Games you stopped playing

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
For some reason I just sort of stopped playing GTA5 and Dishonored. I'm not sure why because I really like both, a lot even.
Casual Shinji said:
I also never finished Bioshock Infinite because of the incessantly limp shooting
I hear this more often, I never really got why. The weapons got some definite kick to them and the sound effects and animations make them all sound appropriately less/more weighty. Enemies seem to react appropriately to being hit too with solid impact animations.

Regardless though, the crank gun is the most satisfying gun I have ever used in any FPS, because god damn those sound effects. With the gear-y animations and spinning up sound and that hefty BRATATATA going on. So tasty. Shame it never lasted that long.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Probably Skyrim.

I just keep getting too distracted and eventually get overwhelmed by the sheer size of it. It's happened five times now.
Don't feel bad. I've created over 100 characters in Skyrim with exactly 0 playthroughs that lasted more than 1/4 of the game's main story. I've explored a lot, but always end up with re-rolling a character at some point. I've made it to the shout training area a grand total of 1 time... Part of this is because I keep adding mods, part of it because I think I enjoy making characters more than actually playing them. I may one day get around to finishing the game... if I can keep from restarting the damn thing.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Not too long ago I was enjoying Bioshock 2, but something about the movement and combat eventually got to me and I started finding it tedious. Also, some of the bugs I encountered didn't help.

Recently I quit Sacrifice because it was getting on my nerves. I really wanted to continue it too because I really liked the characters and how the story unfolds, but I really got sick of how cluttered your screen becomes with all the units you can't select, or how the hero's can spawn back and summon everything so quickly, or how my soul collectors decided to go the long way back to my sacrificial pit, right through the enemy base! etc.

Maybe I'll come back to it when I find a whole lot of mods to fix those issues, because it's just a mess.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
StreamerDarkly said:
Lufia Erim said:
Wait how is that not challenging? I mean you are now faced with enemies you can't kill so you have to develop a new plan or strategy to get around it. Isn't that meaning of challenge? It sounds to me like you are doing the same thing every time and being surprised when it continuously fails. Try something different. Now if you say you think it's cheap that may be a different story.

OT: i usually finish games i start. Outside of strategy games i usually don't have a problem finishing games. The last game i just stopped playing was bloodborn. I got to the final boss and just got kind of distracted.
You accuse the original poster of failing to change tactics and eventually dodging the challenge, and then claim you just "got distracted" on the final boss and didn't bother returning to Bloodborne? This comes across as just a tad hypocritical.

I'll assume you're talking about Gehrman instead of Moon Presence as the final boss. I urge you not to lose heart - go farm 20 more vials and give it another go. He's not a pushover in the least, especially with that cheap AoE attack from the sky. If you've mostly avoided parrying the entire game, now would be a good time to learn.

On the topic of very-challenging-but-not-in-a-good-way parts of games, Frigid Outskirts in the Dark Souls 2 DLC is an area that a pissed a lot of people off and caused them not to finish. Getting to the boss fight is possibly harder than the fight itself.
Got distracted by other games. I didnt lose to the boss because i was distracted. I lost to the boss because i dont know how to riposte. Any other easy questions?

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Callate said:
I was making pretty good headway in Hotline Miami 2. Sure, I was dying a lot, but that was the nature of the beast. Yes, my more successful stages were in the C to C+ range; still, I was making progress.

Then I got to a level (some of you may be familiar) in which you're forced to play as a character who can only punch. And while his punch is lethal to most enemies, there are tougher characters who you can only temporarily knock out. And as always, one hit from anyone is pretty much enough to take you down, so those bad boys are going to keep getting up and coming after you over and over again until you miscue your timing slightly and start the whole level over one... more... time.

