Games you stopped playing

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
I'm sure I'm not a rarity but, Dark Souls. I've played difficult games before and usually I know where I went wrong and theres some level of progress. Not here. Everything's just cheap and counter intuitive in design.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Loads but most I tend to just drift out of but there have been a few I have put down with the intention never to return some of the more notable ones I can remember have been:_

GTA3 - played for about 20 hours in the hopes it engaged me in some way but it never did and I did not want to try anymore.

The Last Remnant - same as above I played this even longer prob put about 40 -60 hours into it but uggh its a friggin horrid game and in the end I just had enough.

Burnout 3 - Ridiculously cheating AI just made me put it down. I slammed the last car into a wall on the last straight after it had taken me all race to recover from a smash on the first lap of elimination but I had caught up destroyed him and was in a straight line to the finish line with boost fully engaged next thing I know the car I had just destroyed pulls up next to me when I am going as fast as it is possible for my car to go in the game and nudges me into the wall then wins the race. Dont think I have ever seen a game cheat so blatantly even on fighting game bosses.

Final Fantasy Tactics advance - got 40 hours in utterly bored every step of the way and despised the combat. People have said the PS version is better so mean to try that.

Halo 3 - I just gave up I did not play very long but after playing and loving Halo 2 I was so hype for this and it disappointed on every level for me. I just found it utterly unsatisfying and it sort of killed the series for me.

Destiny - played for over 50 hours because of friends but jeez god what an awful tedious game we just called it quits in the end. Even with it being the only game we could all play together it was not enough to keep our attention, without friends I would have dropped this game in hours.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Shadowstar38 said:
I'm sure I'm not a rarity but, Dark Souls. I've played difficult games before and usually I know where I went wrong and theres some level of progress. Not here. Everything's just cheap and counter intuitive in design.
Add Dark Souls to my post. I've tried Dark Souls several times, each attempt getting further than the last and spending quite a few hours on them over a few days period. Despite generally enjoying myself when playing, I just lose interest. When I return, I have to start fresh because I feel like I've distanced myself from the last attempt.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
In light of my recent thread that's sort of like this... Suikoden. It's got some fantastic ideas. Others are ok. Its execution? Really bad. I get it's Konami's first attempt in the series. But I liked Grandia more than this one, and that's a first in its series as well. I just wish it told its story a bit better. I might have been able to forgive the rest of the mess if that were the case. Suikoden 2? Good god, amazing stuff. I love it. Much better~

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Resident Evil 6.
Because it sucks, shocking.
Probably still gonna finish it once RE7's announced but not until then.

Oct 22, 2011
Morrowind, Fallout 3, Mother. Fucking. Skyrim. - you see a patern here?

Splinter Cell Double Agent(PC) - i was a huge fan of SC franchise up until this port, i still wanted to play through it before starting with Conviction but then i've encountered a game breaking bug - the last straw that killed not only this game, but the interest in entire series for me.

PoP Forgotten Sands - kinda similar situation as above: game breaking bug, beloved series, Ubi... port itself wasn't bad, though. Just not good enough to begin everything from the start.

Far Cry 2 - it was just getting tedious and dull.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Mass Effect 3. No, not because of the ending. In fact, all of the drama about the ending just made me want to beat it all the more so I could see it first-hand. Rather, it's because I lost my save file from Mass Effect 2, which was continued from the first game as well. Having to "restart" with randomized decisions made in the previous games just gave me this massive disconnect, like I wasn't playing my game anymore, and it just sucked me out of the game.

Also, for as much as I've played them, I have yet to beat an Elderscrolls game. I'll play the heck out of them and get a powerful character going, but I just get so sucked into the side stuff that I rarely bother with the actual story missions. By the time I get to them, I don't get far before moving on to something else. Which is odd, because I was able to beat both Fallout games that Bethesda put out despite also getting sucked into the side missions.

Edit: Also, Final Fantasy 8. First time I played it the story just completely lost me. The second time I played it I tried like hell to beat it just so I could say that I saw it through, but I didn't get much further that time around. I just didn't enjoy the character building system, which also caused me to not really enjoy the battles, and the story still didn't have any grip on me. There just wasn't anything in it for me, so as soon as I got even remotely stuck I just stopped playing.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Pyrian said:
XCom: Enemy Unknown (later levels get more and more boring)
For me, it was the base-building nonsense in between the action set pieces. Every experience I had with almost any aspect outside of selecting my team and loadout, or the tactical combat segments, was either tedious or dull. It's the primary reason I never got around to finishing the game.

