Games you love but yet suck at.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Hey y'all everybody. Recently, I acquired a couple of games, Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy. Now, I love Rhythm games, and I consider myself pretty good at them, but when I play these games, It's just fail after fail after fail, and even good songs like these can get grating after a while

I could gripe all day, but that's not what this thread is for. So, I ask of you, What games do you love, yet for some reason cannot play?

Thr33X

Aug 23, 2013
First Person Shooters. I love Battlefield...but I suck at it. Too slow on the draw most of the time. I have a blast playing the game, but I don't go in expecting to score high on the leaderboards let's just say.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I'd say Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but it is sort of hard to enjoy that game when I spend 90% of the fight just watching my characters get beat up. Injustice, however, is a game I can't seem to play at all, but I do enjoy it, especially since the skill level of my friends isn't anywhere near as unbalanced as it is with UMCV3. Modern Warfare 2 was also one of my worst Call of Duty game and was pretty much a constant struggle for me during its lifespan, but I still enjoyed it and consider it among the better games in the series. Outside of those games, I can't think of any. OK, Dark Souls is pretty much a given, but games like that are really just a matter of practice and patience, and I always give enough to eventually get good at them.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Strategy games, more specifically SJRPGs. I'm not good at planning ahead, at most I can plan my next move but nothing beyond that. I'd love to get into FF Tactics and all the NIS titles, but I die too much in any one besides Disgaea. Even in Disgaea 4 I felt I was doing something wrong because I had to grind (which in the previous ones I played I didn't have to).

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
I got Company of Heroes with the THQ bundle last Christmas, but only recently installed it. I had played CoH: Online (the free online version that lasted only a few months) and I had played with friends a few times. I know how to play really well in theory (I think) since I've watched a lot of multiplayer matches. But like with every RTS, as soon as I have to control things on more than 2-3 screens, I start to lose control of the game. I'll tentatively move a tank forward slightly, move away to control another unit, and come back to realize that a blob of Rangers just rushed it and took it out with bazookas. Suddenly I'm no longer capable of preventing my troops from moving out of cover, or getting two units to attack two different targets, or forgetting that I left a machine gun I intended to use to protect my anti-tank gun in my base and now it's paying for it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
This seems familiar.

RTS and fighting games.

More specifically, Starcraft, BlazBlue, and most recently undoubtedly Skullgirls.

The only fighting games I've ever been any good at were the DBZ Budokai games and Super Smash Bros, and that's because pulling off combos and chains and special moves in those games didn't require the dexterity and timing of a brain surgeon.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Pretty much every RTS in existence. I suck at them and have a tough time beating the AI on easy by myself, but I still love playing them. For example of how bad I am, I can't beat the Starcraft 2 AI on easy. I take my time in base-building RTSs and I'm really hard pressed to construct buildings, gather resources, build units, and command said units all at once.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
I'm pretty bad at Monster Hunter and yet I still love playing it despite the frustration.

I'm also not that great at MOBAs although I would attribute that to problems in morale. I can't really get into a game when my teammates are calling me a noob for not abandoning my lane so I could save their sorry ass on the other side of the map. MOBAs seem to bring out the very worst in everyone who plays them.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Starcraft. It's been years since I played it but when I did I'd always use some kind of cheat code while playing to give myself some sort of leeway. I did eventually manage to wean myself off of the cheats to the point I could play the game without them, but I'm still not that good at it and I refuse to ever play against someone online because of that.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
King of Fighters XIII I love the art and animation in that game as well as its systems but its hard as hell for me to actually get into I can usually muddle through most fighting games but I am at a loss with KOFXIII admittedly its me not putting in enough time but it does seem to be quite execution heavy even though I have recently discovered the push button trick.

Terraniux

Oct 4, 2011
I could just say, "every game I've ever played," but I suppose I'll provide an example.

The first one off the top of my head is Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Honestly, I wouldn't say that I 'suck,' just wildly inconsistent with the quality of my playing, but I'm most definitely not a good player. Most of the time I die slightly or significantly more than I kill, yet somehow I keep going back--and I've even unlocked every single weapon in the game save the Archer's. Strangely, I've never done poorly in a game where someone's actively calling out people who have bad scores.

felbot

May 11, 2011
im pretty good at most games with the exception of sports games and rts games, and i dislike sports games anyway so only rts games.

played so much warcraft 3 some 10 years ago, still suck at it, can't even get through the campaign on hard properly, much less win anything in an on-line match.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I only suck at the following games:

Every arcade game ever.

