Games you hate that everybody else likes

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
The Half-Life series in general. Dont see whats so amazing about it.

Also, the first Crysis. I havent played it for the most obvious reason (PC not powerful enough), but from what I watched from youtube videos, its just a basic shooter that looks pretty. I keep hearing that its open-ness in how you want to tackle an objective is unmatched, but I havent been able to find any examples of that.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
CaptainMarvelous said:
All of the CoD. I'm pretty lukewarm to most shooters but the dire lack of changes, the fact it's a mildly modified texture/skins pack for each new release and perhaps most importantly has LEGIONS of people proclaiming how each game is innovative while knocking Zelda for having the vague connections of a princess and Link just... yeah.

The Last Nomad said:
While I don't hate it, I never found any reason to play Batman Arkham City after my first play of it.

It wasn't nearly as engaging as EVERYONE says it is. Granted I only played until the game enters open world territory. But I found the open world to be terrible and the combat was awful, even though it was exactly as I had expected from what I had heard. I thought I would love it, but I just didn't...
I... have a difficult time reconciling the view Arkham City's open world and combat was terrible o.o. It's weird, I can't even imagine this being an opinion. Clearly it is one but still mind=blown
I didn't imagine I would have that opinion either, but after about an hours worth of play I stopped and have never played it since.

EDIT: I didn't really get a chance to explore the world too much, but the little bit I did was just bland and confusing and didn't feel at all alive in any way.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Diablo 3- Played it from start to finish, and I just can't will myself to go through it again (which is the point of a dungeon runner.) I liked the gameplay, don't get me wrong. The visuals and story were just too big of a disapointment for me to want to play again. The immersive music was gone. It felt less like a dungeon runner, and more like an arcade style approach to it. This is the undead level. This is the cult level. This is the manor level. This is the desert level. This is the sewer level. See where I'm going with this? No consistent tone.

Call of Duty- I just don't get it. It has the whole leveling and perk system but it feels horribly unbalanced in every game. The campaigns are always the same story as well. Not getting it. If I wanted to play a great multiplayer shooter experience, I'd go play Team Fortress 2, not this.

God of War- I understand that this series really kind set the standard for many other games, but I just don't see the appeal in it. I played through Chains of Olympus and enjoyed it, but I still don't like the game itself. It just feels like a hack n slash. I honestly had more with Lord of Rings: Conquest.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Vault101 said:
Matthew94 said:
I don't hate Skyrim but I found it awfully boring. I couldn't stand more than a few hours. It wasn't very fun and it didn't even have the cheese that oblivion had and it was even more "streamlined".

Judging from the circlejerk that took place after launch, I'm in the very small minority.

EDIT Your username.

why...?
ninja me will you....

you know what my problem with the few bethedesa games Ive played it?...its like they just don't [i/]get[/i] it

like they think its enough to just stick you in a big world and say "here you go, your playing an RPG now" and for some it is, but for me it really isnt

to try and explain...I recently dusted off Fallout 3 and while I like that game and think its a million times better than oblivion (*hurk!*) I noticed some of those old bethedesa things creeping in

like the minute I step out of the vault and enter megaton...everyones more than willing to get me to do jobs/run their errands when it makes no logical sense other than "well...your the PC arnt you? and this is an RPG?" for crying out loud I'm fresh out of a vault and already discussing disarming megatons bomb....I mean its like they have the basic parts for an RPG but don't bother fitting them together

compared to Fallout NV on the otherhand...everything makes sense and gels together, the side quests are all conected to the grand scheme of things (not to mention the charachters are better) THAT is a shining example on how to make an RPG... and it makes sense for my charachter to do all thease things
You should try Morrowind. The quest lines make a lot of sense, they're given to you because of who you know, not because of who the character is controlled by. Guild membership, that sort of thing. Daggerfall had a lot of people offering random quests, but they really were random oddjobs, and you got the feeling that the world was crawling with adventurers who were willing to do things like kill tigers that had gotten into people's apartments or go into some old ruins to retrieve a specific item for money.
Problem is Morrowind has the worst combat mechanics in known history.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I don't think Bioshock is anything like as mindblowing and intelligent as people think it is. Hammering on about Ayn Rand does not make it clever. And yeah, the "would you kindly thing" was kind of neat, but honestly, who didn't see something like that coming a mile off?

