Games You Enjoy But Are Bad At

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
RTS games. Early game, I am usually fine, but when it is late game, I fail hard because I would much rather watch the battles than micro-build more units (which is kinda important when you play as Zerg). Oooooh, pretty. It is also pretty weird because I get really nervous whenever I try to play an online game in an RTS, I hardly ever do it. I don't think that I have played more than about 20 ranked matches in SC2, and I love that game. I think it might just be because I tend to associate Starcraft players to pro players (much like I do in fighting games), and that I have to rely on my units as opposed to how skilled I am as a player like I do in shooter games. It just makes me feel weird, that's all.

TheSlothOverlord

Mar 20, 2013
I guess Starcraft 2. I only ever managed to get to Gold (after A LOT of effort) and then I just sorta gave up. I tried to come back to it recently but for some reason the ladder matchmaking decided to totally troll me by instantly placing me in Platinum. I tried to redo my placement matches but it just me back in Platinum. I tried to quit games but it didnt seem to do anything. I tried to legitimately play which only resulted in me getting my ass handed to me after 15 minutes. I still want to come back to it but it's disheartening to have to relearn the build orders and strategies etc....

necromanzer52 said:
Gotta go with devil may cry 3. Great fun, but I'm so rubbish at this sort of game. Last time I played, I rage quit on this boss fight against these 2 knights. Some day I will return. Some day I will beat it. (maybe on easy mode).
Now I'd say that another game that I'm bad at and enjoy is DMC3, BUT as someone who just recently managed to complete it on Normal I can tell you that this boss fight is not that bad actually. The charging attack where they both jump at you can be easily dodged by jumping or rolling sidewards. After that what you need to do is position yourself next to one of them and wait for him to take a swing at you(make sure you have Cerberus equiped). As soon as he starts winding his attacks immediately use the Revolver move (lock on + analog stick in the direction of the enemy + attack). This should knock him back - keep Revolvering him until you knock his weapon out and he drops on his knees. Then you have some time to just whack him with impunity. But make sure to keep an eye on the other brother! And finally try your best to defeat both brothers at the same time! Once one of them is defeated the other will pick up the spare weapon and become a lot harder to deal with. So, once you get one of them very low health start working on the other.
What I found in DMC 3 is, I would often die a lot to the bosses initially, but after I figured out their attack patterns and how to counter them the fights became almost banal :).

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Dark Souls. Everybody says it's really hard, but a lot of people brag about having finished it. How many of you tried to pass the cemetery first, and after the 100th try realized that wasn't the correct path?
My brother. Our friends haven't let him live it down. He always heard the game was stupid hard, so he just quietly assumed it was normal.

I can't think of any game I like that I'm not decent at. Maybe I'm awesome in general, maybe I decide that any game I'm not immediately good at I don't like. Probably both.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Most fighting games. I didn't really have a specific example come to mind until just a yesterday... with Revolver 360 RE:ACTOR. Holy shit, is this game ever HARD. Extremely fun and exiting, but HARD >.<

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Dark Souls. Everybody says it's really hard, but a lot of people brag about having finished it. How many of you tried to pass the cemetery first, and after the 100th try realized that wasn't the correct path?
That was me the first time I played it on consoles, which lead to me returning the game the next day. It took till a year or more after the PC release for me to muster up the will to try again. Fun game~

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Battlefield 3 for sure. I'm not hugely into multiplayer shooters but a flatmate played this loads and made it look pretty good so I gave it a go. After 100+ hours playtime I would now describe myself as marginally above average when playing on PS3 but I tried it on PC for the first time recently and I'm basically back to square one. Last I checked my win:loss was something like 0.7 and my k:d was even lower but it's hard to deny that it's a very well made game and pretty fun to play along with mates even if I do have a fair few games that end in rage quitting.

Also Gran Turismo 4. I really enjoy bombing around the racetracks in an mx-5 but I am an exceptionally poor driver. The only way I can even beat the AI is by either having a noticably better car or by ramming off the track on the corners. Still a blast though.

LittleJoeRambler

Nov 3, 2011
T0ad 0f Truth said:
Elfgore said:
So I usually just cheat.
How do you turn this on? How do you turn this on? How do you turn this on? How do you turn this on?

...Waits for like all 7 of you to get what the hell I'm referencing xD

OT: I am god damn awful at the original mario now after playing some of the others. I never got "re" used to how floaty und less controllable it was. I've been playing through again on my 3DS and I've just been save scumming every level.
"Tuck tuck tuck" is even better, especially when you're running over trees in your haste to CRUSH EVERYTHING.

