Games you sincerely wished you could enjoy, but just couldn't get into them

Mar 20, 2010
Dragon Age origins.. i mean every single around me loved it but i couldnt get into it. but i played the dragon age 2 demo and i liked it. so yeah

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Morrowind... Oblivion... Fallout 3... I know it makes me sound like I just have a problem with Bathesda but I don't...

just always felt like the gameplay was bordering on broken, the world felt uninspired and it was draining to play more than a half an hour at a time, it was paced like ass, though the story might have been pretty good I just couldn't bring myself to care... also it was probably one of the most un-user friendly games I've ever played even worse than older RPGs like Baldur's Gate and Planescape...

Well I didn't hate Oblivion, but there is enough to complain about there's the basic stuff like the AI being stupid, the environments being repetitive, the physics being wonky and being all round buggy, but than came the fact that it couldn't keep me guided on main mission, which isn't a problem with the game but with the genre I just felt like I was being side tracked the entire time. though, mind you I never finished... though after playing it I didn't hate it, it was just disappointing

it's really something I wanted to like a whole lot... it really is... an FPRPG set in a post nuclear apocalypse America based off of the pulp scifi of the 1950's... that sounds awesome but when it came down to it I just didn't have much fun... though I was rather amazed by the setting to start with but that quickly faded when I started exploring and found it to be one of the most boring games to explore... the gameplay never felt broken like Morrowind it just felt awkward and not awkward in the Deus Ex sense where it was because it was being balanced with the RPG elements but awkward just for the sake of being awkward, next the inventory system was... well it wasn't terrible but wasn't exactly good, you could get the job done with a bit of a hassle... next the RPG elements never felt like they blended too well with the gameplay... you know how in Deus Ex the statistics of you're accuracy is shown by the GUI which in term is affected by you're distance to the target and basic percentage of hit to miss ratio... In Fallout 3, well as far as I remember it's been a while since I played, it isn't put in any basic sense that the player can understand just by looking at the screen you have to use action points to go into turn based mode and see the percentage of you're accuracy and let the game take aim and fire for you, it never felt like it was part of the gameplay to me just a get out of screw up free card... also stealth was a problem for me mostly because there was little tension it just felt like another percentage I get to look at... if that makes any sense...
/poorly written rant...
/I'm too lazy edit...

Kyougi Ryu

Aug 16, 2010
Monkey Island. It's more of a technical thing. I do enjoy the writing, the dialog, the music and all that jazz, but the SCUMM interface just drives me up the wall. I can't play the game for more then 20 or 30 minutes at a time without getting annoyed by the interface and quitting.

Broken Boy

Apr 10, 2010
Red Dead: Well this is going to sound shallow but the lack of being able to choose my gender bugs me in most games... I know that gender choosing can't always be in games but still I like to put myself into the game sort of speak. I did play the multi for a bit it was kool.

Fallout New Vegas: I stuck it out till the end because I love most the Fallout series. It just failed to live up to what I expect from anyone making a Fallout game. I find it hard to figure out which I dislike more New Vegas or Fallout for the first xbox.

Inquisitor Slayde

Jan 17, 2009
Red Dead Redemption.

I was pretty excited for it when I picked it up but when I finally played it I was pretty disappointed. The Zero Punctuation review of it covered most of my complaints with the addition I didn't think it was that well written.

I've gone back to it three times to try to get into it but it just hasn't happened. Even after I got out of Mexico.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
That Dragon Age 2 demo. I want to like it, I really do. But after 5 minutes I quit and uninstalled it.

Crumpster

Mar 6, 2011
Mass Effect 2 (haven't tried the first one). Graphics, story and everything is just awesome etc. My problem is when I start shooting, it feels as though I'm not hitting anything! Even though their healthbars are decreasing.

Batman: Arkham Asylum. Just too clumsy. I always get a feeling that I'm the most agile brick ever to have lived, but that's still really, really bad

psivamp

Jan 7, 2010
SwimmingRock said:
Portal. I only finished it because it was short and easy, so I breezed through it in one sitting. It never actually made me care, though. Also, the 'dark humour' that most people claim sets it apart was just bland and predictable. I wish I understood why this game is revered as some kind of high point in gaming when it was so mediocre in every possible way. Seriously, why would you make an easy puzzle game? Who wants that? What the hell does it accomplish? Puzzles are supposed to be challenging, dammit!
You could try the challenge modes where you try to beat the later levels using as few portals as possible or by taking the fewest steps possible.

OT: Dragon Age - I felt like it was hyped up to be the successor to Baldur's Gate and it just flopped for me.
Mass Effect 1 - I don't actually remember why.
Red Dead Redemption - I just got bored.
Dead Rising 2 - I wanted to goof off more than it allowed time for in the story mode, but didn't want to completely lose the story either, also I hate bosses with their massive health bars...

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
psivamp said:
SwimmingRock said:
Portal. I only finished it because it was short and easy, so I breezed through it in one sitting. It never actually made me care, though. Also, the 'dark humour' that most people claim sets it apart was just bland and predictable. I wish I understood why this game is revered as some kind of high point in gaming when it was so mediocre in every possible way. Seriously, why would you make an easy puzzle game? Who wants that? What the hell does it accomplish? Puzzles are supposed to be challenging, dammit!
You could try the challenge modes where you try to beat the later levels using as few portals as possible or by taking the fewest steps possible.
Theoretically, I could, yes. But in order to bother reinstalling Portal, I would have to care, which I don't. I appreciate that you mean well, though.

Save us.A7X

Apr 15, 2009
American McGee's Alice, I tried so hard to like it for the visuals and setting but the gameplay was just awful to me. Luckily it seems there's been much improvement in gameplay for the sequel. =)

Jeg Karim

Mar 6, 2011
Bioshock 2 i didnt really get into it.. i started kinda like not giving a shit about anything and it didnt have .. cutscenes almost.. maybe beginning and commercials.. thats the only cutscenes and the ending and u know what? it had weird combat i got too mcuh heaalth and eve i tried wasting eve so i can take that one and u know what happend often? FulL AMMO
WALLET FULL low on health no first aid kits or too many.. ugh.. and the big sister is kinda easy when u got rocket launcher and elenaore

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
Mass Effect
Morrowind
Dragon Age
Fallout 1 and 2

Somthing about all of them that just can't keep me interested.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Fallout 3.

I really wanted to like it. Awesome setting and great aesthetics.

But I found the gameplay shallow and boring. It's either a simplistic RPG or a clunky and repetitive shooter. The environments are copy-pasted to hell and back. The story just sort of peters out. Overall, the whole thing just feels horribly unfocused.

It's basically become that-really-long-game-that-I-fall-back-on-whenever-I-don't-have-anything-good-to-play.

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
Uncharted 2.
So many good reviews and recommendations. It was so pretty and the characters were great! I wanted to love it so badly, but the gameplay didn't work out for me :/ Not quite sure why. It just didn't "click."

Edit: GRAMMAR NAZI.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Oh Borderlands, I tried so hard, I waited so long to try you, then BOOM I couldn't even play longer than two days. And to think I thought everything was going to be okay due to that kickass opening.

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
Half life 2. Don't know why, but I play it and I'm like "why do people love this so much?" I really just can't get into it.