Games you know are Awful, but you remember something about them fondly

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I'm surprised no one has said Dragon Age II yet.

Austin Howe said:
Kingdom Hearts II. Really, the times with that game were like shameless quickies with some female co-worker who's actually less attractive than your wife who just gives you simple satisfacttion rather than spiritual completeness. In this case, the wife is Kingdom Hearts. I just remember mashing all the way through it, loving it, rembering that I then remembered nothing about the game except the spectacular ending stuff (and god damn that music), and then it slowly dawning on me how bad it actually was.
That was...really well said.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Medabots Infinity for the gamecube. I remember having a good time playing it. Me and my friend played it recently and it was really bad.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
AbstractStream said:

Austin Howe said:
Thank you. I've been trying to think of eloquent ways to describe my experience with that game, because that game really fools you into thinking it's good.

It's got the more visually interesting combat, it flows more than KHI (read: much less difficult on any level), reaction commands, drive forms and item hotkeys make it feel like there's more depth, the soundtrack is even better than the first one, the mysterious villains, graphics, gummy ship, etc, but that game is awful. Almost everything down to the core of it's existence is abhorrent.

The combat is overly simplistic, the plot gets more complex, but less well-explained, (This is also where what "Light" and "Darkness" are become more defined which ruins the thematic ambiguity of the first game,) we spend zero time with any of the interesting characters (read: Orginization XIII, DiZ/Ansem the Wise, Riku), and really, we spend little time with any characters at all (There was actual development in the first game for Sora and Kairi!). I might be the first person to say that KHII does not have enough cutscenes, seriously. (It also fails to explain why Marluxia rebelled in CoM.) On top of all this, the game got seriously streamlined, and, following a bad modern trend, instead of trying to fix the wonky platforming or expand the limited puzzle/adventure elements of the first game, removed those entirely, resulting in a series of non-stop mashing battles, from which the series has never recovered. Not to mention reaction commands and an increase in total attack animations (allowing Sora to react to more awkward aerial combat situations) and battle abilities (MP Rage anyone?) made combat much easier than in the first game. Only Birth By Sleep has made any progress towards reducing the mashiness of the combat, but the levels are still really, really bad.

Lectori Salutem

Apr 11, 2011
I think I'll have to go with Warriors of Might and Magic on the PS2.
It has PS1 era graphics, clunky controls, horrible AI and simplistic combat that starts out as really challenging but gets ridiculously easy when you acquire a healing spell.

However, for some reason I do quite enjoy playing it, though I can't point out why.

thememan

Mar 30, 2012
Quest 64. Bad due to the rather convoluted "mazes" (Which were only hard to get through because every turn looked the same as the last and there was no way to tell which way you were going), a horribly unbalanced magic system, absolutely bland combat that is about as repetitive as you can imagine, having the very definition of cheater enemies, an absolutely incomprehensible story, almost no character interaction, and no re playability. Even for it's time it was bad. And yet I found myself playing it over... and over... and over... and over...

I love that game.

DFogify

Jul 7, 2011
Sonic adventure battle 2. I loved the concept and game-play but camera angle tended to not cooperate.

Kirbys

Sep 15, 2011
Luigi's Mansion. Had a good and scary atmosphere but with Luigi it was hard to be scared with especially when he tried too hard.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Tank Trax on the spectrum. Simple graphics (ya think!?) two game modes (mountains or foothills), wind speeds that meant nothing, but god damn was it addictive...

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
Kirbys said:
Luigi's Mansion. Had a good and scary atmosphere but with Luigi it was hard to be scared with especially when he tried too hard.
I know what you mean, that was my first Gamecube game, but playing it just a month ago, it was really awful. However, it WAS the first game I played on one of my favorite consoles.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
AbstractStream said:

Austin Howe said:
Kingdom Hearts II. Really, the times with that game were like shameless quickies with some female co-worker who's actually less attractive than your wife who just gives you simple satisfacttion rather than spiritual completeness. In this case, the wife is Kingdom Hearts. I just remember mashing all the way through it, loving it, rembering that I then remembered nothing about the game except the spectacular ending stuff (and god damn that music), and then it slowly dawning on me how bad it actually was.

He says it well as well.

OT: Mass Effect 2. Fuckin' Wesker was Legion. You could charge through solid objects to mash guys in the face Badass. Then there was the shitty cover system, the awful dual-choice dialogue system that punished neutrality, uninteresting human characters, awful ending boss fight, bugs, BIOTIC CHARGE NOT FUCKING WORKING, half the game being loyalty missions and random planets full of mooks (and I lost half the crew anyway because of the paragade bullshit).

Why the fuck did any of you like that?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Army of Two.

Quite possibly the most horribly bad game I've ever played.

But playing it with one of my friends had us both laughing ourselves half to death almost the entire time.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
Shadow the Hedgehog on the Gamecube, and the Dragonball Z: Legacy of Goku games on GBA.
I played them both when I was too young to recognize the poor implementation of gameplay mechanics. All I knew was that it was Dragonball Z and Sonic (Technically a Sonic spin-off, but oh well), two franchises that I loved. I suppose nobody is completely immune to nostalgia-blindness.