Shame, too, since I loved it quite a lot, otherwise.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Evonisia said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Add Dark Souls to my post. I've tried Dark Souls several times, each attempt getting further than the last and spending quite a few hours on them over a few days period. Despite generally enjoying myself when playing, I just lose interest. When I return, I have to start fresh because I feel like I've distanced myself from the last attempt.
Shadowstar38 said:
I understand some people cannot get into the game, or feel some elements are cheap, but I disagree that "everything" is cheap and counter intuitive in design. Could you tell me what you thought didn't work for you? I am curious. I do have some criticisms of the game, like how there is no "proper" tutorial(the asylum doesn't count people! Telling you the controls is the tip of the iceburg of the things they should have explained!) and how important things like humanity and poise is not explained in detail(or at all). It still is one of my favorite video games of all time(thus far I suppose).

As for me? Bioshock: I just got bored. I played the pc version, so maybe I got a bad port, but the gun play feels rather...bad in comparison to most other fps's of the time. I liked the design of the areas and enemies, as well as their backstories though.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dragon Age: Origins.

I've tried playing it 3 times. My last play-through I finished the zombie castle and the mage tower(with the fade), went to the deep roads and just kind of stopped. Part of it was that it was really, really difficult, part of it was that my schedule at the time just kind of went to shit but I stopped and never went back to it.

I keep telling myself that someday I'm gonna go through the game and finish it, but RPG's take so long that the thought of playing through once again keeps putting me off.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
World of Warcraft - gearscore whores and being booted out of the 100th guild (I realm-hopped something like 10+ times) and my priest main never getting any gear even from Ulduar 10-man, again because of gearscore whores, and other horrible nerfs. Should have rolled paladin when I started back in 2005 but that was long before I actually got my paladin fursona.

EVE Online - had a nice spot with a great corp in the north-west nullsec somewhere but then Goonswarm happened and we had to evacuate because Against All Authorities next door left us hanging, the cowards. Then I got fucked over by a courier who gave me lip for reminding him he was a week or two late with delivering my 5+ billion ISK blueprints back to hisec (I shouldn't have taken them with me in the first place but goddamnit). Also can't find work anywhere as a miner/builder that's safe from fucking griefers, and fuck PvP because it just isn't for me. If I can't even kill a player frigate with a Destroyer 5 times in a row by duel, I have no business PvPing.

Warcraft 3 - my bro got me it for Christmas somewhere between 2004 and 2007, I just could NOT get into it for how atrociously slow the Human builder units are at gathering resources compared to Age of Empires 2.

Minecraft - FeedTheBeast ruined the vanilla, but I can't find a way to get properly started on it because there's no reliable flowchart to all the new shit you can build.

DayZ - BANDITS! Cheaters too, although I never directly met any, but a Dutch guy I met and befriended told me he met one of those cheaters who just walk up to you and then hack-strip your inventory from you and take it all for himself.

Rust - DayZ/Minecraft ripoff but with cavemen and incredibly accelerated human evolution. Some fuckwit managed to break into my house through the floor that I didn't think to reinforce and kinda made a fool out of myself in front of the server admin at the time.

Team Fortress 2 - I'm not sure "stopped playing" is entirely accurate, but having now clocked in 900 hours there's not a whole lot more to do. That new CS:GO update they just put in has turned me off even more.

Battlefield 2 - the sequels have pretty much rendered it obsolete because barely anyone plays it anymore, and with GameSpy shut down, definitely no one is.

Red Alert 3 - GameSpy again.

Half-Life - I have no idea why this is GOTY and all that everywhere I go. The story doesn't grab me and the Metroidvania maps are triggering my hatred of navigating mazes.

Jet Set Radio - if this game controlled more like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 it would be more servicable, but there are jumps the game expects you to make which cannot be done without serious practice. I pretty much ragequit around the middle flashback section because some of the sprays are just unreachable and the Golden Rhinos break the established rule that dashing makes you immune to bullets.

Might and Magic: Heroes VI - Cheating AI (even more so than ever), always-online DRM, fucking Uplay, and the gimmicky Dynasty weapons which don't work unless online and are even buggy. That is, if you equip a staff with [Magic] Affinity, your Hero's Magic Power is reduced to single-digit every round, which kills your Mage utterly. Not even on the easiest difficulty setting could I beat the demo map ever, and in the full version I regularly resorted to using a trainer to max out my armies just to even survive the mid-game. Also the campaign takes the piss by making the Haven faction basically Catholics, and the angels are now evil because they have a conspiracy to get humans killed so they can merge with human souls to make Seraphs which I found incredibly objectionable (any wonder that girl who got executed then got snatched up by her necromancer grandaunt to subvert this?).

X-COM/Final Fantasy Tactics - RNG hates me, I hate it, there's just no making friends for us two. Every time I try to be tactical I seem to be committing a social faux pas of some kind because the RNG keeps punishing me by not allowing me to hit anything unless I have 95% hit chance, meanwhile enemies crit me with 10% chance reliably. FFT I was playing the remake of on my PSP which eventually broke and I can't be assed to emulate it.

