Games you loved then, but dislike now.

Minic

Dec 18, 2007
FireBlade_2049 said:
The Tony Hawk games (1 to American Wasteland). I played them RELIGIOUSLY as a kid. As in 100% completion in every single one (yes, all goals AND gaps.). As soon as I got the Wii one though, they all just became boring and stupid.
Wow, I remember seeing a commercial for the first game on PS1, then owning it that Christmas. I liked Bob Burnquist the best. Why? He came from Brazil, that's why. Crazy exotic 'n' stuff.

I've moved on to more interesting multiplayer experiences since, though. I guess everyone has, really. Appropriate, considering Neversoft have generally moved onto a new major series as well (Guitar Hero).

indigo70 said:
[...] I'd have to say the game I'm most disappointed in going back to play now is Super Mario Land 2 for the original game boy. Used to love it and play it on family road trips all the time, picked it up and just couldn't get into it. Didn't feel like the same game I loved as a kid.
Awesome game. I haven't tried to replay it yet - I'm not even sure where it would be - but I fondly remember a lot of bunny-eared, Wario-bashing good times on my brother's brick-shaped Game Boy.

shatnershaman said:
Crash Bandicoot-Its still okay but looking back it wasn't the "Bestest Game on Playstation" I used to think it was.
Those games I HAVE replayed. The wonder I felt with #2 is still present after nearly ten years, and #3 is the best of the series.

On the subject of PS1 platformers, I can't say I feel the same for the Spyro games. #2 was AMAZING when I first played it, but it's ridiculously easy nowadays. The saddest thing is that both those groups of games are more fun than their current iterations.

the monopoly guy said:
I used to like teh GTA series...now I don't really. It's gotten old. I used to love test drive 5 on the ps1, but no it seems reather lackluster, with crappy car controls and generic races. I agree with the necroswanson, that game is amazing.
Agreed. My brother bought Vice City Stories for me and I thought, "hey, what's bad about a GTA fix?" Sadly, though, the missions became way too redundant, and I haven't touched it for several months.

Rob Sharona

May 29, 2008
Theme Park.
I remember drawing what the perfect theme park would like then try and build it.

When a pretty much direct port for the DS came out I bought it for nostalgia's sake. Infuriated the living crap out of me. Man I had patience when I was a young gamer.

Rob Sharona

May 29, 2008
Nock said:
Zombies Ate My Neighbors don't seem to have aged well for me.
No way! Multiplayer Zombies is still ace today. I would put it up there with multiplayer Super Bomberman 2 in the compulsory modern day SNES gaming experiences list.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Halo. Thank you Half-Life, or I'd still be a fanboy.

And I remember Croc. My PS1 Broke, though, so I can't justify your opinion.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Let's see:

1) Bomberman games. Can't really stand it nowadays
2) Sonic the Hedgehog games
3) RTS games like Red Alert or Tiberium Sun - probably because I've played too many which are the same
4) Definitely SimCity games. I don't know why I liked them when I was younger. Now, they're just annoying exercises in micro-management, and completely unrewarding.

Chrausis

Jul 2, 2008
Holy Magic Century (Quest 64 in US)

Was pretty good when i was about 9...played it recently and wondered how I wasted so much life on it

Takatchi

Jul 4, 2008
I was a Pokemon fiend back when Red and Blue were announced, to the point that I owned Blue AND Red so that I could trade Pokemon with myself without having to work with anyone. Not that I played entirely by myself, but I could only play with others once or twice a week, and that just wasn't conducive to raising a proper Pokemon legion!

When Fire Red and Leaf Green came out, I was like "Hell yeah!" and was salivating over the idea of taking my DS to work with Fire Red to pass the hours. ...then I played for maybe three hours, went "eh," and put it down.

ECHO 062

Jul 4, 2008
Driver and Driver 2.
Awesome for their time, rubbish now. Although i did finally beat the last level of driver one a few months back. It took hours. Stupid cheating police cars...

