Games you Loved, then learned to Hate

Heatseeker

Dec 26, 2007
Darksiders. I've only just stopped playing it recently after I finally realised that it was boring, shallow and completely devoid of sufficient motivation and good characterisation. Once I realise that playing a game feels like more of a chore than fun I stop. People say that it's a combo of Zelda and God of War but in my opinion, it only combines the worst of each

Dedtoo

Aug 28, 2009
Norway
cod:Modern warfare 2.
At first it was fun, and i played it quite a bit, getting slightly annoyed by the health system and the knife.
And then, i joined a game, suddenly was top level and after that i almost stopped playing it.
Without the goal of getting to the top level all purpose was lost.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I think I still like everything I ever did like...
I think if I tried to go back and play Star Wars: Dark Forces, I would have a hard time with it because I don't like the first-person perspective anymore and I can't see that game aging well.

Thats about it.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
Mass Effect 2. I loved it for the first Half an hour and then suddenly realised "this isn't anything like Mass Effect... how is this even a sequel?"
-Tabs<3-
EXACTLY!

Plus I deleted my saves from ME so they auto-chose the bad ending, the exact opposite of what I would have chosen. (Udina is a dick!)

Yagharek

Jun 9, 2010
Call of Duty 4, though this in regards to the multiplayer only, I still think the single player is superb.

The mutliplayer is great. There are only a couple of things that I think could do with being fixed. Sadly the community has gone terribly downhill, and now the majority of times you play 90% of the players(on your team and theirs) with just be quickscoping. Takes the fun out of it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
wow, I played the hell out of that game for awhile till blizz fucked with me and now I use any opportunity to badmouth them as a company, fuck blizzard

NinjaRabies

Mar 26, 2010
Okay I don't really have any games I loved then learned to hate, but I do have the exact oposite. Games I hated but found out "wow. This is kinda good. Actually awesome."

Andrew_Waltfeld

Jan 7, 2011
I am in a bit of a mixed feeling issues with Mass Effect -

Mass Effect 1 - Played to death
Mass Effect 2 - Played thru it twice, didn't like the game overall.

WoW - pretty much same thing as Original Poster - got to level 65, and I was like... WoW this is just... pointless. Didn't help that the entire community is all about high optimization of their classes/I will admit - I made a ton of gold in WoW selling stuff. The Auction House kind-of reminded me of runescape when i was younger. Needless to say - in the end, it didn't really mean anything. I didn't take anything away from it which is a requirement for me.

Hence why I like games such as Fall out 3/NV, Mass Effect, halo etc, there is always something to take away from it.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
DotA, fun at first then you realise how much of a pain in the ass it is.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Mass Effect 2, I don't hate it and it's still fun and still worth it for the incredible writing and characters but after I beat it and the rose colored glasses came off I saw it for what it is, a not quite as good version of ME1 with some liberally mixed in Gears of War.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
I will sheepishly admit that I was once lost down the rabbit hole of Mafia Wars and Farmville, but after taking a step back and realizing both how pointlessly repetitive they are and how evil Zynga is, I managed to halt completely.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Enter the Matrix. I played it when it first came out and loved it and had only fond memories of it for several years. Recently though, like a couple of months back, I saw that my pal had it in his Gamecube collection and asked if I could borrow it for a bit of nostalgia. I didn't even make it through the first level before screaming something about fetid garbage and turning it off. The only thing stopping me from throwing the little, stupid disc out of the window and into the pond was because it wasn't mine, so I threw it at my pal instead.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Halo: Reach

I love Halo and i even bought reach legendary edition because it was bungies last halo, however after a while i soon realised that what bungie had done to halo wasnt all that good, i cant say im a fan of armour abilities especially Armour lock as it plagues games like elite slayer or vehicle based maps. Ive got to give bungie credit for trying, but i hope 343 wont do the same thing with the next halo

MW2

I loved CoD games because of the vast amount of customization you can do to the guns, but i soon learned to hate it because of the amount of stupid over-powered kill streaks like the AC-130, Chopper gunner or the damn nuke. I eventually realised that no matter how long i played it all i managed to get from it was MORE and MORE rage, so eventually i sold it and now CoD games for me are the work of hell

CJMacM

Mar 21, 2010
Fable II
The first time around I enjoyed it but after that it lost its appeal. Every time I played it after that something else bugged me, how messed up your character looks, how annoying the dog gets, getting slow while in the middle of a fight or running, and the "quirky" characters started to get on my nerves.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
GTA4. Started out ok, but the more I played it the more crap it became. The voice acting was just plain annoying (eastern Euro accents are cool for a while, but they get annoying), and there isn't much to do. San Andreas is far far far (to the power of the almighty sideways 8 which I need to learn how to type properly) better in almost everyway.
I don't understand how it got perfect scores, especially in graphics. MGS3 on the PS2 has better character models and more detailed environments than GTA4 (even more confusing is Gran Turismo 5 only got an 8.5 (Scores from IGN) despite being photorealistic fairly often). At most it deserves between a 7 and 8, depending on your tolerance of bad accents.
The expansions apparently add a lot that was already in the game, but later removed (rumored to be because of the 360 version, but I think MS wanted it removed then sold later as exclusive DLC which eventually went to the PS3 after the deal expired).

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
Kingdom Hearts. Go ahead and hate me, but the story sucks.

That, and Dragonage. Something about it pissed me off.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I can think of a few games I was having fun with up until a bunch of bugs and flaws suddenly kicked it in the teeth.

GTA4 and Fable II are the main ones. FFXII as well. I think I'd just be saying things that have already been said to death if I listed what inevitably started pissing me off in those games and made them totally un-fun...

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Modern Warfare 2. I knew the whole time it wasn't as good as MW1, but during my third play through it pissed me off for a myriad of reasons. First it was just tiny things like the M4 looking gay, but then I realised how truly retarded Shepherd's motivation for fuelling the war was, and also Makarovs. People say he would profit from the war, but how? Selling weapons? He needed Alex the Red to supply the assault on the airport. He didn't give a fuck about Russia, killing shitloads of citizens, and somehow he "hated Price more than America". I really don't know how that could be when he's been pretty much non-existent until some time during the 5 years between COD4 and MW2, and Price has supposedly just been in the Gulag that whole time. Also, where the FUCK is England? It's like suddenly the best English troops got recruited by America. Task Force 141 just sounded like another cliche "elite task force". That didn't bother me at first, until suddenly Price comes back, and then when they're talking about being in two places at once, and they're all like "Impossible?" and Price goes "not for the 141" as though he's been a part of it for years, even though he was in the 22nd SAS regiment until the end of COD4 when he got put in the freakin Gulag. My other glaring problem with this game was the fucking dialogue. It's like they're just trying to make it seem epic by giving the characters stupid fucking speeches. ("One bullet to unleash the power of a whole nation, which means..." "He's our ticket to Makarov") That line was so freakin dumb. It's just really annoying the way the characters didn't have realistic dialogue like the used to. Soap's speech about the gulag being filled with "living casualties of a war which ...I swear I thought we'd won" annoyed the shit out of me. Seriously, you can just chuck in some wannabe epic dialogue and still expect it to be good. Shepherd's speeches about history fucked me right off too. I think the best thing to be said about the characters was that they still had amazing voice acting despite the shitty writing. I was stoked that Aaron Peirce off 24 did the voice for overlord.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I would have to say Sonic Adventure 2 I mean at first I liked it and thought it was fun for one play through but my little brother loved it so much that he played it for months without stopping and to this date I get annoyed every time I see that game I just cannot stand it anymore.