Classic Tron? Fail. Xevious? Fail. Ooh, there was one game similar to Space Harrier except you drove a flying car. I was pretty good at that because it was all speed and--no, fail. Coin op machines are like Vegas, meaning these empires weren't built on 'winners'.

I think its why I love Fallout 3 so much, because I can wear the Chinese Stealth Suit and shoot mutants in the face with the dart gun 50 times and not be detected.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
This seems familiar.

RTS and fighting games.

More specifically, Starcraft, BlazBlue, and most recently undoubtedly Skullgirls.

The only fighting games I've ever been any good at were the DBZ Budokai games and Super Smash Bros, and that's because pulling off combos and chains and special moves in those games didn't require the dexterity and timing of a brain surgeon.
Ok really off topic question but if you have the new PC release of Skullgirls can you tell me how sparse the online population is? It was practically dead on arrival when it released on 360 and as much as I would love to play my Filia online I don't want to buy it to find it dead in the water... Again. And does it have a command list on the pause menu finally?

OT: Definitely BlazBlue. The only one person I can play half decently is Mu-12 because she has zoning and three separate get the fuck off moves. I keep going back to Makoto because she's fun to play, then I play a game and immediately drop her again. Really would be nice to get out of this corner some time this year. She's so short range any fucker within a mile radius can chuck moves at her to keep her blocking and she has ZERO options to counterattack, unless you count holding Barrier Block while praying to not die as a counterattack. Where's my Origins? I want my three get back moves!

Also i'm so glad they're removing purple throws for Chrono Phantasma. Fuck those things. Ending combos? More like, free impossible to stop without the reflexes of a god resets lol.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Persona 4 arena . I really liked that game . But i'm terrible at it . I mained as Elizabeth , and it doesn't help that she's low tier. But she's just too awsome to put down. I'm more of a UMVC3 guy anyways . I like the fast pace , split second combat . Games like SSF4 is cool to watch , but boring to play ( at least for me ) because everything is so damn slow .

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
shrekfan246 said:
This seems familiar.

RTS and fighting games.

Ok really off topic question but if you have the new PC release of Skullgirls can you tell me how sparse the online population is? It was practically dead on arrival when it released on 360 and as much as I would love to play my Filia online I don't want to buy it to find it dead in the water... Again. And does it have a command list on the pause menu finally?
I just bought it yesterday, so unfortunately I can't really speak for the state of the online community.

[sub](Also I don't play much online in the first place, though I may attempt to check it out a few times... >.>)[/sub]

As of right this moment there's apparently around 367 people in-game, so make of that what you will. I don't know enough about fighting game communities to know if that's decent or horribad.

It does have command lists, though. Even for characters you're not currently using.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I've always been horrible at RTS games despite them being my favorite Genre.

Not really that good at World of Tanks either, which is sad because I really like that game.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
RTS games like Age of Empires. I really enjoy them but for some reason the enemy computer doesn't have any interest in building a thriving city so much as instantly spamming me with their armies. Even real life wasn't that brutal most of the time. I've never given one of these games the required amount of time to learn how to consistently beat their AI.

I've found that Dawn of War has an acceptable difficulty ratio. I've played it for days of time (not straight). I especially liked when they started to create a risk-like scenario.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Odd experience you describe, because I rarely find myself playing a game I am not good at yet love, I DO however find myself reaching very difficult moments or trying harder playthroughs that kill me several times and I enjoy it because I'm actually being challenged rather than cheated.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
The Wykydtron said:
shrekfan246 said:
This seems familiar.

RTS and fighting games.

I just bought it yesterday, so unfortunately I can't really speak for the state of the online community.

[sub](Also I don't play much online in the first place, though I may attempt to check it out a few times... >.>)[/sub]

As of right this moment there's apparently around 367 people in-game, so make of that what you will. I don't know enough about fighting game communities to know if that's decent or horribad.

It does have command lists, though. Even for characters you're not currently using.
Well I suppose the fact that somebody is playing the damn thing online is good. Literally zero people online after the first month or so, I waited in queue for at least half an hour every other day for a while.

Right then, guess that and the new DLC character is worth spending £12 on. Pretty much looking for any excuse to buy the game and support the devs really.

Well then, good old installation time. Just gonna go into DOTA 2 solo queue and instalock Phantom Assassin to pass the time. Nobody cares about team composition, it's great :D