Games you like playing, but are bad at?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I'm still just kind of okay at fighting games after seven years of playing many of them. I can't get enough, to be honest.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Adventure games. While I love a lot of them for their interesting stories, I lack the patience to figure out stuff for myself. I know that's kind of the point, but I prefer a streamlined experience.

And technically the 'Souls' games. While I've beaten Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2 Scholar and Bloodborne, I don't think that's necessarily because I'm good at it. I just level up my health and damage output to a ridiculous degree so killing off tougher enemies is not because I've memorized their attack patterns.

Sinister Minister

May 20, 2009
Counter-Strike. I couldn't be worse at it, I think, but I get the occasional lucky round where my aim holds true and it's just worth all the time spent dying and watching the rest of the players.

Sometimes just listening to the dorks on the mic is worth it, too.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
darkcalling said:
I've always enjoyed fighting games but I've never been more than passable at them. I tend to be just slightly better at them than my brother(who is usually the only real person I play against). Never really felt that interested in going online with it.
Ah, fighting games. Ive been playing Street Fighter since before SF2 had subtitles, but I've still never figured out the input for a shoryuken. I've seen dudes that do nothing buy shoryuken the entire fight, I can't do it ONCE!

Jan 19, 2016
JCAll said:
darkcalling said:
I've always enjoyed fighting games but I've never been more than passable at them. I tend to be just slightly better at them than my brother(who is usually the only real person I play against). Never really felt that interested in going online with it.
Ah, fighting games. Ive been playing Street Fighter since before SF2 had subtitles, but I've still never figured out the input for a shoryuken. I've seen dudes that do nothing buy shoryuken the entire fight, I can't do it ONCE!
You know there's a shortcut for that, right? If you tap down-forward twice + punch, it will do a DP. There are shortcuts for a lot of moves in the more recent SF games. If you go on YouTube, the VesperArcade channel has some really good tutorials on execution.

Aug 31, 2012
ManutheBloodedge said:
(which coincidentally is a stupid name for a planet. Who decided to name it that? Did they had a new world around they wanted to switch to and forgot about it after a while?)
That's not the name of the planet. It's pretty much the same as the way old world and new world were used in reality.

http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Old_World

Dawn of War 2. I suck at it, I can just beat the AI on normal difficulty because a bug with the Elite mod means that AI doesn't attack power. But it looks so cool. I usually just was commentated replays

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Any RTS games. I like them but I am shithouse at them and more often than not I die in like 10 minutes.

ManutheBloodedge

Feb 7, 2016
Zykon TheLich said:
ManutheBloodedge said:
(which coincidentally is a stupid name for a planet. Who decided to name it that? Did they had a new world around they wanted to switch to and forgot about it after a while?)
That's not the name of the planet. It's pretty much the same as the way old world and new world were used in reality.

http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Old_World
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. But if you think about it, that is still a stupid name for a continent as well. Different continents are not older or newer, they just get discovered in a different order. I kinda get calling a continent new world, because it was newly discovered and everything, but retroactively calling the other contintent old after that is still dumb.

I am suprised many people mentioned fighting games. I guess because you can get really, really good at them, and the people look at the pro players for comparison. In my opinion, if cou can do some easy combos, special moves and supers reliably well, you are not a bad player. Basically, if you can get through the arcade mode without much trouble (though that can differ with different fighting games). Just because you are not in the online platinum league doesn't mean you are bad, you are just less good than a lot of really commited people. Would you say you are bad at running even though you run every day for a hour just because you are not running in the olympics?

Aug 31, 2012
ManutheBloodedge said:
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. But if you think about it, that is still a stupid name for a continent as well. Different continents are not older or newer, they just get discovered in a different order. I kinda get calling a continent new world, because it was newly discovered and everything, but retroactively calling the other contintent old after that is still dumb.
Well, that's what we did in reality...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_World

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'm terrible at Enter the Gungeon but damn if I don't adore it. If only for its amazing visual design.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
I kind of like racing games, Asetto Corsa, Dirt Rally, Project Cars etc.
And i'm setting absolute terrible laptimes, even if it's a lot of fun.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty bad at RTS games, but love the ones I've played.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mister K said:
Fighting games. I am not absolutely terrible, I (usually) don't spam an attack if it's not working, I (usually) can combo a normal into special into super, but that's it. I can't do anything more complicated.

But I do like them.
Same but I abit of an oppersite per say.

I means seriously I TRY to learn the tutorial in Skullgirls but I still can get my thumbs around the gamepad control layout eventhought the layout is literally that joystick control used in tournament fighting games!

In saying so I have more control with Street Fighter but that's only cos I grow up with the franchise.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Mister K said:
Fighting games. I am not absolutely terrible, I (usually) don't spam an attack if it's not working, I (usually) can combo a normal into special into super, but that's it. I can't do anything more complicated.

But I do like them.

I means seriously I TRY to learn the tutorial in Skullgirls but I still can get my fingers around the gamepad control layout eventhought the layout is literally that joystick control used in tournament fighting games!

In saying so I have more control with Street Fighter but that's only cos I grow up with the franchise.
Well, even though Skullgirls and Guilty Gear: Revelator provide players with robust tutorials, they are still from damn hard and damn fast "anime-fighter" subgenre of fighting games (the one where you must rely on extremely long combos, dashes and air combat), while Street Fighter is slower, more methodical and generally easier.

Have you tried King of Fighters games? They are harder than SF, since there are many hard inputs for supers, a lot of jumps (yes, jumps with different properties) and you have to learn to play three characters instead of one, but it is still of moderate difficulty AND (at least in XIII) tiers of characters aren't that... scattered and lowest of low tier can still fair pretty well against top tiers. Netplay can be a bit unstable though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mister K said:
Scarim Coral said:
Mister K said:

But I do like them.

I means seriously I TRY to learn the tutorial in Skullgirls but I still can get my fingers around the gamepad control layout eventhought the layout is literally that joystick control used in tournament fighting games!

Well, even though Skullgirls and Guilty Gear: Revelator provide players with robust tutorials, they are still from damn hard and damn fast "anime-fighter" subgenre of fighting games (the one where you must rely on extremely long combos, dashes and air combat), while Street Fighter is slower, more methodical and generally easier.

Have you tried King of Fighters games? They are harder than SF, since there are many hard inputs for supers, a lot of jumps (yes, jumps with different properties) and you have to learn to play three characters instead of one, but it is still of moderate difficulty AND (at least in XIII) tiers of characters aren't that... scattered and lowest of low tier can still fair pretty well against top tiers. Netplay can be a bit unstable though.
Not really, I'm only played Street Fighter, Skullgirls, Soul Calibur with abit of Tekken (when I was over at my mate house) and Dead or Alive (when my bro had the Xbox). Speaking of Dead or Alive, that game was easy as in spam your way into combo sort of easiness!

ManutheBloodedge

Feb 7, 2016
Zykon TheLich said:
ManutheBloodedge said:
Well, that's what we did in reality...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_World
I know. Doesn't make it any less stupid. Or maybe unimaginative is a better word for it.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
I like playing RTS games, but I'm utterly horrible at them. Which is why I tend to stick to campaign or skirmish battles against the AI and stay well clear of the Multiplayer, specially the micro heavy ones like Starcraft. I'm just too slow for those.

I like watching Fighting Games but I honestly don't ever play any anymore. Mostly due to the fact that the most complex move I can manage is doing a Hadouken, and even then I'm not even competent at it. I end up just mashing buttons most of the time, haha.