Games you play for the story and almost nothing else

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Adventure games (pretty much all of LucasArts' repertoire). If story includes characterization, Mass Effect series, Final Fantasy series, SOMA.

Nov 28, 2007
Another one for Telltale Games. Those games, for me, are either good because of the story, or bad because of the story. The gameplay does not factor into it at all, because there really is no gameplay. I mean, QTEs, but that's just about it. The rest is just point-and-click.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I enjoyed TWD Season 1 and The Wolf Among Us, even if TWD Season 2 and Game of Thrones both left me disappointed in the same way of "nothing I did mattered, did it?"

ETA: That said, while I wouldn't say the gameplay is irrelevant, Mass Effect is my personal favorite game trilogy purely based on the strength of the characters in the series, so you could argue that my love for the series is based on story.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
CoCage said:
Asura's Wrath, whenever I want to release the rage and play the best video game version of Taken ever made. Plus, it has an awesome story with the good kind of over-the-topn.
Yeah Asura's Wrath is a really damn solid anime. Definitely an underrated gem.

OT: Obviously VNs but G-Senjo no Maou in particular. Most other VNs I would go back and check every other route once I finished the route I was most interested in first but in G-Senjo that's just wrong. Any other route aside from Haru's is a filthy lie. It's not a bad thing though since Haru is Based Girl regardless.

It's a mystery story where picking any other route drops the mystery story on its head entirely so why even try other routes? Though I did check Shiratori's route for an hour or two and I think the most ridiculous choice i've ever seen popped up.

A. Rape Shiratori
B. Be a decent human being and don't rape Shiratori

I guess the other routes check in on Kyousuke's rampant sociopathic issues huh?

Non VNs are tricky since I place more emphasis on gameplay than I used to. I guess maybe Blazblue CSEX? The one that's 3 titles back from the newest Blazblue. The gameplay is pretty bad now that you have comparison to the newer games but the story mode in that version is definitely my favourite. Absolutely every character gets their time in the spotlight and the story can go in some crazy directions because of the "just another possibility of the Continuum Shift" excuse.

Like you've got Hazama catching Trinity out and effectively removing her from the story in that timeline before she can do anything, which would make Terumi's life in the next game hella easy. Tager (fuck Tager) getting destroyed entirely and absorbed into Ignis to create Ignis 2.0 and some other "the bad guys won lol" endings, some of which were genuinely chilling. Often thanks to creepy uncle Relius.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
If I do try and play them again, it is infinity engine? games like Baldurs Gate and Planescape Torment.

To people saying Kotor and Mass Effect, I actually really enjoy the gameplay in those. It feels good to force lightning entire groups to death, or shotgun a mofo, lift his buddy, shotgun the next mofo, then kill the lifted dude.
Maybe Bioshock, but I do kinda like it's gameplay as well.

Hmmm, actually maybe Kotor, Mass Effect, and Bioshock count because I usually want to play them to experience the story again. Not that the gameplay is bad though.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Brothers Tale of Two Sons for me. The game was challenging at times, having to handle two characters at once, but even the challenge didn't feel that fun, probably because checkpoints were so plentiful that I didn't feel there were any stakes.

One the other hand, the mechanics and presentation got me really invested in the characters and their relationship and I was bawling like a baby at the end of it all.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Xenosaga Episode 1 and 2. Because the gameplay wasn't worth shite, especially in EP 2 (What happened to Inventory and Gear Monolith? Oh you had to cut it, right because who cares about character builds anyway...). EP 3 did at least acknowledge that some players wanted to have the tiniest sense of Agency...

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Another vote for Telltale's games. I do really, really, REALLY hope they decide to expand on the gameplay at some point. They have an amazing talent for storytelling, if they could match it with equal quality gameplay, their games could be truly special.

I think Life is Strange showed an obvious way that Telltale could improve. Just let me walk around the environment and interact with objects and NPCs, so that I can learn more about the world and its characters. When Telltale include walking around sections, they're basically pointless. "character picks up object, stares silently at it for 5 seconds, then puts it back down" is not gameplay and serves no purpose.

Plus considering how many of Telltale's games include combat, a proper combat system instead of QTEs, would be another nice improvement.

Obviously I'm talking perfect world scenario, no financial issues restricting development, etc.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
I mean the obvious answers are point n click games and walking simulators since they're almost entirely story focused. That said there's also older games where my main motivation to play them would be the story rather than gameplay (because some games haven't aged well) like the original Deus Ex, FF7, or Morrowind. That said the sheer clunkiness of controls/ mechanics has put me off playing any of those games through all the way through so even then the story's not enough to make me want to play.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Dragon Age: Origins. In fact, I cared so little for the gameplay that it was ultimately what stopped me from finishing it. Whixh really blows too because I LOVED the universe and story of DA:O.

The Stanley Parable. Kind of.

Undertale. I reeeeally don't like bullet hell games.

MiskWisk said:
Monster Girl Quest.

I am definitely not lying.
You purposefully failed almost every battle, didn't you.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Quellist said:
Xenosaga Episode 1 and 2. Because the gameplay wasn't worth shite, especially in EP 2 (What happened to Inventory and Gear Monolith? Oh you had to cut it, right because who cares about character builds anyway...). EP 3 did at least acknowledge that some players wanted to have the tiniest sense of Agency...
Episode 3 had the best turn based mech combat I have ever seen

Too bad it was too easy most of the time

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
4x and RTS games. It's not story in the way most people think of story, but I find the narrative that builds up around the systems very interesting.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
+1 for Life is Strange

Also the Talos Principle. I really don't care much for physics puzzle games, but damn if I didn't enjoy the story and atmosphere of Talos Principle. Same could be said for Portal I guess.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Yup, 9 votes for Telltale including mine. If the writers there ever go on strike, that company is going to sink.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
+1 for Life is Strange

Also the Talos Principle. I really don't care much for physics puzzle games, but damn if I didn't enjoy the story and atmosphere of Talos Principle. Same could be said for Portal I guess.
Oh yeah, one more vote for the Talos Principle from me. I don't dislike puzzle games, but from some point on puzzles in that game became a matter of reflexes more than anything else.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Marik2 said:
Quellist said:
Episode 3 had the best turn based mech combat I have ever seen

Too bad it was too easy most of the time
Oh granted. Episode 3 was the best by far and combat both in and out of mechs was fun too. My worst problem with 3 was half the time i didn't see the point of boss battles...for example when Voyager is trying to steal Kos Mos you see a cutscene of him shrugging off everything like he's not even under attack, have a fight with him where you knock him down several times and kick his ass then its back to a cutscene where from his reactions he might as well have just swatted you away and carried on. That got pretty depressing