I just stopped. I said, "You know what? There's nothing fun about this in any way, shape, or form. This isn't 'challenging'; this is the developer trying my patience, seeing how much abuse I'll accept in the hope that something fun is around the corner. Congratulations, dev: I've reached my limit."
The Big Thug enemies in Hotline Miami 2 were so cheap and frustrating, you can't outrun them or use a melee weapon to take them down, only a bullet will bring them down. So you're forced to either take the punching character whom lacks any ranged attacks (forcing you to bait gun enemies) or hope you got a gun with a bullet in it when you face them. Its the worst in the Beard Flashback levels, where the game is so stingy with ammo that in later levels you need to save all your ammo just so that you can stand a chance against the Big Thugs.

The only levels I really remember fondly were the earlier levels, which had less BS and okay sized maps, and any level with the fans, that way I could pick the Twins, Alex and Ash, they were so much fun to play as having the ability to shoot and face melee enemies, I actually felt like a glass cannon, deadly and powerful but you still fragile and weak at the same time, the way I should feel when playing Hotline Miami. Really wish I could play any level with them as a bonus for beating the game.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
vadic said:
Destiny, after a few weeks of playing on-and-off. I feel like there was little to no effort made to engage the player in the story. It felt like playing Halo in a baron wasteland full of uninteresting alien monsters. I know I probably didn't give it enough time to get better and deeper into the story, but lately I've been so ADD that if I'm not hooked from the get-go, there's a good chance I'll lose interest.
You are not alone, and sadly you are wrong about the story getting better. I got Destiny for free with my PS4, but so many of my friends kept saying that I wouldn't like it. They all know full well that story is my main driving force in a game. I figured it couldn't be that bad, but when I unlocked Venus and still had bare interest in the game, I knew there was a problem. I asked my friends, some who have been playing since launch, and they all said that the main story just isn't there. The DLCs are apparently really good and fix that, but I'm not going to buy DLC for a game that I find extremely boring.

So, Destiny is one game.

Bayonetta, because I got to that demon train thing in outer space, where the boss battle suddenly becomes all about ranged fighting, and I just straight rage quit the game.

Street Fighter IV. Screw you Seth. Screw. You.

Bloodrayne Betrayal. Too hard for me.

And finally, some sort of PS3 store game. The world had been consumed by a dust storm, and you were trying to get back to your family. I got to this one part where it said that if you killed the strongest opponent, the weaker ones would surrender right away. There were three guys, all of them looked the same, and you had one bullet. I replayed that part over and over, shooting each guy so that he died, but the other two always rushed to attack me and killed me. I got so ticked that I quit and deleted it from my PS3.

mrwednesday

Mar 6, 2015
Shadow of the Colossus. It seems to be on so many people's short list of favorite games of all time but I was completely and utterly bored with it. After taking down the fourth colossus I just put it down.

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
I will never understand people who never finish games they claim to love. The only games I've ever not finished are the ones I knew I'd hate within 30 minutes of starting them. Ever game I've loved I've played to completion, and some of them I went as far as to unlock every achievement as well.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Now, let's see...
1) I dropped Limbo being too disgusted by concepts and imagery thrown in combined with gameplay difficulty based purely on predicting natural players reaction and setting up traps at those points.
2) I dropped Batman Archam Asylum because I started falling asleep
3) I dropped Call of Duty (first one) for the same reason, and never ever was interested in the series again. Also, from what I saw COD1 was the best.
4) I dropped HoMMVI because it was plain horrible and I really, really blame myself for spending money on it
5) Then I dropped Might and Magic X because it was shit (also I dropped Might and Magic franchise at this point)
6) I dropped playing Robocraft when they anaged to make respawn mode BORING
7) I dropped Mass Effect 3 somewhere around third or fourth hour of gameplay when I understood that this game has storyline even worse then Tetris has
8) I dropped Majesty 2 because it had no spirit or soul of Majesty 1

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
I do think the thread should be limited to games that actually have an ending, because, eventually, we all tend to quit playing open ended and/or multiplayer games like MMO's, Destiny, TF2, etc. Also rogue-likes, since they are really made to be played infinitely.

I usually make it a point to push through games once I start, but, that said, I have had a few games that I felt were too bad or boring to finish. Some of these are:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advance Warfighter, Xbox 360: Just bad. Bad. Bad.
Splinter Cell: Conviction, Xbox 360: Too scripted. Too boring.
Alice: The Madness Returns, PC: Overstayed it's welcome. 20+ hours in, less than halfway and repetitive mechanics.

