Games you found unbearably long

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
It's been said, but Far Cry 2. Which is a shame, because there was a fantastic game in there somewhere and when it managed to escape from the dirty fingers of the Devs for a few seconds it shone spectacularly. Then an enemy would respawn because you took half a second too long blinking, or an SUV would try to ram your enoumours military truck (with a grenade launcher bolted to the roof) off the road, or everyone would try to kill you for no reason, or an invisible wall would spring up on the fucking open-world sandbox and stop you from reaching the perfect sniper spot you could see....

Or you'd run into the lack of a 'climb' button, or your car would get destroyed leaving you to hike hours to the objective, or every enemy ever would hear your silenced weapon through the jeep driving by, or you could select the huge M249 machine gun as a fourth weapon but not a little MP5, or you couldn't just pull out a gun and shoot the guy you're meant to assassinate because he's importent, or you couldn't look and see how many maleria pills you had left, or you couldn't cure your maleria, or you actually GET maleria (seriously, who gives the protagonist maleria?) or you get kicked in the nuts once more by the devs not releasing the damn SDK so that people could mod the game.

Shockingly, I could actually go on. But I won't.

41 Damn hours I put into that game, because I refused to let it beat me. And all I got for it was

the choice to blow myself up or shoot myself. What. The. Fuck?!?! Where's the third option where I say FUCK THESE PEOPLE, empty half a clip of 12 guage rounds into the fucking Jackal, and get out of that shit hole as fast as I can run?

So yeah. There's my rant.

MoNKeyYy

Evidence or GTFO
Jun 29, 2010
Lost Oddyssey. Remains to date as one of the only games I've never finished because it went nowhere. Also Tales of Symphonia. Although this might not be a case of "Game drags on too long" so much as it's a case of "I don't like JRPGs". Although in fairness I always start out liking them then find that they get boring and drag on...

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
The first Red Faction dragged along. It's length was especially grating since 90% of the game (no exaggeration) is spent running through the same red caves.

ClockworkAngel

Nov 9, 2008
Persona 3. As much as I loved that game, it had insane amounts of filler.

This example isn't mine, it happened to a friend:

He was close to what seemed like the end, at 80 hours. He wanted to finish Persona 3 because another game he really wanted to play was coming out soon. Turns out, his total play-time would come to be about 200 hours, and neither of us are the type of gamer who would ever 100% a game like Persona 3.

MAUSZX

May 7, 2009
Ross Perot said:
Red Dead Redemption spent far too much time in Mexico.

Who wants to be in Mexico in the first place?!
Look I'm a Mexican and I live in Mexico and let me tell you something... YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY right.... shame, but anyway yeah right now it kinda suck, u go out to the street and you don't know who´s worse, drug dealers or cops, but anyway there is no perfect country.

I didn't like RDR that much, I mean I spend hours doing random stuff and then I enter to Mexico and BLING FIRST TROPHIE??? WHAT?? does this means I just start this game?? and the answer is yes, so i said.... hell i live in Mexico why would I like to be there in a videogame.

KafkaOffTheBeach

Nov 17, 2010
I'm gonna go all out and say Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and Valkyria Chronicles.
I love them to death, but both of them should have known when to just shut the fuck up. Valkyria in particular.
I mean - I can deal with loading times and overly long cutscenes fine, but when the important points are padded to fucking oblivion it becomes a bit too much. I loved the side things in Valkyria, like the interviews with Rosie and Largo, the Newspaper Reports, the character bios etc. but the fact that I had to slog through so much pointless verbosity and exposition to get to one important moment, be it a battle or a revelation or a touching encounter with a soldier in the woods, it just annoyed me. It's not even the expositional nature of the cutscenes that made me think it was too long actually - it was the way the whole thing was presented between cutscenes and between battles. Returning to the book made me feel like I should have accomplished something, but because I had to go back so many times it felt like some sort of bus-stop in purgatory, taking me round and round, showing me things, albeit briefly, letting me take the wheel for a wee while, but taking me back to the same place with alarming speed and efficiency.
Castlevania just decided to fuck pacing in the ass sporadically - leaving me pretty much emotionally drained by half-way, wishing it would just get a fucking move on. Like making the first couple of sections/acts/waypoints/whatever really long and boring before, suddenly, ICE GIANTS, FUCKING....DEATH THINGS, KILLING HOLY KNIGHTS, OH MY GOOOOOOOOD! Nah, we were fucking with you. Back to some overly long, arbitrarily challenging levels. OH SHIT LITTLE ******, WE SHRUNK THE FUCK OUT OF YOU!
What a strange paragraph.

Also, special mention should go to Darksiders for having the only level in the history of levels that made me put down my controller in disgust. That shit basically doubled my total play time.

