Games you enjoyed way more then you expected when you bought them.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Slay the Spire. I picked this up after watching a youtuber I follow play it once, as I thought it looked neat. I honestly have probably put more hours into that game than any other game in my library, by an order of magnitude.

It's a VERY easy game to play while doing other things. I can be watching a movie on netflix, or some let's play on YT, or listening to an audiobook/podcast, and just have it as the absent minded focus thing. It's always engaging to try new deck combinations to make it to the top of the tower. The fights are usually very quick either in victory or defeat, so you can start a new deck pretty fast. The learning curve to figure the game out is very low, so it's quick to pick up, and doesn't require a massive brain investment, while equally being very thoughtful in strategy.

I haven't played it in a few months at this point, but I bought a version of it for my phone, as well as PC, because I enjoyed it so much.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Doom 64, and Crysis 2 & 3. Doom 64 I have not touched since 1998. I rented a couple times and beat it with my older brother. That was all I could remember. After playing the recent HD port, it is one of my favorite Doom games and what I considered the best classic Doom game of all time. Crysis 2 I played once and beat it, but I didn't fully explore the games mechanics enough. After playing the remastered trilogy, I love it, and the third game. The third game especially, I never had so much fun with a stealth action FPS in a long time. Crysis 3 got too much hate from certain people in the PC crowd. I get it, but it's still a great game and what I consider the best in the series. The mechanics are so much fun and fixes some of the issues that was in the previous game. It has the best weapons, the best gameplay, the best graphics, and the best story that wraps everything up.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Evil West and Prodius I am having even more fun than I originally imagined.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Darksiders 3. I waited on it since I kept hearing middling things but once I played it I loved it. I kinda had reason to believe I might not since I haven't really liked any souls like game in thirdperson that wasn't called Dark Souls, but I really got into Darksiders 3, which I should have expected since I've really liked all the Darksiders games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Dragon Age 2 is the one that comes to mind for me. I played it first about a year after it came out, and had heard nothing but bad things about it, about how many ways it fell short of the original...and what I got was a game with refreshingly low stakes, and filled with characters I came to love, along with a reworking of the morality system that I actually dug a fair bit (yes, I enjoyed the friendship/rivalry system).

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Warframe ("bought" being kind of incorrect but still). The group was literally just kind of bored in a dull period around May for releases and we decided "Eh whatever its free", and expecting Destiny-lite (which we had all essentially removed ourselves from about a year before and completed rehab from the stockholm syndrome lol). So low expectations and expecting to mostly waste a few hours and probably encoutner some obnoxious pay barrier shortly in as is the general case with all F2Ps

Nowadays it is running up on #3 or #4 on my most played games ever list (chasing the original Neverwinter Nights and Heroes of Might and MAgic 3 lol. It might catch the latter) after 5 years and 2000~ish hours.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Borderlands 2. I didn't really like the first one all that much. And in a lot of key gameplay ways the second is worse. But so many of my friends like and play Borderlands 2, that it nearly tops my total played hours list... just because it wound up being a kind of social platform for us for a number of years. We've since switched to crafting/survival games for the most part. DayZ for a while, then back to Minecraft and now we are experimenting with Raft.

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
Doom 2016. It somehow reminded me of Quake 3's heyday even if I never touched the multiplayer portion. The speed, the accuracy required... lovely :)

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
The Ghostbusters video game (the one called Ghostbusters the video game) is an impressive little work of love. I wish it had been more open, I'd have loved randomized missions beyond the short-ish campaign. And Bill Murray sounded a bit bored to me. But I really didn't expect so much fun, with such a faithful atmosphere and such an elaborate gameplay (okay it's relative but I expected it to turn out strictly shooty shooty and they use the proton pack in a clever way). Plus, the easter eggs are genuinely amusing.

For what it's worth, it's also based around an unused Ghostbuster 3 script.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The Ghostbusters video game (the one called Ghostbusters the video game) is an impressive little work of love. I wish it had been more open, I'd have loved randomized missions beyond the short-ish campaign. And Bill Murray sounded a bit bored to me. But I really didn't expect so much fun, with such a faithful atmosphere and such an elaborate gameplay (okay it's relative but I expected it to turn out strictly shooty shooty and they use the proton pack in a clever way). Plus, the easter eggs are genuinely amusing.

For what it's worth, it's also based around an unused Ghostbuster 3 script.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Supplice.

I'm a sucker for old school style fps games, but when I got it I wasn't sure about it and even after the first level I wasn't (it has long levels) but then level 2 and then 3 and its become almost my favorite old school fps, just behind Hedon. But damn is it good, solid weapons, good enemies, satisfying enemy deaths, extremely good level design, amazing music and a much much better story then I expected.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I expected I'd enjoy Persona 5 when I got it. I figured, from what I heard, that it would be one of the better JRPGs I'd played.

By the time I finished it, I immediately started a New Game Plus, got Persona 5 Royal as soon as it went on sale, and it has since earned a place in my top 5 games that I've ever played.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I forgot that came out...
Now you remember.

Annalynn - I got on Steam for a cheap price last year, and did not expect to have this much fun with a single screen arcade platformer that's like a cross between Miner 2049er and Pac-Man. There are some cool and unique twists I do not want to spoil. It's got some cool bonus modes too to keep the player playing after beating the main mode. Play this game, if you like arcade throwback games such as this game.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Monster Hunter Tri (for the Wii). Frankly, I only wanted to buy a Wii Classic Controller Pro for a different game, and MH just happened to be bundled with it. I checked the reviews and they made it look a bit lackluster (the only interesting thing mentioned was the steep difficulty curve), so I played it not expecting much. I'll just say, it had been a while since I enjoyed a game enough to keep playing it for hours past bedtime in a daily basis like that.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Worgen

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Dead Island and Dead Island: Riptide. Had a load of dumb fun with my buddy who co-op'd both titles with me over the course of a weekend. We both got the full 1,000 GS in them.