Games you have brought or downloaded that you fully regret.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
Probably War Of The Roses, played that for all of 11 minutes.

Tons of stuff that came in bundles on steam that I didn't really like, but when a game comes down to costing 3 cents orso, I couldn't really care less.

Oh, Darksiders II was kinda shit, don't know why I even bought that when I fucking hated the first one. My cousin liked it though, we spend some evenings taking turns playing it while getting drunk, so WOTR still tops the list for me.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Grand Theft Auto IV.

Bought it on launch day, thought it would be similar to previous installments in the franchise. Got turned off by the wonky driving controls, aggravating physics (would it kill Niko to buckle up so he doesn't go smashing through windshields all the time?), lack of regular taxi missions, and Roman annoying me all the time to see BEEG AMERICAN TEE-TEES. Ended up selling the game within a week. I have never blindly purchased a game on launch day ever since.

Fortunately, Saint's Row 2 arrived to give me my proper crazy open world crime game.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I'd say X-Blades because it is easily the worst game I've ever played, but for that reason I appreciate what it showed me. Because now I realise how good the games I have are, even ones I didn't really like.
Thank you, X-Blades.

Anyway, I regret getting Devil May Cry 4. I'd always heard the DMC games were good, and since 4 was on sale I gave it a go. I played for about 3 hours, but only enjoyed about 1 of those. The controls just don't seem to work right, what with having to hold a direction relative to which way the camera's facing Nero and it being really damn fiddly. Plus other complaints that I can't condense to keep this post a reasonable length, but the controls was the biggest put off.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Although my standards for a "Great game" is pretty high, my standard for "Par" is pretty low. As long as a game can keep me enthralled for longer than a couple of hours of straight playing, it is "decent." With that out of the way, here's my list in order of profile...

Bullet Witch (PS2): I <3 Gun Mages, but man is this game so bland. Such a shame for a good concept. (Spent a couple of days, on and off, but didn't finish.) Dirge of Cerberus wasn't "great" but it was at least "par."

Yoshi's Safari (SNES): I <3 Super Scope, but this game was WAY TOO EASY and too short with no replay value. (Finished)

Castlevania, Curse of Darkness (PS2): I was digging the gothic pokemon concept, but the levels were so bland and padded. (Watched my dedicated brother burn 2 full days on it, and listened to him complain the whole time.)

Resident Evil 6 (XBOX 360): Despite everyone telling me how awesome this game is supposed to be, I refused to finish the 1st level. Is it a stealth game, a survival horror, or Call of Duty Zombies? It tries to be all 3, but fails miserably. The controls were particularly frustrating. I called BS when I carefully approached upper-torso-only zombie crawling on the ground to curb stomp him out of his misery, clearly saw the QTE icon, but instead some end up on the ground with the thing on top of me, struggle free, and saw another QTE icon for jumping out of the way of an oncoming subway, pressed the buttons at least 3 times but watch helplessly as Leon gets flattened. And I played the crap of RE4 and 5. And don't get me started on the silly storyline that takes itself so seriously.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Day of defeat by Valve.

I learned to look at the store page way more thoroughly because I had no idea that was only a multiplayer game.

Phantom Kat

Sep 26, 2012
GTA:4 for PC mostly because the port was abysmal.
I regret paying full price for Dragon Age: Origins as the game play was terrible and the story was boring. The only good thing about the game was the characters. I actually prefer DA:2 to DA:O.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
God, everywhere I go, everybody hates Dishonored.

Game of the decade for me, that one :(

Anyway, OT

Painkiller.

'kay, so I don't *really* like 'old-school' shooters all that much. Sure, I bought and enjoyed the HD Serious Sams, had a blast with DK3D, Blood and - naturally - Half Life 2; but I'm not like most 'gamers' in that I believe that style to be inherently superior to, say, Bioshock, Far Cry, STALKER, Metro, Battlefield etc

Still, I'd heard good things (Yahtzee, naturally), so I tried it out in a GOG.com sale.

Umm...not really up to much, is it? It just couldn't captivate me in any way. Weapons may have been creative in visual design but didn't really feel that way, I could hardly tell when I was getting injured, there's essentially no AI, levels are mostly empty, I couldn't enjoy the music even ironically, and also (petty complaint incoming) the quick saves didn't overwrite each other.

I suppose 'fully regret' is something of a hyperbolic remit in this case, I don't really *fully regret* it because I enjoyed it for a bit and bought it for the price of a couple of beers; just I don't really plan to go back to it every again.

Would have fully regretted Torchlight, but then I got it for free as part of a sale promo, so I can hardly complain :D

And ACIII I suppose. Bought on release day. What needs to be said has already been said. I'm not bitter, but it's still a bit *humph*.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Grand Theft Auto IV.

Got turned off by the wonky driving controls, aggravating physics (would it kill Niko to buckle up so he doesn't go smashing through windshields all the time?)
This. When i steal a Hummer, immediately bump into a fire hydrant doing no more than 20 MPH, and then go crashing out the windshield flailing around in somebody's suburban yard with the police all over me... DONE.

Its like the game was telling me right there: Winners don't steal cars, kids.

Halfie2

Jan 28, 2013
Max Payne 3: the game: the movie: the game...

ninjad

As C. Shinji said, some unskippable cutscenes, cutscenes changing weapons and leaving you in the open.

