Games you didn't like... but finished anyway

Rouzeki

Feb 11, 2009
Gotta chime in on this one.

Here's two games I didn't like but finished, and current games I don't like and will finish and ones I won't.

first off, Knights in the Nightmare. In retrospect I don't hate it nearly as much as i once did- in fact id say its kind of intriguing...

But its a game with MASSIVE holes for a type like me. your juggling a weapon carrying system that had a durability system AND a melding system, lifespans of characters, and it suffers from my biggest hatred of isometric grid games which most people I assume weren't big on.

you can't freely move the pieces even as passive action. they can turn in particular ways and you have to hack at thin air for some to move at all. this isn't necessarily bad, but I always got annoyed when none of my people could swing at a dude on a pillar, and it took some 5-6 extra rounds to hit the guy. never mind the stories style felt a bit jarring and frankly depressing, and the multi-ending thing hit me for a loop in the worst way. I remember Skyping people I hadn't seen in awhile just to rant about that game.

second game is a bit stranger- Kirby's Epic Yarn. i picked this game up on release because i was a Kirby nut at the time- I have plushies, and a DS bag with Kirby on it. the problem was Super star Ultra (DS) set the bar WAAAAAAYYYYYYY to high, after punishing me for its 100% clear. I beat epic yarn almost as an afterthought, taking an hour or so each day, and glided through a level or two each time. maybe 5-6-7 hours, at best considering my stride.

Back then my response afterwards was a "ehh"... but its sunk in now, and I have to say- I HATE THIS GAME. and I know this ones my fault. it probably doesn't mean much to most out there, but Kirby Super star ultra's boss rushes (all of them) and challenge modes had kept me busy for weeks (MARX!!!)! It was my first brush with nintendo brand "hard" in years, and I was more then willing to play it out. It stripped some flesh off my back, and in the end I loved it. It was totally worth it. meanwhile I breezed through Epic yarn with almost no thought, and even less interest in going for the 100% clear, because I knew it couldn't hold a candle to Ultra.

In the end, despite my love of Kirby (favorite nintendo character), This forced me to weigh the scales on all the games I may have bought this year, and believe it or not, save Terraria, Binding of Isaac, and Minecraft, I either couldn't, or didn't buy ANY other game released this year, just because this game made me start weighing even the franchises i loved in my mind harder. i feel its going a bit far, but this may have been my most wasteful purchase in gaming. *glances to the left* oh wait, no. I've got worse.

cue people coming out of the woodwork to tell me Mass Attack or Return to Dreamland is awesome, and i hope it is, but i know i won't find as awesome an experience in kirby as the last 10 boss rush. that made me feel hardcore.

As for games im actively playing... Puzzlequest 2, and Borderlands.

Puzzlequest 1 is just better then two, apparently. If that's not enough, the DS version is actually worse then the others due to an known stat change to int's value. I'll keep playing it because its basically 1/4 diablo and 3/4s bejeweled, but part of the reason why is to fight my Fiancee's Sorcerer. she is going to wipe the floor with me, but we'll see...

Borderlands...I've sat there and theorized and theorized on this game. luckily i got it on steam sale, but after getting past the graphics that physically hurt my eyes, i got tied up in the character classes and the combat. but I've already gotten sick of the taking cover mess, and I've been harrowed by more then enough skags to just want to shotgun them to the skull.

Because I refuse to play it multiplayer (shaddap!) Lilith won the character draw, but I have to say I'm currently at Mad Mel (i think) and I'm seriously sick of this vehicle combat. it was annoying enough to have to rodeo lure out the psychos (but that was fun), then play Assasin because everyone else apparently packs infinite ammo, but these vehicle guys are seriously getting to me. I had to break up my firefights with guys on foot 5 separate times or more in 30-minutes due to be chased down in racers, phasewalking like mad between vehicles if necessary to split their fire to shell these things to death because I don't have friends to take gunner, and I can't take much more of that. this was fine in Halo 1 and 2, but NOT when I can get gibbed from the side by respawning jerks whilst im introducing sledgy shotgun to psycho #351, which is satisfying at least.

