Games you love but sometimes hate the fellow fans of.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
sravankb said:
Jesus Christ, Escapist users. Just calm down and stop with the fucking hate threads already. It's obnoxious at this point.
It just wouldn't be the same without the hate threads.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
sravankb said:
AlternatePFG said:
sravankb said:
Jesus Christ, Escapist users. Just calm down and stop with the fucking hate threads already. It's obnoxious at this point.
Not really. It can definitely be more peaceful than it is now. Just a few years back, there were sensible threads where people discussed their favorite games, were a lot less judgmental, and actually recommended good music/movies/games to one another. Now, all I see is this -

Oh yeah I know, you're completely right about that.

Dr. Feelgood

Jul 13, 2010
Zombie Izzard said:
Resident Evil fans. I get that the old school games were great but god damn is it a crime they tried something new?
No, I actually enjoyed the change of pace after other games in the series. However, the earlier games had more of a focus on exploration and puzzles. Still, I love RE5 and 4 just the same.

OT: I absolutely despise my fellow Halo fans. Seriously, go on the Reach forums, trolls and douchebags everywhere. Like most forums, it's still like arguing with a wall, but the Reach forums are seriously fucked up. Still, not everyone on there is bad, especially Forum Ninjas. Those people are ultra-cool in my book.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Don't get me started on the Diablo fan-base... I mean, yes it's an excellent game series and I can't wait for the third, but the level of devotion I've seen from some people is ludicrous.

Can't wait for the third, but knowing Blizzard I guess I'll have to :p

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I love me some Naruto but I can't stand some Narutards.
And I agree with Yahtzee on this one: Portal fans.

Srs bzns

Feb 4, 2011
cthulhumythos said:
Strain42 said:
Topic title really says it all.

Me for example, I love the MegaTen franchise, but I can't stand my fellow fans sometimes. Whether it's the ones who just whine that every game they release isn't Persona 5, the ones who automatically assume everyone who plays the games are just as big an anime watching Japanophile as they are.

I'm sure everyone has at least one series they love where they can't stand the fans. What's yours?
like, all of them.

halo's what comes immediately to my mind though. not on here necessarily (all the halo fans i've noticed on the escapist are relatively level-headed seeming) but just about all of the ones on bungie.net are insufferable whiners. seriously, the game gets more hate there any where else i've been.
Have you seen some Halo fans on YT? Every single soundtrack on there from one of the games will have some 'memorial' on it with upwards of 100 thumbs (seriously?). But then trailers, well those are just flamewars.

And I think you will find that most of the users on Bnet that start the flame threads are just trolls now.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I tend to dislike Mass Effect fans who take the universe and characters way too serious.

Hearing someone say they hate Tali because she's apparently racist agianst sentient robots makes me sigh a mushroom cloud.

TrueRugioBlue

Jul 10, 2011
Sonic the Hedgehog fans creep me out with their fan art and fanfics. As much as I love Sonic, I stay away from all the fan sites in case I run into something that no amount of soap will help unsee.

Flaming Narwhal

May 6, 2011
Strain42 said:

Me for example, I love the MegaTen franchise, but I can't stand my fellow fans sometimes. Whether it's the ones who just whine that every game they release isn't Persona 5, the ones who automatically assume everyone who plays the games are just as big an anime watching Japanophile as they are.

I'm sure everyone has at least one series they love where they can't stand the fans. What's yours?
My problem exactly. As much as I love the Persona series, I can still really enjoy their games, like Strange Journey.

Although, the problem with super fans seems to permeate all subjects; I like anime and manga, but that doesn't mean that whatever comes out of Japan is inherently superior to whatever comes out of the West. Good creators and storytellers can come from ANYWHERE!

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
sravankb said:
AlternatePFG said:
sravankb said:
Not really. It can definitely be more peaceful than it is now. Just a few years back, there were sensible threads where people discussed their favorite games, were a lot less judgmental, and actually recommended good music/movies/games to one another. Now, all I see is this -

Well when I made a "what's your favorite game franchise?" thread it sat dormant for two days and so I eventually made a comment and got a warning for bumping so...yeah, that clearly does say something about the community here, doesn't it?

Hate is easier to relate to. People can gather together towards hating stuff more than they can actually liking it. Youtube is proof of that.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Vault101 said:
Cant say specifically but fans who lose their shit over somthing "different" or act like its a personal attack if said developer does somthing they dont like
CM156 said:
I love Dragon Age (Even 2) and Mass Effect, but I HATE Bioware fans. That's why I never use their forums.
what dont you like about bioware fans? (Im genuinley interested)
I feel this way: If Bioware gave people a solid gold robot that did dishes and cured cancer, Bioware fans would complain that it also didn't do laundry as well. They behave like spoilt children.

OT: Valve fans aren't always bad, but the Portal ones are the WORST

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
Srs bzns said:
cthulhumythos said:
Strain42 said:

like, all of them.

halo's what comes immediately to my mind though. not on here necessarily (all the halo fans i've noticed on the escapist are relatively level-headed seeming) but just about all of the ones on bungie.net are insufferable whiners. seriously, the game gets more hate there any where else i've been.
Have you seen some Halo fans on YT? Every single soundtrack on there from one of the games will have some 'memorial' on it with upwards of 100 thumbs (seriously?). But then trailers, well those are just flamewars.

And I think you will find that most of the users on Bnet that start the flame threads are just trolls now.
yeah, i don't give youtube much thought. i've pretty much declared it "where intelligence goes to die" and stop reading comments.

what's with opinions and

A). people loudly declaring their controversial one as if to say "hey look i'm different"

B). people practically fighting to the death to defend their own

*Note- i'm guilty of A and B.

xidphel

Jul 3, 2008
I'm gonna cheat and say Not-CoD. I'm not a fan of CoD and usually show it by not talking about it but I'm apparently the only one who does so in that not-CoD fandom! I haven't seen people say they like CoD (Except for that whole CoD convention thing) and I actually saw someone say that it's impossible to like CoD and any other FPS!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CM156 said:
Vault101 said:
Cant say specifically but fans who lose their shit over somthing "different" or act like its a personal attack if said developer does somthing they dont like
CM156 said:
I love Dragon Age (Even 2) and Mass Effect, but I HATE Bioware fans. That's why I never use their forums.
what dont you like about bioware fans? (Im genuinley interested)
I feel this way: If Bioware gave people a solid gold robot that did dishes and cured cancer, Bioware fans would complain that it also didn't do laundry as well. They behave like spoilt children.

OT: Valve fans aren't always bad, but the Portal ones are the WORST
ah yes I agree with you there

and this is specifically the kind of thing that really pisses me off

Dapz

Sep 2, 2009
I'm a big Bioware fan, but their fans drive me up the wall. The most recent and obvious example is Dragon Age II: it wasn't quite as good as Origins but they were just trying something different and while the odd complaint about how it didn't work is OK, the level of whinging, boycott threats, and ranting about how CD Projekt are so much better was uncalled for!