was an anomoly of goodness in an otherwise mediocre franchise
I couldnt disagree more i loved the manga and the games. Granted the anime and the novels weren't the best of works...

Rabidwolf27752

Mar 29, 2011
Hello everyone, interested in Let's Plays? want a good laugh? Tired of long youtube videos that you can just never get around to watching? Well fear not! RabidWolf9000 and his friends are here to save you. We are a rising Let's Play channel and need your support! Follow us and we will entertain you. Just go to: http://www.youtube.com/user/RabidWolf9000?feature=mhee and enjoy!