Games You Missed Out on But Have No Intention of Playing

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
As the title says, what all games out there have you missed out on, but don't feel like playing at all. By "missed out," I mean after all the hype and discussion for it is dead, or it seems like nobody is talking about it anymore.

For me, it's Pyschonauts. Don't get me wrong, the game looks interesting, but I'm just not feeling it. I mean, you know how whenever a game is brought up and you go "meh" or "ugh"? I don't even feel that, it's just, a blank feeling whenever I see it for sale.

Another one is Gone Home. It has an interesting premise, but I just can't bring myself to buy it. It's not that I don't see it as a game, but I think that I subconsciously sense that the game isn't for me. I don't know, that's how I feel about it.

Capcha: Be serious now. You heard capcha, be serious.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Assassins's Creed Unity
Assassins's Creed Black Flag
Assassins's Creed III
Assassins's Creed Rogue

Yeah playing 1,2, brotherhood and revelations was enough for me thanks.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Spec Ops: The Line is one.

I mean, it's cool that the game did something neat, but I don't care to play it at all. I looked up what flipped everyone's shit, and didn't really bat an eye about missing out.

The Half-Life series in general.

While I do recognize what that game has done for gaming when it came out, I just don't feel compelled to play it. I may or may not be missing out on gaming history, or whatever you want to call it, but I really can't be bothered to see for myself.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ass Creed 4, pre 3 spin-offs, other spin-offs, 5, 6...I've only played the first 3 Ass Creed and I'm only completed the first two. I have absolutely no interest in the rest of the series.

Modern Military shooters in general. Well, not all of them since Blops 2 and Ghosts are both on the Wii U and I'm morbidly curious. Aside from those two I don't see myself calling on any duty in the battlefield to fight wars 2: electric boogaloo.

The Souls games, Bloodbourne, the Xbone Souls game, etc. I have no interest in trying these games at all since the only thing that really appeals to me are the monster designs.

MMO-RPGs in general. Mostly because I don't see the value in subscription-based gaming but also because of a really bad internet connection, I don't have any interest in MMOs and couldn't really play them if I wanted. Like Guild Wars 2 which I would like to play at some point.

Hearthstone...like with MMOs, I can't afford what is essentially virtual crack-cocaine. I've also never had luck with TCGs in the past so there's another reason to pass up on this game.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
A few days ago I would have said Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni because I played the first hour or so and the anime was just better. Then it was released on Steam with updated visuals no less so I bought it on release. I said ages ago that if a VN I really liked was ever up for sale in my own country for a decent price I would buy it even if I already got it elsewhere for free and I am a man of my word. If this sells well, they might even get Umineko No Naku Koro Ni on Steam and that would be awesome.

I might even play it because although i'm far from some visuals are everything guy, if I was then I wouldn't have given any Type Moon game the time of day but the character art in Higurashi was.... Terrible. Honestly awful, go to the Steam page and flick through some screenshots you'll be able to see which are new and which are old immediately. There's no voice acting either, unless they're holding it back for a special plot twist moment. That was a super weird discovery for me since I played through all of Umineko before Higurashi and Umineko was fully voice acted. I suppose their budget for Umineko was a fair bit bigger after the success of Higurashi.

Maybe that's a good thing since I can imagine some scrubs people finding it a bit weird having Japanese voices on Steam or something.

Also what is with Western translators and their butchering of the name? If you absolutely must have it in English just call it When the Higurashi Cry. Just calling it "When They Cry" is pretty bad. Who the fuck are they? Do you mean cry as in tears or cry as in shouting? How much were you guys drinking on the first day of the translation job?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Dragon Age, the entire series has passed me by and I've since come to the realization that BioWare RPGs are kind of crap.

Basically all of Telltale's point and click adventure games.

Five Nights at Freddy's, as an anxious person this is exactly the kind of thing I'll give a pass to.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Halo. For the longest while I was just waiting for the third one to be ported to PC so that I could at least play the first three. Never happened and I lost interest long ago.

Edit: Forgot Star Wars Galaxies. While in the end I didn't care too much about Halo, I was very sad that I missed out on Galaxies. I was a kid when it came out and couldn't afford games like that, and just waited until it would be viable. Then the game was wrecked with an update and pulled down not too long after. It still seems like the most interesting MMO to me and I was very let down with how The Old Republic turned out. That game doesn't know the meaning of role-playing.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Any console exclusives, unless I get some over abundance of money somewhere I will probably miss out on anything that doesn't come to PC which is really sad because I loved God of War (I have a PS2) and would like to at least play through The Last of Us and a few other games.