...whew, i feel better now.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Just_A_Glitch said:
Metro 2033. I loved the book, and the game wasn't bad, just not as good as I was expecting.

Also, I wouldn't say I didn't like it, but it wouldn't have been my first choice of games. Devil may Cry 4. It was good, I'm just not a fan of the series. I only played it while I was hanging with a friend who really played it (and I found out that only using the guns was a great way to playfully annoy her!).
Same here.

I could also put Stalker 2 and 3 in there.

Also Mass Effect 2, I don't know why I kept playing it.

Nabohs

Jan 18, 2011
I would have to say Enter the Matrix on the Gamecube. I was like 12 at the time, so I didn't really get the story and I was more interested in the gameplay

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I finished all of Brink's campaign missions.

...Then they gave me extra missions that were missions that had already been played on the opposite faction.

Oh God, the horror...
I finished it all though. What a major disappointment that game was.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
uncharted.
i liked the jumping around parts but i hated the combat, considering the amount of bullets it takes for something to die the reserve ammo was too small, shooting one R1 is a bad design choice, stop forcing that one me and OMG WHY DO I HAVE TO USE THE STUPID SIX-AXIS TO THROW GRENADES? also zombies? really?

the spud

May 2, 2011
Aidinthel said:
Beyond Good and Evil

I'm not going to rant, but suffice to say I really, really did not like it. In fact, I disliked it so much that I decided I needed to finish it so that I could justify my intense loathing for the game if it ever came up in conversation.
Finally, someone else who does not like it. I haven't finished it yet, but I doubt my opinion will change much unless the ending is a fucking godsend. The story is predictable, the characters cliche, and the gameplay lacks depth. I still liked the soundtrack and art style, though.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Resident Evil 5, didn't bring anything that new to the table. The only reason I finished it was because I was playing multiplayer with somebody eles so it made it tolerable.

Blubberburg

Sep 17, 2009
GTA 4,
Auto aim, which is lame and clunky naturally
Horrible driving (sure its fine and 'realistic'(until you crash or spin out then your car does 720 spins and makes for insane u turns) but is hopeless in a carchase or something
YOU HAD TO FLY HELICOPTERS!! Why!! optional is fine, forced to fly the clunkyest thing ever is painful
Depressing characters... man why did i play this game, it better not have been for acheivements

Odly i found the expansions of the game worthwhile playing, so confusing

jthwilliams

Sep 10, 2009
Gothic 4. That game was so bad (At least I thought it was bad) but I was sick and didn't have any other games, so I kept going till I beat it. It is a shame too because Gothic 1-3 where some of the best RPGs out there, Not TES good, but damn close

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
<Favorite game is Shadow of the Colossus

*resists urge to flame*

Nah, I'm joking. :p

OT: Possibly Mirror's Edge. I thought it had a neat concept, but a pretty flawed execution. I found myself having a difficult time figuring out where I'm supposed to go while in the midst of a chase despite the fact the game has a built in feature that points out the general direction of my destination. So as a result, I tend to die numerous times. It was not fun.

I also found the story and characters to be incredibly uninteresting. I kind of expected the game to end right after I saved Faith's sister. But no, the game had to drag on for one more level.

I apologize to anyone who enjoyed Mirror's Edge, but that's kind of how I felt about the game.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
the spud said:
Finally, someone else who does not like it. I haven't finished it yet, but I doubt my opinion will change much unless the ending is a fucking godsend. The story is predictable, the characters cliche, and the gameplay lacks depth. I still liked the soundtrack and art style, though.
Your thoughts mirror mine. When I started playing I got a very positive first impression simply because the art style reminded me of Psychonauts, and then it was all downhill from there. And don't hold your breath for the ending. My favorite way to describe the game's plot is "It's completely predictable right up until the point where it simply stops making sense."