My personal favourite reason though, not being a Max Payne game (Setting, Cutscenes, Cover system, EVERYTHING)

Only thing I liked about the game were the parts where you got to play in NY, but then
it went back to Payne being a gringo and people calling him a puta.

I know some people liked the game and I can understand why, but as a fan of Max Payne 1&2(especially 1) it just pisses me off.

edit: this experience also cost me a good 15?

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Fortunately I don't have any games I'd put on here that I can think of off the top of my head. It's not that I think all my purchases through, it's that practically everything I buy is cheap, is something I don't mind sucking, and there's the fact that I usually come into games with low-expectations because I'm usually rarely ecstatic over games anyway so I don't take it seriously. For example, a lot of people said ME trilogy went downhill, but since I got the three for 20$ and played them one after the other, I didn't really have time to lament any downturns in level design the games take, being able to enjoy the good parts.

Oh and I had no qualms about mentally copy-pasting my own ending over what really happened. Shut up, the Crucible was just a gun. *Hands on the ears and make the "lala" sound*

Nokturos

Nov 17, 2009
Journey: I bought into the hype and wound up wasting an hour on this pretentious crap.

Hitman Absolution: An incredible disappointment that I played for less than an hour before uninstalling it.

Borderlands: Dull, trudging gameplay mixed with dreadful writing and lousy jokes.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Clunky controls, awful stealth, and a color scheme that gave me a headache.

mlow44

Sep 17, 2010
most recently, Defiance.

not only did I preorder it, but I bought the digital deluxe edition and also the season pass (MSRP $100 and $30 respectively). I really thought it was going to be something I'd spend months on, if not longer. I got two weeks out of it, in spite of its numerous issues like disappearing items, achievements and bugged-to-hell quests, before I had played all of the content available.

waited ages for new content, only for the devs to focus on putting more useless crap in the item store rather than fixing any of the game's problems or adding any content of value. now the digital deluxe can be bought for $15, the season pass has yet to provide any content whatsoever, the community has all but given up and quit, and the devs are just trying to grab whatever little bits of cash they can possibly hold onto.

if you can't tell, I'm pretty butthurt over this game's flop. it had some really cool mechanics and concepts, and probably would have done well with better management. now I just wish I could have my $130 back.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
None of them.
I however do regret buying them, and then later finding them at considerably lower prices somewhere else.
Blah.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Anno 2070
I didn't pay for it myself, but a friend got it for me after asking me what game I'd like to have. I picked this game because it looked interesting and I was looking forward to playing with my friends. However, the game is broken. If you play in single player, you're subject to game breaking freezes. The multiplayer experience is much worse. For starters, you're lucky if you can even get into a game with another person. If you do get into a multiplayer game, you have about 5 minutes before the game crashes. I've checked the forums and I've found people who have no issues as well as many people who have the same problem I do. At times, I couldn't get into the game at all without it crashing. To this day, I still don't know what's wrong with it and I regret choosing it.

Sonic '06
I got it as part of a special package when I bought my XBox360. I've heard some reviews about it, but chose to ignore them. In the past, I've seen people bash Sonic games just because they're Sonic games and I've found them enjoyable, so I thought this wouldn't be any different. Oooooh boy was I in for a nasty surprise. Horrible game mechanics and a cringe worthy story was enough for me to give up on the game entirely before getting close to the end of it. I think I finished the Sonic story and started on Silver's and Shadow's before setting the game down for good. I later watched LPs of it to see the game through to completion, and I'm GLAD I stopped playing it. I did contemplate returning it, but I figured I couldn't since it was part of the package and there was nothing else I could've replaced it with, anyway. Still, I figure I'd keep it as a reminder that franchises that I love can still make horrible HORRIBLE mistakes.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Stalker - I have tried so many times to like this game. Every time I install it, I play for several hours and then uninstall it the same day

Chivalry - Heard so much about what a great game it is, but it isn't my kind of game. I find online deathmatch type games boring

Mass Effect 1 - I guess I can't really say I regret it, since I need it to understand the rest of the series, but for me, Mass Effect 1 has always been that game that I tolerated in order to get to the vastly superior sequels

KOTOR - Just plain hated it. Found the gameplay and story boring and the characters annoying

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
00slash00 said:
Mass Effect 1 - I guess I can't really say I regret it, since I need it to understand the rest of the series, but for me, Mass Effect 1 has always been that game that I tolerated in order to get to the vastly superior sequels
Don't worry I am on your side with that one. I have played ME2 and 3 and only doing ME1 for the story but at risk of torturing myself with terrible game play and and interface. Story and character development is great which is why I am sticking with it.

Aariana

Apr 10, 2010
Tower Wars. I got it from an indie bundle just the other day. I thought it would be a fun game to play with the bf. I'm really glad that I only paid a few bucks for the entire pack, as it is a HUGE waste of HDD space. There appears to be only one co-op map. There is no campaign, and the main game appears to consist of only 3 maps, all of which are just endless tower defense maps. Granted, I did not try the ranked matches, but I honestly can't see it being much better.

Oh, and the worst part? When we tried to play co-op, my game loaded, and then after mine was fully loaded, only then did his game start to load into the lobby. So they basically doubled the load time just cause of poor coding.

Bluelaughter

Dec 7, 2010
GTA IV. It's like they forgot games were supposed to be fun. Cars were arse to drive. The dating sim seemed tedious and tried too hard to work it into the game world. Anytime you tried to do something fun, they stopped you from doing it.

Tried several times to restart it and get into it, but it was never fun enough to continue.