As for PC games, probably every Assassins Creed from now on. I played 1, 2, Brotherhood & Revelations and own 3 but will probably never play 3 or later. If they ever ditch Uplay or go on sale for super cheap I might get some but other then that I'm gonna let those games go.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Just about everything Nintendo has made since Super Mario 64, not counting the first couple of Pokemon games.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Loads of games, mainly because the only console I own is a WiiU (and a Wii before that, and a GameCube and Xbox before that...) and an old laptop, so there are many series and games I would've liked to play but just couldn't due to hardware restrictions. Lucily I've still tried some of them, or watched other play, at friends places.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Half-life, Mass Effect 1 and 2, any Final Fantasy game, GTA, every indie game ever, not quite dead yet but Witcher 3, Last of Us and every game from 2014.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Some for lack of time and some for lack of interest:
[ul]
[li]Assassin's Creed series[/li]
[li]Call of Duty series[/li]
[li]Battlefield series[/li]
[li]Halo series[/li]
[li]Destiny[/li]
[li]Titanfall[/li]
[li]Ryse: Son of Rome[/li]
[li]Evolve[/li]
[li]GTA V[/li]
[li]Watch_dogs[/li]
[li]Far Cry 3 & 4[/li]
[li]Tomb Raider (the latest one)[/li]
[li]Goat Simulator[/li]
[li]Shadow of the Colossus[/li]
[li]Final Fantasy XII & XIV[/li]
[li]DayZ[/li]
[li]The Order: 1886 (it's recent but I haven't heard much of it lately).[/li]
[/ul]

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
-World of Warcraft(and pretty much every other MMO out there). I've tried a few, but they never hold my interest longer then a month, and when asked to pony up for another month, I've always decided it's not worth it to me.

-The Halo Series. Played the first one, found it really "meh" and haven't bothered with any of the others. It doesn't sound like I missed anything(Though I don't play Multiplayer, so that's likely part of it).

-Gears of War. Never played it and don't really care.

-Five Nights at Freddies series. Was briefly interested, then watched a lets play of the first one and decided that I didn't care enough to try it.

-All of the GTA games after Vice City. Played a little bit of San Andreas(got kicked out of the first major city), stopped at some point and kinda never got back it. 4 sounded more annoying then fun and all of the myriad spin off games doesn't catch my interest. I might try GTA V someday....when it becomes really cheap. Part of the problem is, I discovered Saints Row since then and now everything is going to be compared in my mind to that.

Edited to add:

-Dead Space. Played the first game for about 10 minutes from the beginning(or 10 minutes after the necromorphs start showing up). Didn't find it engaging and not scary in the least. Didn't bother with 2 and considering 3 apparently was crap I didn't bother.

-The FEAR series. Played the first game and the first expansion. Found it all kind of meh in the end, Yathzee said 2 was just a rehash of the first one and 3 apparently was crap so again, didn't bother.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The entire Dead Space trilogy, MineCraft, all the Grand Theft Autos, the 2nd and 3rd FNaFs and every single MMORPG since vanilla WOW.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I'm gonna hop on the way back machine for a minute here and say Planetscape Torment, though really I probably mean all those games of that ilk, so Fallout 1-2 as well.

Everyone and their mother says its amazing. Cant get into it. The gameplay is so archaic that I cant remotely begin to try to understand half of it. Plus for all the take of nuance and story and blah, holy shit are they boring. In Fallout 1 it took me about 2 minutes to kill a simple rat when I first got out of the vault. Hell, I almost died to a rat when I first got out of the vault.

For more recent games probably Witcher 3. It hasn't passed us by yet, but I keep lookin at it and all I can think of was how much I hated Witcher 1 and how little I cared about Witcher 2. Everyones losin their shit over it and I can barely muster the energy about it to shrug. I'm not sure why exactly. Maybe the combat in the older games turned me off, maybe its the setting, maybe Inquisition burned me out on open world fantasy, but I just can't bring myself to care. Its a shame because I could probably like the game if I tried it, but I just can't muster up the energy to care.

Also, probably the Arkham games. Asylum was fun, but even now lookin at that 75% off for Arkham City I'm just not feeling it.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
I'll add my name to the Five Nights at Freddy's crowd. I can watch people play it but I'm not really interested in playing it myself.

Any MMO, notably World of Warcraft. My dad tried REALLY hard to get me into it and I just haven't really cared or found interest in it. I'm not nearly a big enough fan of playing with other people to fully enjoy the mandatory MMO-ness and I wasn't patient enough to wait for the good stuff like a mount or cool armour.

I'm still putting Destiny on this list because I REALLY didn't have any intention on playing it and I still kind of don't but my friend paid for it for me so I'll feel bad if I don't play it at least once through and get achievements

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
PT is the one that immediately spings to mind, though obviously now I've definitely missed my chance at playing it. But whatever, as tragic as its destruction is I was never going to play it. In fact, most horror is in my list of "missed but never going to play anyway". I've played all of 5 minutes of Resident Evil and Resident Evil 4 and a short demo of Silent Hill 3 and that's more than enough for me. Silent Hill 2 might be one of the finest games ever made but it's not for me.