SWAT 4 - No one plays it online anymore, and those that did are fuckwits because they insist you MUST have 2 players on a door, one opens the door while one walks across the door to "scan for perps", which unfailingly alerts the perps and makes them run away, spoiling your element of surprise, and hate on you or use a mod that forces equipment on you for bringing the OptiWand to check around corners and beneath doors. I got banned once for teamkilling a player who looked EXACTLY like a suspect. Singleplayer isn't appealing anymore either.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Wolfenstein: The New Order- I tried to play it three times, but I just get bored. Might just be a sign that I don't enjoy old fashion FPSs.

Far Cry 4- I got kinda far in the campaign, but about ten hours in I just lost interest. Nothing in the story was keeping me going and the gameplay was just copy/paste of the 3rd game.

Dragon Age: Inquisition- Tried with about seven characters, the seventh finally stuck. Played for like twenty hours, then just lost interest. This time it has been deleted from my PS4. There is no going back.

Tuxedoman

Apr 16, 2009
Man, I have a heap of games that I've started but never seen through. I used to pride myself on finishing games, but I guess now I just don't generally have enough spare time to mess around doing something I don't enjoy in order to get to the 'good bits'.

Valkyria Chronicles was a game I never finished. The concept of it seemed cool, but it seemed like the game was trying to put me off playing it from the get go. There was not a single character who I didn't find annoying or flat out stupid, and although the gameplay wasn't bad at all, the plot ended up putting me off it.
Probably doesn't help that I don't enjoy Anime.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall was something else I never finished, but I'm not really sure why. I loved the game, and pretty much got to the end. Then something else must have come up, I put it down, and have never had the urge to play it since.
I'd still recommend it to anyone wanting a good turn based tactical rpg.

Shadow of Mordor also didn't keep me hooked, possibly because its a sandbox which takes inspiration from two other sandboxes that I don't reeeeally enjoy; Batman and AssCreed. Going around killing orcs got old after a while, the characters didn't keep me invested, and holy balls Mordor is ugly. I mean, I know it's meant to be ugly, but HOOOOLY BAWLS.

Call of Duty: Advanced warfare. I rented it for my xbax over a weekend when peeps were over, we jammed some game, was good. When people left, I decided to try the single player out. I knew that it wasn't going to be a gripping plot, nor was it going to be much more than a power fantasy gun-circlejerk, but that was kind of why I wanted to play it. I've played so many deep rpg's in recent times, I wanted to have something a little more... shall we say trashy.

Got fifteen minutes in, saw that North Korea was attacking the South with exosuits, and stopped playing. I get that it is fiction, but that screamed of real world propaganda, as well as just being a nonsensical situation.
I guess its like wanting to have some ice-cream after going on a diet, getting something with far too much sugar in it and just throwing up.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Vigormortis said:
Pyrian said:
XCom: Enemy Unknown (later levels get more and more boring)
For me, it was the base-building nonsense in between the action set pieces.
Interesting. I found the base stuff... Mostly inoffensive. It's not like you need to spend a lot of time on it. Still, many of the descriptions are woefully inadequate. Like, nothing tells you that you'll need even more engineers to build another satellite uplink until you've built one. Then you get the in-depth description of the Assault Cannon which neglects to ever mention that, unlike other cannons (which are plane mounted weapons), this thing is a plasma-tier shotgun.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Maximum Bert said:
Halo 3 - I just gave up I did not play very long but after playing and loving Halo 2 I was so hype for this and it disappointed on every level for me. I just found it utterly unsatisfying and it sort of killed the series for me.

Destiny - played for over 50 hours because of friends but jeez god what an awful tedious game we just called it quits in the end. Even with it being the only game we could all play together it was not enough to keep our attention, without friends I would have dropped this game in hours.
Stopped playing these 2 games aswell.

Halo3 was just a slog, the second to last chapter killed the last bit of enjoyment.
Destiny was okay, but after hitting lvl16 on my only character I lost all drive, thanks to the absurdly expensive DLC's that don't offer replayability.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Broderick said:
I understand some people cannot get into the game, or feel some elements are cheap, but I disagree that "everything" is cheap and counter intuitive in design. Could you tell me what you thought didn't work for you? I am curious. I do have some criticisms of the game, like how there is no "proper" tutorial(the asylum doesn't count people! Telling you the controls is the tip of the iceburg of the things they should have explained!) and how important things like humanity and poise is not explained in detail(or at all). It still is one of my favorite video games of all time(thus far I suppose).
-My first class was a sorcerer. I was wondering why I couldn't use spells at first and I realized they don't work if you're hollowed. This game knows you're gonna die alot and hollow is a default state so why cripple a class's main weapon like that?

-Attunment is defined in the level up menu as number of attument slots. Why couldn't you just say spells?

