Games you play for the story and almost nothing else

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Recently I got the habit of playing while listening to Podcasts or watching Youtube because some games have bored me recently, but then there where I would never do that, those are the games where I want to see the story, and usually is the only selling point.

Visual novels: self explanatory.

Pok?mon mystery dungeon series: Those gotta be my favorite stories in a video game, sadly the gameplay isn't as memorable or that interesting.

Until Dawn: This game really disappointed me the second time I played it as most of all things I picked didn't change much or anything, but there is something genuine about you-know-who and his struggles to cope with the event at the beggining.

There is also this game I've been wanting to play Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, that was described to me as The Last of Us if Joel was replaced by Goku (no, really), and the gameplay is absolutely nothing to go home about.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Telltales "Insert your favorite IP here"

There is essentially no gameplay (and the gameplay that is there is about as simple as it could possibly be). But that's perfectly fine as long as they keep up the stellar writing. Even the ones that don't have A++ writing (like the Game of Thrones one) are still pretty good. It's one of the few companies whose products I buy before I know anything about the game because I know what I'm getting and I know it's going to be solid at worst and allergy inducing (shut up! Those are my allergies!!!) at its very best.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Spec Ops: The Line

For when I'm not feeling enough of a bad person

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
+1 to Telltale games.

There are other games that I play with story in mind or primarily for the story, but even in those I expect to have at least a little bit of fun with the gameplay.

Telltale games rely 100% on their narrative content. And thus far they haven't disappointed.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Really hope they do another Wolf Among Us. Absolutely loved that for its storytelling and overal tone.

Kinda curious about Until Dawn too. Maybe if it's less than $20 on Amazon or better yet a PS Plus title.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Igor-Rowan said:
There is also this game I've been wanting to play Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, that was described to me as The Last of Us if Joel was replaced by Goku (no, really), and the gameplay is absolutely nothing to go home about.
I've played Enslaved and that is actually a pretty fair description. Just know that by "Goku" they probably meant "Sun Wukong, the Monkey King" aka the character Goku was based on from Journey to the West. Monkey is a LOT more like him. I thought the gameplay was actually pretty fun even if it didn't really do anything particularly innovative or interesting. It also has one of the prettiest post apocalypse settings I've ever seen. The only thing I can think of that comes close is The Last of Us and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

As for the actual topic at hand I'll add another checkmark to the Telltale games. I quite like most of them but they really don't have much in the way of traditional gameplay.

I'll also bring up Fallout 3 and New Vegas. The stories were quite good (what I've played anyway, stalled out halfway through NV due to a busted controller) but the combat mechanics always felt REALLY clunky and unpolished. I can deal with bullet spongy enemies but combat just never felt fun. One thing Bethesda did right that everyone I know can agree on is fixing the combat in FO4. It just feels soooo much better. I still used VATS a lot but I never felt like I NEEDED it as much as I did before.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Mass Effect series, Bioshock Infinite(although the gameplay is excellent, I totally don't have a crush on Elizabeth. Nope. Not at all), most Warhammer games if I'm honest, definitely Silent Hill games, SBCG4AP(the rest of Telltale's games can go suck a lemon! Freaking trend chasers!), KOTOR, Dragon Age, basically anything Bioware, New Vegas/Fallout4/Skyrim, oh and of course the plot heavy Gratuitous Space Battles(seriously yo. Check it out. Excellent time killer).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Asura's Wrath, whenever I want to release the rage and play the best video game version of Taken ever made. Plus, it has an awesome story with the good kind of over-the-topn.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
Deadly Premonition

One of my favourite games ever, with a story that fully grips me. But by god the gameplay is crap, the driving nigh-impossible, and the shooting segments so mind-numbingly boring that I'd rather them be scrapped and just play the story parts.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I played the Dead or Alive fighting games because I wanted to know the story behind Ayane and Kasumi, because I first learned about them from Ninja Gaiden.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
The first time i played deus ex human revolution i was actualy realy digging the story more than anything else, untill you know the latter half of the game...

If i play it again now i just dickaround with the shotgun and the stealth augment.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Point-n-click adventure games and their derivatives (e.g. TellTale, Life is Strange), everything Bioware after DAO, Spec Ops: The Line, the Silent Hill games (though, arguably, these games tend to tell their story through gameplay).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Kentucky Route Zero.

Well, that and the characters, which is pretty much the plot.

Now if only the final episode would drop.....

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Hmm...only thing that fits for me is the Sam & Max games I've played waaaaay back, they weren't very big on gameplay but the goofy story/characters were great. Also voices in games was a new concept back then(wow I sound old) and they were pretty good for their time. Sadly I don't seem to find these type of games as fun anymore but least they make for fond memories.