Gameplay-wise, it just got dull once the creepiness wore off (which was admittedly very well done for the first hour or so). It actually felt like a chore towards the end.

Oh, and here's the kicker for the fans: I much preferred Bioshock 2. Sorry!

And just to jump on the bandwagon, the writing in Braid is so bad I wanted to gouge my eyes out rather than read another sentence. Honestly, it's the sort of overblown crap I used to write as an angsty 14 year old, when I thought I was "deep" and "sophisticated" and "complicated." Talk about purple prose...

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Eamar said:
I don't think Bioshock is anything like as mindblowing and intelligent as people think it is. Hammering on about Ayn Rand does not make it clever. And yeah, the "would you kindly thing" was kind of neat, but honestly, who didn't see something like that coming a mile off?

Gameplay-wise, it just got dull once the creepiness wore off (which was admittedly very well done for the first hour or so). It actually felt like a chore towards the end.

You know, funny thing, after having to read a book of Ayn Rand's for this one college course, and having played the game, I realised something. The game was set in a world that fallowed Ayn Rands philosophy, and look what happened to it.

Maybe its just me, but it seemed like Bioshock was basically saying the Rand's ideas werent all they were cracked up to be.

Also, with the "Would You Kindly", if you dont pay attention, it could come as a interesting twist, but if you do pay attention, you can actually start to see the truth to it.

In all though, I though Bioshock was pretty good, up until the Training grounds and the boss fight, than it went down faster than the Titanic...

Seef

Feb 20, 2010
Borderlands. It was just bland and repetitive to me. Grinding works when you have numerous different ways to kill people. Not when all you can do is shoot.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Maybe Dark Souls...

It's just terribly frustrating with an extremely broken and surprise gangbang heavy PVP system.

The story is so out of the way you'd need to read the Wiki to even half understand any details (a failure on the game's part if i've ever seen one) and fuck whoever keeps going on about every death being "fair" bullshit. Mimic in Sen's Fortress, Snipers in Anor Londo, Frame rate issues in Blighttown and much much more!

Plus they make the difficulty hard in some terribly predictable ways, see a doorway ahead of you? There's an 85% chance that enemies are waiting just to the side of the door to punish those who just rush right in. That's just lazy.

It's still sort of fun when the PVP actually works though. I just love lvl 1-5 PVP with those few PVP items you get at the start and I don't mind being invaded that much. Until the Twinks show up anyway. You see a guy with the endgame gear in your lvl 3 world you are officially allowed to quit to dashboard with zero ethical issues after waving at him for teh lulz.

Also Skyrim, for obvious reasons. Funny how i'd have loved that game if Fallout:NV hadn't had shown me what a truly great open world WRPG is like beforehand. There is literally no RPG in Skyrim, you have zero dialogue choices at all. Why even bother pretending to have one if it's only the continue quest button 99% of the time?

Yes I know some people count building your own character with an imaginary backstory and roleplaying said character as RPGish enough. I'm not one of those people though and NV had endless roleplay potential within both the open worldy stuff and the plot/side quests itself

BlueKenja

Jul 4, 2011
Final Fantasy X - Hateful characters except Auron and Seymour. Story was meh.
KOTOR 1 - gameplay was dull as was the story. KOTOR 2 - hated the gameplay still but the story was excellent and Kreia is one of my favourite characters ever.
Dragon Age - Slogged through the godawful combat to see how things ended, I was underwhelmed but at least my decisions had some minor effect on things.
Mass Effect - Same old Bioware tropes and cliches, same old characters, cover based shooter gameplay...meh.