Tamrin

Nov 12, 2011
-Drifter- said:
Ever played a game that you didn't really care for but, for some reason, were determined to see through to the end?
Wings of Liberty. Boring as hell campaign story coming from the first SC and Broodwar and the levels were less of a challenge and more a tutorial for when you?re ready for the multiplayer. The only thing good that came out of this is I went back and played Broodwar.

Black Ops. The numbers were not clever they were predictable and annoying. It was only made more frustrating hearing the protagonist complain about the numbers. I have to give Props to Treyarch for creating an immersive game because I wanted it all to be over just as much as Alex Mason.

Star Wars: Force Unleashed 2. The story was illogical and the gameplay was counterproductive of the entire point to a Force Unleashed game in that you were definitely leashed. Sure you could be unleashed but only after going all berserk but I feel that was only really put into the game to counter the counter balance of it all which was stupid as well to be that crazy powerful if even for a minute.

Every Grand Theft Auto game. I only get so far into a GTA series until I'm bored then wonder around the city playing like it's Saints Row and by the time I start getting back to the story I'm like screw it and blow up a bunch of cop cars with a tank.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
overpuce said:
The latest C&C. I didn't like their "improved" game mechanics. While it's different from the first 3 C&Cs, it was... TOO different for my taste. However I just had to see how the story ended.
So I am guessing you aren't including RA or Generals in the other C&C games.

As for me. Um. Yeah I can't say theres a game that I didn't like that I finished. I have enjoyed every game I have played for different reasons including some of the games that you guys are saying in this thread. The only game that springs to mind and thats becuase I DIDN'T finish it because i didnt like it is Demon Souls. After hearing all the praise for the game I really didn't like it because the class I like to play in those games (mage) makes the game inherently broken to the point that you can kill all the bosses with ease. Including the mini bosses like the dragons.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Halo 3 and LotR:Conquest, both only because they were two of the maybe five multiplayer games I own and my friend wanted to play them co-op. I wouldn't have finished either one otherwise. I despise FPS and only bought Halo 3 at my brother's insistence so we could play over Xbox Live. As for LotR, I was hoping it would be a quality translation of the Battlefront mechanics into the LotR universe. I was highly disappointed.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
Dragon Age. Bland characters, shitty combat, cliche'd story. I played through it, asymptotically towards the point where it got good, since everyone was raving about it.

Then I got to the final battle, which was the worst final battle I've ever played, such a long and boring slog. And then when I beat it I got treated to 30 Seconds To Mars, quite possibly the worst band in the universe.

I tend to do this with games I paid far too much cash for.
And because of that same reason, know what I did when I beat the game?

I went through Awakening, which was even worse.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I don't play games I can't at least find interesting in some sense.
If the story is decent, I'll stick around until the end, usually forgetting any experience besides the story.

But a game I played that I would never go back to?

Bully, just because of the ending. It's a bit of a silly reason, but I don't remember being as annoyed and upset at an ending ever before, well besides the lucasarts screw-up that was KotOR 2.

Captcha: soul ETURegu

That...that sounds like it could be a videogame. Are you trying to tell me something captcha?

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
Dungeons, I bought it assuming it would be like Dungeon Keeper. It REALLY wanted to be like Dungeon Keeper, but it failed miserably at it. The characters lacked characters and the bulk of the game felt more like a chore than anything else. I do give the developers some props for the last few levels which were well done, but other than that it was meh. You always had the same four classes of circles that always did the same thing, and none of your units had any real flavor to them.

Most other games I hated I never beat. I respected the storyline in Beyond Good and Evil, but couldn't get into the gameplay. I HATED the reboot of Prince of Persia and Command and Conquer 4 so I never finished these. That said I did think C&C 3 was very well done and rekindled the spirit of the original that was lost in C&C 2. Yeah, that's right I love mammoth tanks and orcas and remember how fun it was to take out obelisks of light using only mini gunners.