Colton Caramihalis

Apr 16, 2008
eaisly goldeneye. It was an inovation, and i played it for hours. Now I cant play, the controles are borken. and every serface is the same.

It is still a huge inovation

ByronicHero7

Jun 18, 2008
ENTER THE MATRIX

That game is terrible but I used to have an obsession with the movies so I loved the game.

owlet

Jun 2, 2008
Silent hill, the first one. having left it on the shelf for the past 10 years or so i thought i'd play through again. i got bored too quickly.

Saying that, i found Parasite Eve and R-Type Delta on the shelf next to it and i played both those through again quite happily.

Divinegon

Dec 12, 2007
Disgaea. And it makes me feel terrible because I really like the overall atmosphere of the game and want to finish it, but there is so much grinding that I feel like I'm playing a MMORPG. After quiting for a year, I progressively try to return to it but I just can't once I notice I'm not doing anything more than just grinding for levels.

And I'm a RPG lover, augh!

owlet: Parasite Eve is immaculate. Finished that game 3-4 times over my life and it never feels dull.

Minic

Dec 18, 2007
Colton Caramihalis said:
eaisly goldeneye. It was an inovation, and i played it for hours. Now I cant play, the controles are borken. and every serface is the same.

It is still a huge inovation
That's a good point to bring up. Some games, while touted as revolutionary and significant, have simply been improved upon to the point that it's not particularly fun to play them. I'm not saying that they're not worthy of recognition; it's just the truth that they haven't aged that well.

FreedanZero

Jul 3, 2008
I remember playing goldeneye with my friends and having so much fun. I went to boot it up the other day, and all i managed to do was annoy myself to the point i didn't wanna play the game anymore. Broken controls, hideous design choices, it has fallen into the bin of licensed crap in my book. Not saying it was bad then, just bad now.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
zoo tycoon.. you build shit get some animals build some more shit get dinosaurs to eat costumers build even more shit.
Im not saying its a bad game I just cant understand why I played it for so long a few years ago

T360

Jun 21, 2008
i argee with the person who said excitebike is just boring now.

a few others

about 4 years ago i realized i was toatlly over mortal Kombat i was sitting there playing and i was like im way to old to be what is basiclly an addolsence boys wet dream.

fighting games in gernal have lost there appeal to me outside of street fighter and soul cailber

in an odd twist i had given up on fps along time ago( i played the orgainal doom and doom 2 and gave up on fps shortly afterwords) and im just know starting to play them again with the darkness and COD4

a big stupid idiot

Jan 9, 2008
The Pokémon Stadium games for the N64. I remember playing these games 24/7 when I was a kid, now I can barely bring myself to play more than 5 minutes.

pieeater911

Jun 27, 2008
Though it has been said many times already, I still have to say The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. My brother and I used to play this game religiously, trying our hardest to actually get a good character who could kill everything in the game (and stealing everything that wasn't nailed down, of course). We played it so much that we found every single glitch in the game (no joke) and we even accidentally discovered the cheat codes just by screwing around with the game. But the last time I tried to make a new character I was pretty much bored to tears, since I'd already experienced the glory that is Oblivion.

Umm.... That and the Halo games now. Yes, they were very fun, but when I play them now it's just like "Meh, just another shooter"....except for Halo: Combat Evolved, which still kicks ass.

Shrifes

Jul 4, 2008
I'd have to say Army Men Air Attack, I remember picking it up as a kid for my PS1 and loving it. I found my PS1 and all my old games and the only games I had for it that I would still consider even playable are FF8 and Legend of Dragoon.

I also have to say Star Wars: Battlefront, the second one spoiled me.

Gears of War. I loved it during my first play through at a friends house, when I bought it for myself I just didn't like it.

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
Phantasy Star Online: Episodes 1 + 2 for the gamecube. I used to spend hours playing that game, straight hours, now I fucking hate it. It could be the most repetitive game I have ever played. Seriously.

That and Treasure Mountain, I loved that game when I was six, still have fond memories.... but I don't think I'll ever play it again. Please tell me if you know the game I'm talking about.