Games you like that are "uncool" to like.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Resident Evil 6

The game's pretty much been crucified, vivisected, and paraded around town as a pathetic example of homogenization and a series desperately needing to either be rebooted, or forgotten about entirely and left in the dirt.

You know, I'm not going to pretend the game doesn't have problems.

But I still like it!

The co-op is a blast, each campaign is of fair length and feels very different from one another and each builds up to a satisfying conclusion, but perhaps my favorite thing about the game are the J'avo enemies.

and i STILL play RE6 every now and then as well. Yes, I really do like this game.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
The entire post-Modern Warfare CoD series is pretty uncool to like in gaming circles. I haven't played much of all of them, but BlOps2 is great fun with friends.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I like Sonic Adventure and absolutely LOVE Sonic Adventure 2.

I enjoy the Halo series.

I always end up playing the latest COD and enjoy it.

Mass Effect 3 was an awesome game

asap

Aug 10, 2012
None.
Things are cool because I like them. Other people act accordingly.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Fifa games.

They're really fun to play with my brother, but i can't give them more credit than that

Dragon Age 2.

I must have written the amount of a short novel on this, i have defended it on many threads, and i will in this one too. Sure the combat was much more null, enemies popped out of nowhere and they used the same 3 caves on everything, but despite all that, the combat did feel much more energetic and fast, the story felt well put together, and the setting of Kirkwall was not too shabby, and neither were the characters. I will have to say that i do prefer DA:O to DA2, but DA2 is still good in my opinion.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
kyosai7 said:
I enjoy playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 with friends.

Also, I friggin LOVED Too Human. REALLY underrated game.
Im not sure if Blops 2, or COD in general, actually counts. Cause really, its cool to think COD is uncool, so its not really hating on COD because its uncool, its hating on COD so to be cool...

Also, I enjoy Blops 2 as well.

Anathrax said:
Brink. Nonexistent single player and launch issues aside I enjoyed that game more than *sets up citadel* Team Fortress 2.
I loved Brink when it first came out... shame it didnt catch on. It may have been rough, but it was the first (and like AP, likely to be the only) game of its own particular niche. It could only have gotten better with sequels.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
I'm surprised how many people are picking really populist games. Hell, games that were both critically and commercially successful. I know The Escapist community has tried to keep up its "indie cred" and such, but come on guys. You can't pick Black Ops 2 of Battlefield 3! They were multi-million sellers! Hundreds of thousands of people play them every day! They have enjoyed great success and have secured themselves massive fanbases. If playing popular games is "uncool," then, well, what the hell is cool.
Possibly because they are commercially successful is that they are disliked by many people. Not only people here tend to think of massively successful games as little more than innocent, popcorn entertainment at best; but popular games are those that are most likely to be uncool to like (not popular games just don't garner enough attention to be considered cool or uncool). If I said I liked "FUEL", for example, that wouldn't qualify because its so obscure its coolness would go either way.

OT: I liked DMC, even more than I liked most of the previous games of the franchise.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Zhukov said:
Angry Birds. I really don't see why anyone would hate on this game. Well, okay... I do, it's because it's popular among non-"hardcore" gamers, and people can be complete twats about that sort of thing, but I don't see a good reason to hate on it. It's a thoroughly amusing way to kill time in a waiting room or during a slow lunch break.
I reckon a lot of the hate is because of the developers Rovio.They've had one(admittedly huge)hit which wasn't even an original idea and suddenly they're acting all Billy Big Bollocks talking about how they're the future of the games industry etc.Since then they've kinda become the Activision of mobile gaming milking their one mega successful franchise to death

I don't personally think it's a valid reason to hate the game but I've seen a similar(albeit on a much smaller scale)backlash against the likes of Braid and Fez because their developers came across as dicks in interviews

AndrewF022 said:
I really like Conflict Desert Storm on the PS2, I vastly preferred it over Socom at the time.
When was Conflict:Desert Storm ever considered uncool?I loved that game and it's sequel(Vietnam and Global Storm were not as good however)I have very fond memories of playing those games in co-op with my brother

Kinda puts me in the mood to play them again.To Amazon we go

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
if the COD collection is the "Cool" game, then all my games are "uncool" and i couldn't give less a shit even if i was bullied about my "uncool" games. who gives a crap if a game is "cool" or not? play whatever the hell you want. what are you 13?

* rant *

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
It's not exactly uncool on the Escapist, but elsewhere on the 'net admitting you like the new DmC will get you set on fire. It's a fun hack 'n' slash, just not groundbreaking. I can understand why DMC fans are disappointed but, for me, it was a wonderful game.