The big ones for me that are relevant to the thread though:

*The Witcher 2, PC: Gorgeous game. Generally good stability. Loved The Witcher 1. Have played TW2 to between 8 and 20 hours a couple times but always stop. I really have to say that I actively dislike this game. Whereas TW1 had silly combat mechanics, I feel like TW2s are just sloppy. I know a lot of people love it, but it feels floaty and unresponsive compared to what I consider "tight" action games (Souls games) or "fast" action games (DMC, Bayonetta, etc). When one of the games devs feels the need to make a huge mod to "fix" the combat, that says a lot. Also, the potion mechanic in that game is just silly (yes, I understand *why* it was made that way, in response to the books; that doesn't mean I have to agree with it or like it).

I also can't stand the characters and find the story not-particularly compelling. The human/scoi'tael thing doesn't work for me because both sides are consistently monstrous. The characters are bland or just plain jerks and, whereas I could completely get along with Geralt in TW1, since he was a loner and sleeping around was fine, it feels uncomfortable for him to be hitting on/sleeping with everything he meets when the game strongly suggests he has developed some form of relationship with Triss. I realize that he probably doesn't feel that it's that way, but it is certainly suggested that Triss does, so it just comes off as unpleasant to me.

I try to stay pretty far away from GG and the whole sexism thing as well, since I don't consider objectification or "damsel in distress" to be inherently sexist, bad for games, or bad at all. I've very rarely ever seen something in a game that I thought was actually full on sexist, but TW2 was one of the only games that made me feel that way, though it had nothing to do with Geralt's promiscuity or the prevalence of sexuality in the game. Instead, it was the treatment of two female characters in Flotsam. Primarily it was related to the character Ves and the mission to take down the mayor. She was to pose as a prostitute (fine, no biggie) and open the window to let Geralt in. However, we've already gone from the beginning of the game being told that Ves is pretty much a badass secret police agent/soldier and I was wondering why, if she gets the mayor alone does she 1) need Geralt at all, frankly and 2) why, even given that, she would allow herself to be chained to a wall half-naked and potentially abused and raped? It felt very, very contrived and "hey look, a girl is about to be abused, better save her!" I hated that scene. I also thought it was lame the way it was generally suggested Triss was kidnapped. Again, we're told Triss is one of the most powerful enchantresses in the world and while I accept her being kidnapped by the villain character at the time, it seems to have gone off almost completely without a fight, almost like she just fainted at the sight of adversity. The signs or suggestions of any actual struggle on her part were minimal, which seems to defy the character they wanted to paint her as. I didn't care for it.

I've pretty much given up on the Witcher as a series after that, realizing that the story is just not my taste. I still fully respect and support CD Project though. I think they are generally a fantastic company.

*Divinity: Original Sin: I'm a huge fan of RPGs, particularly the top down/semi-isometric story driven ones in the Infinite Engine style. However, I've tried to play D:OS 3 times (once with my wife) and I have never made it past around the two hour mark. I know that a lot of people say that the first 5-10 hours are a real slow burn and the game gets hugely better after leaving the town, but the game starts with such a lack of a hook or real motivation that I feel like I'm just aimlessly wandering around talking to poeple.

One day, I'll decide to push my way through it, but I'm playing Pillars of Eternity at the moment, so I don't know when that will be.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Couldn't even begin to count how many playthroughs I've had of Skyrim without finishing it. I don't think I ever will. Forever more will every character I've ever rolled up remain in sidequest limbo.

Watch_Dogs. Picked it up on release, played for 6 hours and never touched it again. I kept hoping it would get better, but it never did.

Alarien

Feb 9, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
For some reason I just sort of stopped playing GTA5 and Dishonored. I'm not sure why because I really like both, a lot even.
Casual Shinji said:
I also never finished Bioshock Infinite because of the incessantly limp shooting
I hear this more often, I never really got why. The weapons got some definite kick to them and the sound effects and animations make them all sound appropriately less/more weighty. Enemies seem to react appropriately to being hit too with solid impact animations.

