Games you want to play, but can't justify purchasing.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Now I'm sure many of the PC "master race" here have been interested in a game exclusive to the consoles but not want to drop the significant amount of money just to buy the associated console just to play the one game.

I personally have had this happen a few times, I can attest. Way back when, when Bastion and Mark of the Ninja were getting praise I really wanted to give them a go, however with my main device of choice (PS3) barred me from such dalliances. That was until I installed Steam on my work computer (game developer, its "research") I was finally able to play these through Steam.
This has also occurred most recently with the recent Pokémon games (especially with the latest remakes being made of my favourite gen) and Sunset Overdrive exclusive to the Xbone.

The former is because for all the nostalgia I have for the series, I've found my patience has not improved with age, so thus the games feel incredibly slow, and then there?s the old rigmarole:
1) Buy Nintendo handheld for Pokémon,
2) play Pokémon through once,
3) Not interested in Meta game,
4) Want to play again but don't want to part with 1's and 0's,
5) Resign to buying other version to start again.
As for Sunset Overdrive, whilst I adore its aesthetics and pedigree, any time Insomniac have dabbled with Co-operative multiplayer the result has been less than gratifying.

TL;DR So fellow Escapee's what are some of the games you've always wanted to buy, but not want to part with large sums of money in order to play?

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Call of Duty: Ghosts.
I know that game isn't very good, but I really want to play a single player campaign, because every single player campaign in all previous cods was at least good.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I'm *slightly* interested in Valkyria Chronicles because of the WW2 aspect, but after a lifetime of deriding anime and its associated works as pure garbage, I can't be seen playing it. Besides, doesn't appeal to me that much.

For a game I genuinely do want: Titanfall. Looks great, but apparently doesn't have the single-player to justify full price. Not to mention I don't have an Xbox One or indeed the purchasing power to get one.

*Sigh* I need a job....

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Diablo 3- Lack of people to play with and the class I really want to play requires the expansion.
Simcity- Yes, I really want to try this game, but I just can't bring myself to pay for it.
Maia- Looks like a great game with a neat concept, but it's in really early access.
Bound in Flame- Looks like a fun RPG, but not worth the forty dollar price tag.
Planet Explorers- Looks like a fun Minecraft in space game, but the early access is turning me away.
Stalker- I really don't know why I haven't bought them yet, I think I'm just waiting till they go on sale again.
Tropico 5- I require one thing when I purchase Tropico games. 1. Cheats 2. A GOTY edition.

I have some others, but most of those are just because of early access.

Dec 10, 2012
I would quite like to play the DLC for Skyrim, especially Dragonborn. But I don't know if I can justify spending another 40 or so dollars on the game when I never really know when I'm going to develop Elder Scrolls fatigue again. I go through phases of that affliction.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Dragonlayer said:
I'm *slightly* interested in Valkyria Chronicles because of the WW2 aspect, but after a lifetime of deriding anime and its associated works as pure garbage, I can't be seen playing it. Besides, doesn't appeal to me that much.
Shame your missing out on a gem of a game there you could try the demo which is free obviously but that really wont show the strengths of the game.

Steel Battalion is one of mine I really wanted to try it but damn that was an expensive game and I didnt really have room for that controller.

Killer Instinct for the Xbone but I dislike the direction that MS were pushing for with the Xbone so I have decided not to get one. I also dislike the model and pricing for KI and consider it to expensive it launching unfinished also didnt sit well with me. I like the game but I also have issues with it and to be honest its not strong enough to justify me purchasing it even if I had an Xbone atm there are just so many other superior (imo) fighters that give you much more at a lower price.

Skyrim but thats because I cant justify the time to delve into it anymore even though I can get it quite cheap now same goes for FFXIV.

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
Halo: the Master Chief Collection. I was willing to pay 60 bucks for CE Anniversary, so I'd be willing to pay 60 bucks for Halo 2 Anniversary. And this one also comes with a fully-operational Halo 2 multiplayer, the one Halo multiplayer I never got to experience. But...I can't justify paying however many hundreds of dollars it costs now for an Xbox One when I know I probably wouldn't get any other games until Halo 5. One franchise just isn't enough to get me to buy a console anymore. (Well, except Pokemon. I think I'll always bite when it comes to Pokemon.)

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
I want to play Wolfenstein: The new order but I just can't justify paying full price for it when I have so many other games I should be playing.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I want a PS4 but simply don't have the money. Luckily there aren't many games out for the thing yet that I can't also get on say, the PS3 like Thief or, Wolfenstein: The New One.

Honestly, I just want next-gen consoles in general...Microsoft's presentation showed off a pretty Halo 2 remake/ Master Chief bundle. I want Dead Rising 3 but would need an XBone or, a good PC. I want Sunset Overdrive too but again; I don't have $450+ to spare. There are a lot of current games...and games from last year...and the year before...that I can't really buy right now anyway thanks to stupid medical bills. Stupid guts of mine, trying to go south for Spring Break...

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Assassin's Creed 4. It's still forty quid on the Steam store. I've been wanting to play an open world piratey thing since forever :(

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
MrHide-Patten said:
any time Insomniac have dabbled with Co-operative multiplayer the result has been less than gratifying.
Resistance 2's co-op was amazing balanced class-based and practically its own game.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I haven't bought a new Ubisoft game in nearly 7 years because I disagree with some of their policy when it comes to games. A shame because I've really wanted to play a couple games of theirs: Anno 2070, The Settlers 7, Heroes of Might & Magic 6, Rayman: Legends, and a few others.

But dammit there's no way I'm signing up for Uplay now or ever... if Beyond Good and Evil 2 ever comes out that's going to really test my restraint though.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Tropico 5, while really appealing visually and promising more of the nice empire-building that previous title Tropico 3 had, doesn't actually have enough new features, optimization, or endgame satisfaction to warrant a purchase at its price as a new release. I'm not even sure I'd buy it at a discount, all things considered, but I couldn't say.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I kinda want to try out Wildstar, but with my limited budget, I can't afford to buy it just to "try it out", and then most likely not want to play it for more than a week.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Watch Dogs. I could play it on 3 platforms, but I won't yet.
Sunset Overdrive, because there aren't enough games to make me get a next gen console, let alone an Xbone.
someonehairy-ish said:
Assassin's Creed 4. It's still forty quid on the Steam store. I've been wanting to play an open world piratey thing since forever :(
Doesn't it go on sale fairly often? I think I saw it on sale and the only thing that stopped me was uPlay. I picked it up on PS3 for 20 bucks or less a while back.

Now I just need to play it.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
I was actually looking through the electronics section at a store today while picking up some stuff for the house. I really want to play the new pokemon and was thinking about buying it till I saw the $200 price tag on the new gameboys.

Iwantstuff

Jun 20, 2013
Watch Dogs. I have a few friends who have it and they say it's really fun, but for the life of me I just can't justify spending 60 dollars to play it.