I really liked Crysis 2, even if I agree that Crysis 1 was better.

Chuck Rock was considered to be yet another generic 2D platformer at release, but I still had fun. The level design was quite open and the aesthetics were very charming.

Toejam And Earl: Panic on Funkotron was considered a sellout because it went from the original's bizzare top-down treasure hunt gameplay into a 2D platformer. It was anything but generic, though, with it's extremely open levels filled with secrets and downright weird enemies. One of my favourite games from the 16-bit era. I prefer it to the original.

As for games that are usually considered genuinely bad...

I really enjoyed Shadow The Hedgehog. It did so many things wrong, but I just love running around, holding the fire button and watching things explode.

Last Battle on the Megadrive was normally considered boring and repetitive but I found challenging and enjoyable.

There's something weirdly engaging about Drakengard. The gameplay is inexcusably boring, both the graphics and the aesthetics are ugly as shit and the story is so bleak and everyone is such an aresehole that you just don't give a shit. I couldn't tell you why I like it, it's a terrible game. Maybe it's because I played it when I was an angsty teenager who loved grimdark, I dunno. It's sequel was marginally better, but Nier was a massive improvement and a game I think deserved a far better reception than it got.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Mass Effect 3.

Moving on.

Angry Birds. I really don't see why anyone would hate on this game. Well, okay... I do, it's because it's popular among non-"hardcore" gamers, and people can be complete twats about that sort of thing, but I don't see a good reason to hate on it. It's a thoroughly amusing way to kill time in a waiting room or during a slow lunch break.
I hate Angry Birds because my little brother never shuts the fuck up about it D:

You don't want to know how many stuffed angry birds litter my house.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Fappy said:
Zhukov said:
Mass Effect 3.

Moving on.

I hate Angry Birds because my little brother never shuts the fuck up about it D:

Oh hey, I only just realized that avatar was you. Having regular posters change avatar is surprisingly disorientating.

*ahem*

How can someone not shut up about Angry Birds? I like it and all, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that can really fuel a conversation, y'know?

"Wow, I knocked all four buildings down with just one bird!"
"Heh. Cool. Good job."
"Yeah I know, right?"
"Yeah."
"Hm."

I mean, where does the discussion go from there?

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
-Final Fantasy 13 and it's sequels. Linearity isn't a big detractor for me and the music was incredible. Also, X-2 is my favourite FF game:p

-DmC Devil May Cry... I still don't understand the logic in that name.
Sure the combat is dumbed down, but it's really flashy. The 30fps cap is only an issue if you're not part of the master race:p
The voice acting was really good, music was great (even though I loathe dubstep), level design was awesome and I preferred the new Dante over the old one. He was just an asshole in the original games, now he's an asshole for a reason.

But his hair isn't white so I guess it's the worst game ever made and everybody that likes it should kill themselves.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Fappy said:
Zhukov said:
Mass Effect 3.

Moving on.

Oh hey, I only just realized that avatar was you. Having regular posters change avatar is surprisingly disorientating.

*ahem*

How can someone not shut up about Angry Birds? I like it and all, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that can really fuel a conversation, y'know?

"Wow, I knocked all four buildings down with just one bird!"
"Heh. Cool. Good job."
"Yeah I know, right?"
"Yeah."
"Hm."

I mean, where does the discussion go from there?
Sorry about that. I've been going through my bi-annual avatar identity crisis >.>

OT: Well, considering he is six... he kind just yells about it.

It goes something like this:

"I got the RED BIRD and I hit ALL THE PIGS! AND IT WENT *insert bird coo SFX* and *insert pig death SFX*!"

"That's... great Zach..."

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Zhukov said:
Pretty much this. It's spin off, Bad Piggies isn't that bad either.

OT: I really enjoyed the Halo games. Mainly the first three.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Hey! I actually like Zapper: One Wicked Cricket! And StarFox Assault is my favorite game in the series! I have also found very much enjoyment out of Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog. Oh, yeah, and Twilight Princess? I think I had even more fun with that than The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I can swing my sword while running. While running!

Something else I should mention is that after seeing this review and being reminded of what it did get right (boss battles, gameplay variety, amusing weapons like the shrink ray, etc.) and what the alternative is (Call of Duty, Battlefield, Homefront, etc.), I actually want to play Duke Nukem Forever! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKFRlk2bPuc

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
KissmahArceus said:
The Syndicate remake...
Bah! I was on a cheap game kick and it was between Syndicate and Binary Domain. I flipped a coin in my head and went with Binary Domain.

I chose poorly.