Games you have brought or downloaded that you fully regret.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
Brink. I followed this game through development and it looked like it was going to be really promising with its customisation and the different class mobility etc setting it apart from the other FPS games. Got it and it was just awful.
The AI was absolute shit, in an objective based game they didn't do anything they just disregarded them and walked directly into gunfire.
The online wasn't much better, if you actually managed to get into a game you were usually on a team that was massively unbalanced and so laggy you couldnt play.
Oh and it never gave me 200 Gamerscore despite meeting the criteria several times.
I regret buying it but I regret buying the special edition even more.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Those games that I bought and played for a while (but I truly disliked) are:
- Dragon Age Origins
- GTA 4
- Final Fantasy 12

Then there are the games that I buy but never leave my backlog. Currently I have in there:
- Dead Space
- RUSE
- Dishonored
- Catherine
- Blazblue
- 90% of my steam list

I am not passing judgement on those games, they might be pretty good, but I only played the tutorial and got distracted by something else.

Then I remember buying a very expensive NES cartridge that promised like 1000 games, but they were only a handful with some variables changed among repeated instances. I am not very proud of that one, but I was very young and gullible.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Games I regret buying all together:

Section 8: Prejudice - I just couldn't get into it. I couldn't get into any online games since it's pretty barren and the singleplayer is pretty throwaway. It's a shame, because it would have some pretty cool things going if anyone played it.

Space Pirates and Zombies - A game that I played for a bit, but couldn't find myself liking as much as I thought I would.

Games I should have bought cheaper:

Metro 2033 - I was considering getting the THQ Humble Bundle before they went bust, but figured, for some reason, that I wouldn't play half the games it came with, so I didn't get it. Instead, I bought it separately on Steam for £15, which is a pretty good price considering how much I like Metro. Then about a week later, my friend introduced me to Dawn of War, whose sequel and expansions were in the Bundle. Fuck.

Half Life 2 - Opposite problem to Metro. Instead of buying just Half Life, Half Life 2 and Episodes 1 and 2, I bought the whole fucking bundle. Damn I'm good at purchase decisions!

Wakey87

Sep 20, 2011
Baldur's gate
Amnesia the dark descent
BlazBlue
Oblivion

Dispite all those games being popular and having good rating they just didn't appeal to me.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Last game I bought based on liking its predecessor: Dawn of War 2. Never again.

Before that... I regret buying a hardcopy of Bioshock, because I have yet to encounter a computer that it doesn't crash due to sound driver issues... also, never found a patch that addresses the crash. So I bought it again on Steam during a sale. That copy works fine even on my linux laptop running everything through Wine. Sigh. Resistance is futile and all that.

secretkeeper12

Jun 14, 2012
Spec Ops The Line. Not because of the game itself, but because I couldn't get the crouching to work and was stuck in the first sequence for god knows how long. Now I'm too occupied with other games to go back to it.

hermes200 said:
Then I remember buying a very expensive NES cartridge that promised like 1000 games, but they were only a handful with some variables changed among repeated instances. I am not very proud of that one, but I was very young and gullible.
Was that Action 52? If so, I have something that might make you feel better :D [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxOF4NevJrg]

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Mine is probably Alice: Madness Returns. The trailers looked incredible, but when I got the game most of the elements advertized had been cut out due to release rush thanks to EA. It wasn't altogether bad (and I got the first game for free, which is a wonderful horror title, even if I've only played it once and never touched it again), but towards the end of the game it become clearer just how much content was removed.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Mirror's Edge.

Without a doubt, this is not only the worst game I've ever bought, but the worst game I've ever played. Everything about it is just terrible. I am honestly baffled as to how that game has a fanbase, because I can't see anything remotely decent in any aspect of the game.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I can only think of one. I've got loads of games, but I've never really bought something I then didn't like, oddly. Some have taken more adjustment than others, but I've come to like them all. Except one.

Namely Warhammer Online (grr).

Not that I was too surprised. I knew it was just another attempt at challenging World of Warcraft off the throne. But it did look interesting, and I've always rather liked Warhammer, much more than its ridiculous emo sibling 40.000, at least.

What I got was the boilerplate mumopuger experience, and you could just feel how it had been carefully boiled down and tweaked to be as WoW-y as allowable. The emphasis on Player vs. Player action was interesting, but... Yeah, everyone went Chaos, and the few who joined me and my grumpy witch hunter were whiny rushers. Everyone ran off, died, and whined about it in the chat. It was like fighting alongside a platoon of sweary chickens, in short.

I could've lived with that. The Warhammer world didn't look its best through the mumopuger filter, but it could've worked. Except for one thing. When I get my fantasy mumopuger hat on, it's for the roleplaying. What is the use of building a lovely fantasy world if you aren't meant to play pretend in it, eh?
But that hope died out rather quickly. I soon understood I was the only one interested in roleplaying on the whole server, which was billed as an RP-server. Even if I hadn't been the lone, sad deviant, there simply wasn't enough atmosphere.

Most mumopugers have an option to toggle to walk instead of run, and an option to put your weapon away. Maybe even sit down by a warm campfire. But Warhammer Online did not. You could only run and scowl, weapons in hand. Even inside a cozy, well-designed tavern, it was impossible to get into the feeling because all you could do was jog about with your sword out like an idiot.