-Dodge, block, and attack are all using the same stamia bar? The fuck? Like, If I can't attack or block can I at least get away from the guy at a speed faster than a stroll? It turns combat into a waiting game where I need to get an opening plus wait for the bar to fill up.

-In the Asylum they tell you how to dodge roll and proceed to throw a boulder at you. All times before this when they taught me a control I saw where it was going to be applicable ahead of time. But there was absolutely no way for me to see the boulder coming. This represents the trial and error style of the game and how they expect you to fuck up then come back with forknowledge rather than use skill, cause this isn't the last time something like that happened.

-Why is it harder ti parry in this game than any action game I've play. The window is only 28 frames long. Thats rediculous to get down with the different animation speeds for different weapons.

Thats just the things I can think of from the last time I tried it.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
Final Fantasy XII is the only one in the series I have outright gotten bored with. To the point where I fell asleep while playing multiple times, once in the middle of a combat zone. It's just so hard to feel invested in a game where the characters are mostly cariacture cutouts of stereotypes and the gameplay feels like it's trying to be a dumbed down single-player MMO. I mean, Vaan is hardly a character at all ("I want to be a sky pirate!" is not what I'd call good character depth), Ashe is the "angry princess" stereotype (to be fair, she does have a good reason for being angry, but it seems she forgot how to be anything else but angry somewhere along the way), and so on and so forth. The visuals are good (but saying the visuals are good in a Square Enix game is sort of like saying Yahtzee is a satirically funny man in a nice hat; explicitly understood from the outset), but I've never been one to be particularly enthused about graphics beyond the initial "ooooh pretty" moment. Though I will give it credit for being one of the only video games I've seen that punishes a character for having a stupidly placed armor cutout. That was satisfying (if you don't know what I'm talking about, hit up youtube. It was in a cutscene).

So, yeah. I stopped playing Final Fantasy XII because it bored me to sleep.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Pyrian said:
Interesting. I found the base stuff... Mostly inoffensive. It's not like you need to spend a lot of time on it. Still, many of the descriptions are woefully inadequate. Like, nothing tells you that you'll need even more engineers to build another satellite uplink until you've built one. Then you get the in-depth description of the Assault Cannon which neglects to ever mention that, unlike other cannons (which are plane mounted weapons), this thing is a plasma-tier shotgun.
It wasn't so much that I 'hated' it, but rather that it was just dull. It felt like most of it was superfluous to what else was going on and added unneeded hurdles between the tactical set pieces.

I mean, I understand why it's all there, but I'd have rather had the ability to skip it.

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
FPLOON post="9.847142.20896904" said:
ShinyCharzard post="9.847142.20895710" said:
Ni No Kuni:

The handholding was insultingly bad, it's also too damn slow and the battle system is terrible. I played it for about 4 hours before dropping it completely.

Tales of Graces F:

I mean to finish this one some day. The story and characters in this game are just mind numbingly dull, which is a cardinal sin for a Tales game.
Yeah... I kinda have a similar feeling when I stopped playing those two games... only I remember forgetting about Tales of Graces F, at first, before trying to get back into the game and I just couldn't... Meanwhile, I became one of those "naysayers" that wished Ni No Kuni was a two-part movie or something like that...

OT: Project X Zone:

A game with a bunch of characters from Bandai, Capcom, and Sega fighting alongside each other in TRPG-style gameplay? It could have been awesome!
...Then I got super bored and just stopped right after I had my best friend try out the game himself...

Project Diva F:

I... don't want to talk about this one... (Enough said...)

Shadow the Hedgehog:

After years of ignorant bliss, I wanted to buckle down and actually try to beat this game for realz this time...
I.. just can't... and still can't... even after beating Sonic 06 TWICE... (My fake hat's off to you, Clement...)

Honorable mention goes towards any JRPG (that's not Kingdom Hearts or Persona) that I have failed to complete on my PSP... (Sorry, Fate Extra, Tales of the World, and Ys I and II Chronicles, especially... Not you, Tag Force 4, and you know why...)
This whole quote (including the reply to the quote within the quote) is still my answer for games I just stopped playing...

Other than that, I stopped playing both Alice games because despite the story intriguing me, especially in Madness Returns, the overall gameplay in both games wasn't really doing it for me...

Kristoffer

Apr 22, 2015
So many games..

1) Stopped playing Risen about 9-10 hours in. Bugged questline was the last straw.
2) Arkham City. Completely lost interest 5-6 hours in, not sure why.
3) Darksiders. Almost cleared it but quit out of boredom.
4) Dishonoured. Interesting game, no idea why but I don't feel like continuing.
5) Divinity Original sin. Combat turned into a chore, story bored me to tears, much preferred divinity 2.
6) Torchlight 2. Gameplay grew stale after 10-15 hours.