Regardless though, the crank gun is the most satisfying gun I have ever used in any FPS, because god damn those sound effects. With the gear-y animations and spinning up sound and that hefty BRATATATA going on. So tasty. Shame it never lasted that long.
I do get the argument. As much as I loved Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, I felt like the shooting was generally unsatisfying. If I'm playing a shooter, I like to feel a bit more punch from it, like Wolfenstein: TNO. That said, I enjoyed both games for the other mechanics and story.

Still, I think if you play Infinite through to the point where you can get Charge and the big magnum pistol, the game gets stupidly fun quick with the right gear. Bouncing on and off rails and charging into every enemy, followed with a melee and magnum to the face can be extremely satisfying. I found that way a lot more fun to play than relying on most of the "magic attack" vigors and the default shooty weapons like the smg and shotgun types.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Mentioned already, but Red Dead Redemption. I played about 10 hours into the storyline and didn't feel like I was making 1 iota of actual progress in the story. Even Witcher 3 isn't that slow, and that game is ridiculously huge. It also doesn't help that the game doesn't really have any sort of upgrade system for your character, so it wasn't like I could just chase leveling up while killing time.

Path of Exile. I really, really liked this game, and I played it until the latter half of the 3rd act, but the game just became too damn frustrating at that point. I'd run into named enemies (not even bosses, mind you) who could regenerate health so fast they were literally unkillable by my character. Not wanting to basically have to restart the game all over again to make a better character, I just gave up.

South Park: The Stick of Truth: I loved this game, I thought it was hysterical and I'm a big South Park fan, but I made it about 75% of the way through the game, and then accidentally saved over my game when I created a new character. After that, I couldn't bring myself to go back and play through it again since most of the jokes wouldn't be fresh now.

System Shock 2: Somewhat similar to Path of Exile. I could see why people loved this game so much: it was creepy as hell, had an intriguing story that you really wanted to learn more about, and genuinely felt like true 'survival horror'. But the murderous difficulty, levels that I constantly got lost in, and respawning enemies just killed my desire to keep going, it was just too frustrating.

Kingdoms of Amalur: I actually loved the mechanicis of this game, and a lot of the aesthetic, but it just got boring very quickly, and the plot was just nonsensical rambling about destiny that I had no clue what they were talking about.

Tomb Raider (the reboot): I just got bored with it. It probably didn't help that I've never really liked Tomb Raider.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I put several hours in to FarCry 2 when it came out. Tried exploring the land, blasting away at the baddies, listening in to the characters due to my fondness for the cheesy as hell first game. I don't think it's as bad as some people will have you know, but I think the game did become incredibly monotonous towards the end. I didn't feel like returning to it, I felt a bit bad about never finishing it. My Dad did manage to finish it. No spoilers, but both endings are just not good.

To be fair, I just don't like that the sequels don't resemble in the first one in any way, which is my favourite game.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I've stopped playing many games for one reason or another, but the biggest offender is probably the Halo series. The last time I played Halo 4 was probably the single worst day I've ever had with multiplayer. I was playing with a few others from the Escapist, hoping to have some fun, but what we got was nothing short of bullshit. Every match was against guys who played nothing but Halo and whatever game type we'd chosen and every match was a loss. No matter what we tried these guys were one step ahead of us so we couldn't do anything. I was already in a bad mood when we ended up getting matched against a group of guys who were actually cheating. The game type was supposed to give us random weapons every time we respawned, but I'll be damned if they weren't constantly getting all the strongest weapons in the game while we were only getting small rifles and such. To top it off, there were several instances where one of us hit the with something that should have killed them several times, but they would just kill us, pick up the weapon, and proceed to slaughter us with it. After about six or seven minutes of this bullshit I was fumingly pissed off and was indefinitely planning on getting off as soon as that shitty excuse for a match was over. However, my Xbox beat me too it and froze mid match. I'm the type of guy who hates quitting out of a match unless it's clear that the enemy team is cheating up a storm and I have no reason to remain in there or if something really important pops up IRL so the fact that my Xbox froze on me mid match added to the absolutely terrible ti.e I'd been having meant that I was absolutely furious. Hell, it's a miracle that I didn't chuck my controller into the TV or wall at that point. Suffice to say that I have had zero desire to play any of the Halos for a long time.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Skyrim - After about 30 hours I just got bored and haven't gone back since.I'll more than likely pick it up again at some point though because the exact same thing happened to me with Oblivion.I got bored and stopped playing but when I eventually went back I ended up putting in well over 100 hours into it

