Games you thought would be awesome...

Lycaeus_Wrex

Jan 19, 2009
...but were completely disappointing.

I have quite a list of these. Chief amongst them is Far Cry 2; the previews and reviews hyped it up as if it was the second coming of FPS and it turned out to be repetitive, generic and very, very boring. I could go on for hours about the empty sandbox gameplay, non-existant AI, lacklustre weaponry, rubbish mission and pointless buddy system, and the truly AWFUL talk-at-100mph voice acting but it's safe to say it sits proudly as the one game I've installed and then un-installed 1.5hrs later.

Honorable(?) mentions go to Oblivion, F.E.A.R. 2, Black and White and STALKER. All of them held such promise and just...failed spectacularly.

Share your gaming woes with the world! Or...just the Escapist :)

L. Wrex

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Fable. By no means was it a bad game, but it was just over hyped and they couldn't deliver all their promises. Same thing happened with Fable 2.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Assassin's Creed is the epitome of this. But yes, Far Cry 2 was pretty terrible.

Inb4Searchbutton

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Lycaeus_Wrex said:
Honorable(?) mentions go to Oblivion, F.E.A.R. 2, Black and White and STALKER. All of them held such promise and just...failed spectacularly.
I've a feeling you're about to make a lot of enemies.

I didn't like Bioshock much, although I was hoping it would be great 'cause the setting was cool.

Lycaeus_Wrex

Jan 19, 2009
*Slaps head* Should have used search. My bad! :)

Bioshock was pretty cool, but the last few levels let it down quite a lot.

L. Wrex

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Assassins Creed. If only 'cus so many people seem to think it's worth a damn.
I'm tempted to think that AC2 might be the game AC wanted to be..but we've all been there before.

Burnout Paradise: I've really tried to get on with this game but it just feels wrong.

issacization

Jul 6, 2009
Has to be Halo 3. I had halo 1 and it was an OK at best game halo 2 was Good so i thought Halo 3 would be better but it wasnt crap story and the online got boring quick biggest overhyped game made.

HonorableChairman

Jan 23, 2009
I am the only person who enjoyed Far Cry 2 and at the same time was unaware of the hype it generated, I swear.

That said, I was ever-hopeful about Too Human until a bit after it was released. I'm a sucker for Norse cyberpunk.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Far cry 2, Stalker Clear sky and Bioshock are the first ones that spring too mind. Out of the three I have to say clear sky was my favourite, but only once heavily modded and patched.
Bioshock just felt underwhelming, and the less said about Far cry 2 the better.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
As I always say in these threads, Spore. No game comes close to the amount of disappointment this game generated.

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
2 votes for Assasin's Creed and here's a third.
After all the hype and 'mates rates' I finally bought a copy and... was thoroughly disappointed.
Repetitive level design (to the point of returning to the same areas), actions and fighting, and a story that was too involved for its own good (seriously if you're going to try and tackle 'genetic memory' or some shit look at Hideo Kojima and at least try and make a cinematic experience) just got me to the point of finishing the game because I had to. Because I'd started. And frankly, I ain't playing the second unless a few thousand reviews say it's the best thing since KFC Bargain Buckets.

EvilGenius666

Jul 20, 2009
I'd have to agree with Spore and Mirror's Edge here.
Also, pretty much any expansion pack in the Total War series will end up being nowhere near as good as the game it expands.

Luffie

Jun 9, 2009
Spore, i felt myself gradually sicken as i watched it slowly progress into rts then..space travel? building vehicles? i actually ended up with a headache for the rest of the day i stopped