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
The main campaign for Neverwinter Nights 2. Maybe a weird choice but it seriously started wearing out its welcome by the third "chapter". By the time I put the sword back together I just didn't care anymore.

Anthony Abney

Mar 16, 2011
Star Ocean: The Last Hope

3 full disks and it took me months to get through the first one (though in hindsight, it probably would have gone by faster if I didn't have an insatiable need to make sure that I had the ABSOLUTE BEST equipment and lvled up as far as I could without having to grind for hours on end before taking on a boss)

which reminds me, I really should try to finish it some time, i mean it's been about a year since I started playing it, I HAVE to be close by now

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
FF13 - 20 hour tutorials are not the way to go
GTA4 - someone forgot this game is about fun
MMORPG's - all the mechanics clearly designed to waste your time before you get to something worth while

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Red Dead Redemption. It just wasn't very immersive. Having to ride your horse everywhere was very annoying. Weird though, since I just finished L.A Noire, and it didn't seem to long.

In Red Dead Redemption, a lot of things were good, but I didn't like having to ride a very slow and awkwardly controlled horse for 10 minutes to get to the good bits. It became so tedious that I never finished the game.

As for L.A Noire however, you can drive for 10 minutes if you want, but it actually wasn't as annoying as riding that fucking slow horse for hours. At least you don't have to stop to let your car rest every mile.

Plus, you can allow you're partner drive you there, so you have the option to go immediately, or drive there yourself.

Oh wait, i'm digressing. Short Version: Red Dead Redemption seemed to unbearably long, because it was long, and boring. If a game was always fun, then I wouldn't think being long would be a problem. Quite the opposite, as long as it were to always remain equally fun.

Sir Boss

Mar 24, 2011
I am yet to find a game too long for me, I like the length of the Dragon Age games, however i have played games that were unbearably drawn out, like Halo 2.

Droa

Aug 1, 2009
Black and White 1 more not for how long the game was but how fricking long it took for you damn creature to grow big!! every trailer an such showed you first your small little creature and then a massive mountain of a beast, what did it take to actually get that size? over 30 fecking hours for the vast majority!! still a good game tho, annoyingly i felt Black and White 2 was far too short though, wanted more so wouldn't mind a third game.

Just cos I've finished it, Epic Mickey took a bit longer in many bits than where needed and if I ever manage to finish them the Persona games, still desperate to complete 3 an 4, circumstances just stop me and it makes me cry.

Fledge

Jan 28, 2010
I don't think I've ever had this problem with a game - not even a FF game.

Maybe BFBC2, as it takes you TOO LONG to get to rank 50, but that's the multiplayer part so I don't think it counts. The Single player was nicely polished in a short yet comfortable play time.

Oh wait - there was one.

Jak X.

But that game was boring almost from the start.

Droppa Deuce

Dec 23, 2010
Demon's Souls - started it about 10 months ago, and only go back to it every now and then. But its just so long and brutal.

Still love it though, so it's not quite unbearable.

I played Fallout: New Vegas for 3 hours and traded it in, terrible graphics and so boring.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
MExico in RDR i throughout that bit was extremely long i would much rather time in West Elizabeth my fave area

oh and easily Dark chronicles

if you played it you would know what i mean

Samy dungeons and enemies

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Crysis 1 and 2.

I finished the first after battling on like a soldier...man it was boring...but I havent finished crysis 2 and I probably wont either. They may look good but thats honestly all they have going for them...BOOOOOORING!

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Persona 3: The Answer.

Played it off the back of the main game (which I loved) and found it was just a grindfest with all the best parts of Persona 3 taken out. There was one intriguing thing about it, but I couldnt put more than 10 hours into it.

Fuck you, The Answer, bringing shame to a perfectly good game.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
Final Fantasy XII and Fallout New Vegas.

I'm a fan of both series of games, but my gawd... XII was just so boring (not that I cared much for the combat system. I wanted to complete it for storyline sake... but I just couldn't bring myself to carry on after so long). As for New Vegas, it's not so much length of play as I'm quite happy to play it, it's the total lack of direction when you get to the final stages of the storyline.
In F3, it was a case of either "Join the Enclave", "Agree to help the Enclave but kill off the president" or "Do the right thing". If NV you have 4 whole factions to choose from. If you're like me and like to complete all the quests in a game like Fallout, then it just becomes too much.
I know people were complaining that there wasn't enough to do in F3 but in New Vegas, between the ability to craft bullets and items with overly-unnecessary amounts of stuff and the having to either balance all 4 factions or end up with 3/4 of the game world trying to kill you, there was too much to deal with. I know many might disagree but I personally couldn't keep up with it all and that kind of ruined it for me.