I spent about two weeks there, doing half-hearted questing and getting ganked and owned by the Chaos players. I saw not one single roleplayer. I did try to kick some RP going, but no one seemed interested. I think I frightened quite a few players off, even.
It was a very unsatisfying experience... I still haven't found a non-WoW mumopuger with tolerable roleplaying.

I'm rather glad I'm not disappointed very often, now.

(EDIT: Emphasis on "tolerable". WoW is not very kind to standards, either.)

PPB

May 25, 2009
I'm usually really careful with my purchases and most of my disappointments come from Steam sales when I'm tempted by the low prices on games that I'm curious about, but never really cared enough about to purchase them at launch. At 5$ and under though, it's basically the PC equivalent of a rental so I'm not too peeved.

2 games before Steam sales that I regret buying:
- Fellowship of the Ring, from an obscure developper. It could be called a terrible movie tie-in if not for the fact that it's actually based on the book. So I guess it's a terrible book tie-in.
- Battle for Middle-earth 2. Doesn't seem like a bad game but it didn't hold my interest for more than an hour or two.

Steam sales:
- (Cameron's) Avatar game. Still don't understand how I ended up buying this.
- Avencast. See above.
- Eidos pack from the first winter sale. I only really wanted Arkham Asylum from it, now I'm stuck with dozens of games I don't care about and never even installed on my Steam account. I would honestly pay to remove that pack from my account.
- Tomb Raider pack from a while back.
- Darksiders pack
- Torchlight 2, so underwhelming.
- Fallout New Vegas. Looks like a fine one, but I was quickly reminded that I don't like the Fallout setting at all.

Jul 10, 2013
I have two. One that works, one that doesn't.

FEZ is the one that doesn't work, and I got no warning about it. I use a crap graphics card, but I saw no real warning that it wouldn't work. There doesn't seem to be a fix in sight either, and I mention that because I bought Reus and it had the same problem, but there is a fix coming.
Then there was that whole crap about Phil Fish having a meltdown and being a general arse, and I wish I never bought his game.

As for the game I got that DID work, that award goes to Hotline Miami.
I got it dirt cheap during the Steam Summer Sale, and it's a good thing too. I'm one of those who think a game that was designed to make you frustrated shouldn't be made. It was a frustrating experience for me, start to finish. The game is short and in my opinion offers VERY little to go back to. Music is awful as well. It's not the worst game I've ever played, but I'd sell it if I could.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I only regret purchasing a game if it's bad. Even if I don't like a game I've bought (something which happens very rarely), I wouldn't regret the purchase unless it was an actually bad game.

So the closest I come to regretting a purchase is El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. It's a very good looking game, but the combat is abysmal. I haven't played it for more than a couple hours, so maybe it gets better. And I got it for around $20, so it wasn't too bad.
Nokturos said:
Journey: I bought into the hype and wound up wasting an hour on this pretentious crap.
It's... not even pretentious. How is it pretentious?

IGetNoSlack

Sep 21, 2012
Pink Gregory said:
God, everywhere I go, everybody hates Dishonored.

Game of the decade for me, that one :(
I like Dishonored. It's good, not great, 7.7/10 if you ask me.

Anyway, Surgeon Sim 2013. Which is absolutely unplayable by disabled people like myself.

Nokturos said:
Borderlands: Dull, trudging gameplay mixed with dreadful writing and lousy jokes.
Also this. And it's sequel.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Thief Deadly Shadows - I love the Thief series but even after applying all the fixes the game still freezes and crashing, so I have given up ever playing it.

Deus Ex Invisible War - I didn't have a computer that could run it when it originally came out, so later I picked it up for about £3 in a sale thinking it can't be as bad as everyone says. Needless to say I was very wrong.

loc978 said:
I regret buying a hardcopy of Bioshock, because I have yet to encounter a computer that it doesn't crash due to sound driver issues... also, never found a patch that addresses the crash. So I bought it again on Steam during a sale. That copy works fine even on my linux laptop running everything through Wine. Sigh. Resistance is futile and all that.
I got that sound issue too. Apparently sticking headphones in the mic port fixes it for some bizarre reason.

On Bioshock, I regret Bioshock 2 because didn't realise it used GFWL on top of steam. Spent more time wrestling with signing than playing the game.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
Darksider's 1 & 2
Resident Evil 6
Metal Gear Solid Rising
Tomb Raider reboot
Muramasa for the Vita
The Vita itself
3DS for the sole reason of playing Fire Emblem
God of War Ascension

Not all were bad games its just I felt they weren't worth the money.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
sir neillios said:
SomeLameStuff said:
Everything I bought in last year's Steam sale. I spent about a thousand dollars on the sale (didn't expect that) and played the games for about an hour each on average. Then went back to Dota 2.
How the hell....

Like really, how do you even approach that sort of number?
I spent that money, and I have no idea myself. Impulse Steam Buying is a serious condition.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, I find the game to be one big blur of boring-ness. There was little fun to be had in that game, sure Rome looked nice, I just wish they put that same work into the rest of the game. I hear others say that Revelations is much worse than Brotherhood, I really disagree. Revelations had more of an interesting plot and the Altair sections were well done in my opinion. Brotherhood was just, boring.

Honorable mention goes to Resident Evil 5, most people dislike 6 more, but I prefer 6 over 5. I don't care about the lack of horror elements, or racial issues, it just was a bland, boring game that I do not care to go back to.

Edit: God of War Ascension was so disappointing, not awful, but I wish my brother waited to get it at a discount price rather than pay full price.