On a different note, a series I've had an on/off relationship with was Kingdom Hearts.
I played the first one when it first came out so I was younger and less worried by the whole Disney character thing then left the series behind after I beat it.
Last year my then boyfriend got me back into it, bought KH2 off ebay for about £5, bought 358/2 days and Birth By Sleep, beat BBS, almost finished 358/2 days...still slogging through KH2. When he ended things (in a pretty nasty and callous way)I just couldn't bring myself to pick up the series again, inextricably linked to him in my mind...especially can't go near 358/2 days cause he was big into Roxas and I was an Axel fan.
Oh well... : (

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Games that follow one of the latest, and in my opinion, most obnoxious "trends" - the creator congratulating themselves on their work. Sonic Generations and Skyward Sword. In both I just feel like it's the developers patting themselves on the back going "Yeah. I'm awesome", and I've just payed money to see them do it. It's just uncomfortable and irritating to me.

Mount & Blade. Whilst not neccesarily everyone loves it, and I don't HATE it as such, I just feel bored when playing it. Whatever I do every single battle feels the same and pretty much inconsequential. The fact that it tries to be an RPG and doesn't really have a story per say just rubs me the wrong way. It's not the game's fault, it just doesn't work for me.

Finally, and this is going to cause quite a bit of fanrage, Left 4 Dead (Didn't play L4D2). I don't like zombie shooters, and VALVE (Whom I freakin' love) somehow managed to multiply my dislike by 10 with these ones. When someone asks why I like VALVE so much, I'll answer one of two things: "Team Fortress II" or "They make game games". Every single VALVE game feels like a pure game to me. It's a hard thing to describe, but I imagine most people who frequent a site like this will understand. L4D just doesn't feel like a game game to me. It's what you get when you remove the VALVE charm from a VALVE game: Nothing.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
I think Heavy Rain is irredeemable, pretentious, terribly written garbage. Aside from the pinkie-cutting scene, there is seriously nothing good about it.

Haplicity

Jul 4, 2011
999. After hearing that the team was led by Kotaro Uchikoshi, I was expecting quite a lot from it. Unfortunately, I felt that the routes didn't really connect with each other at all, which was one of the greatest points for me while playing Ever17.

The characters were fine and the puzzles were challenging, but the ending was probably the biggest letdown for me. It felt too inconceivable and too disconnected from the rest of the story. It seems like he was trying to use a similar formula Ever17 had, but without some of the key pieces that really made it work.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Patrick Buck said:
w9496 said:
Oblivion. I had fun until I got out of the sewer, and then everything was buggy and horrible. I droned on through the first Oblivion gate, and quit right after it. I haven't played a more bug-ridden game in my life.

Slightly off topic: I foresee a lot of Gears of War answers, which irks me a little. People are always wanting unique shooters, and last I checked, Gears is more unique than most.
Yeah, but unique doesn't mean good.
Also, there have been at least 3 games. So it's not actually that unique.
It was unique when it was first created. And something can be unique as long as it stays within a franchise. The plasma cutter is a unique part of Dead space, but its uniqueness isn't hindered by the fact that there is more than one title to the franchise.

And you'rre right, unique doesn't mean good, but good is subjective and can neither be proven or disproven.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
WanderingFool said:
Eamar said:

You know, funny thing, after having to read a book of Ayn Rand's for this one college course, and having played the game, I realised something. The game was set in a world that fallowed Ayn Rands philosophy, and look what happened to it.

Maybe its just me, but it seemed like Bioshock was basically saying the Rand's ideas werent all they were cracked up to be.
Ummm... well done? That's pretty obvious :/

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
CoD 4. Not CoD in general, because CoD 4 is the only one I've played, so I don't just hate it because it's the cool thing to do. Least fun I've ever had in a shooter. I was so bored by the time I got 2/3 of the way through that I refuse to finish it. Awful game. Can't believe I spent $15 on it.

Mario Kart. I despise Mario Kart in every incarnation I've ever been talked into playing. Never enjoyed one second of Mario Kart.

Smash Brothers: see above.

Guitar Hero. Beyond the occasional ten minutes of fun with your friends, these games are the most depressing thing I've ever done with a game console.

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
arrowtotheknee said:
I didn't find gen 4 to be very good, and quit around the time of the fourth gym battle.
You're not alone on that one. I don't think anybody liked 4th gen much. XD

Anyway, a series that everybody seems to love to death, yet I manage to hate is... Halo.