To the topic, I'd say RTS games, but I'm not really that bad at them, just sorta average at them. I guess I'd have to say something like Minecraft; not that I die a lot or find it difficult, I just have way more trouble designing and building projects than most of the other guys I play with. It takes me a lot longer, and a lot of my stuff doesn't look or work as good. I love the game though, scratches that itch to carve out a mountain and live like one of the Dwarven kings.

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
I wish I could play 4X/Grand Strategy games like Civ, Endless Space and Crusader Kings. I love the idea of building up an empire or kingdom(especially in the sci-fi ones) but I usually get lost in the UI or stomped later in the game by the AI.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
CaitSeith said:
That's entirely exactly what I did; and I still enjoyed it.

I love a game that makes me do that.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Dark Souls. It had been so long since I played a game involving careful, precise timing, I couldn't handle it. Still can't. I got sloppy playing games like Skyrim, where as long as you sort of drift vaguely to one side, you dodge handily. DS requires old-school platforming skills I haven't used.

Civilization series. I tend to play the same way every time, regardless of what may be effective.

I would say XCOM, but I think the game just gets unfair as you turn the difficulty up. Normal is almost a cakewalk, as soon as I switch to Classic I have regular team wipes. When your operatives hunker behind high cover and still get routinely one-shotted by Sectoids, that's not failure of player strategy, it's just arbitrary punishment.

RTS games. I could be better with practice, but I just don't care enough to train up my apm. It's not that I don't know what to do, it's that I don't do it fast enough.

MetalShadowChaos

Feb 3, 2014
I love me some Smite, but I'm afraid I'm only really good with Cabrakan and Ne-Zha,and Ne-Zha only on game-modes that aren't Arena.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much fighting games since I got brought up with Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. Maybe it due to the fact taht I sucked against my bro in verses match as I can somewhat win the game normally (story mode) but it will take a long time to get the hand of it.
I guess this will now apply to my recent purchase Skullgirls (I'm a sucka for games that the creators put "passion" into it.)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Most FPS multiplayer. Sure you can shoot circles around the A.I. like a badass, but then you're reminded that there are always people who are better than you. And all those people are in my lobby.

Tekken is a game I really have a good time with, even if I can't pull off the super long button combos, and people hand me my ass with a nice bow around it. But once again, A.I. can get schooled.

Oh yeah, and the left 4 dead series. I had a team of friends I would run with in the first one. One time someone asked them why I was there and one of my friends said "You know Red VS. Blue? He's our Caboose."
I laughed but, it hurt a little.

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
necromanzer52 said:
Gotta go with devil may cry 3. Great fun, but I'm so rubbish at this sort of game. Last time I played, I rage quit on this boss fight against these 2 knights. Some day I will return. Some day I will beat it. (maybe on easy mode).
When it comes to the old DMC games, I always get stuck at those awful platforming sections. It could be because I suck, but I don't think platforming belongs in games like that.

TOPIC: Retro platformers. I love 'em, but lack the precision those games demand.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
The Mortal Kombat series.
I love the look and design, I like the willfully campiness of it all.
But the the dial-a-combo system is not my friend and I don't really get the logic behind the annoyingly specific conditions behind which the series signature fatalities are pulled off.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
vledleR said:
When it comes to the old DMC games, I always get stuck at those awful platforming sections. It could be because I suck, but I don't think platforming belongs in games like that.

TOPIC: Retro platformers. I love 'em, but lack the precision those games demand.
This is sort of tangential, but the first time I played Devil May Cry, I was damn good at that game. Years later, I went back, and I suuuuuuuuuuuucked.

I didn't even know there WAS an easy mode in the first game, but I died enough that it was like "hey, you're pretty bad. Why don't you tone down the difficulty?"

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Any fighting game I've ever touched that isn't Smash, Fire Emblem Awakening, Resident Evil 4, and CastleVania games (as in all of them).

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Rhythm games just kill me. But I just can't stop trying.

vledleR

Nov 3, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
I didn't even know there WAS an easy mode in the first game, but I died enough that it was like "hey, you're pretty bad. Why don't you tone down the difficulty?"
I hate it when games do that.

Or even worse when games ask if you want to skip the level.

Sep 13, 2009
CaitSeith said:
Another one here. I gave up the game for a month after thinking "Okay, so it's hard because each enemy takes 5 minutes to kill. How is that supposed to be fun?"

FTL, Don't Starve and Team Fortress 2 come to mind. TF2 I regularly have a negative kill death ratio. I've only beaten FTL on easy once and only gotten several days into winter in Don't Starve before freezing to death. Still enjoy all of the games a lot