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I keep swearing off Hearthstone every time I play it. GVG has had so many bad knock on effects at this point. Too many cards make aggro ridiculously effective, Dr Boom alone forces everyone to run at least one BGH in their decks so if you wanted to play some cool 9 drops good fucking luck because it's getting BGH'd immediately and i've realised that the cards I like in GVG I only like them because they are really good at combating aggro. AKA if aggro wasn't so dominant, they'd be average to bad and i'd probably just gloss over them.

The final straw is just how much RNG is in the game now. Basically I'm switching to Yugioh and Infinity Wars, both far better digital CCGs (yes I know YGH isn't actually a digital TCG but I only play it online so same thing) because Piloted Shredder is cancer. I hope it drops a Doomsayer on your full board forever.

I kinda wish i'd stopped playing Bioshock Infinite like some others in the thread now. I was hoping for the ending to be good but no... No it was just bad... So bad... as in like, its attempt at being clever with alternate universe time travel is defeated by the game's title. "Infinite"

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Far Cry 3 - I got sick to my stomach having to murder all those pitbulls (I have one myself and they are NOTHING like entertainment media largely portrays them).

Bioshock - Most "iconic" games that define gaming mechanics and storytelling techniques are games that simply do NOT age well. I played it back when it first came out and remember being blown away, but playing it recently left me severely underwhelmed after all games have done to advance the medium since then.

Half-Life - same reason as bioshock

Batman: Arkham City - I'm overwhelmed by what's in the game, it makes me feel like I'm always missing something no matter what I do. I also feel I'm Batmanning wrong.

Resident Evil 4 - It's just terrible by modern standards.

The Witcher 2 - same as Batman: Arkham City, there is so much going on in the game I feel like I'm missing something crucial to my progression no matter which way I turn.

GTA 4 - I JUST GET FUCKING BORED.

Postal 3 - I shouldn't even need to explain.

Bastion - Just not interesting enough.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood/Revelations - They just seem like a waste of time.

Binary Domain - Boring.

Bully - I beat it back when it came out, now it's just subpar by today's standards

Dark Souls - There's just too much going on for me to want to continue.

Call of Duty 4 - no controller support on PC. The controls give me carpal tunnel.

Darksiders 2 - It's boring compared to 1.

The Darkness 2 - Seems like a subpar Bulletstorm

Dead Rising 3 - Waiting on a new graphics card to play this.

Dragon Age: Inquisition - The graphics give me a headache. I don't know what's wrong with them but it seems shiny and blurry at the same time.

Crysis - it really is just a tech demo

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - I get super into the intro, and then I feel like if I don't do things a certain way, I am going to miss out on content. Call me crazy but when I play a game, I want to experience ALL the content in one go.

The list gets too ridiculously long.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
I found this thread literally 20 minutes after I gave up on Dead State. Played it for 11 hours since I bought it in the recent steam sale, but I just can't go on. I'm just bored. I like turn based combat systems (Xcom, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2, Age of Wonders 3, probably some others) but Dead State has no tactical depth. Those other games have lots of types of enemies with different abilities but Dead State is basically zombie (melee), Human (melee), Human (gun).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Casual Shinji said:

Different strokes, I guess.

The guns to me just felt like hoses, and the enemies didn't react one bit to getting shot untill they soaked up enough damage, at which point they'd just fall over. The first Bioshock had the same issue, but atleast that game wasn't just one long shooting gallery.