Games you WANT to see rebooted?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Legend of Dragoon.

Honestly, I'll take a new game of any kind to expand on that world.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
WhiteNachos said:
Burnout

Those games have no story but they're so much fun. I'd love to see what it'd look like on modern machines.

Also Timesplitters. It's very fun, but the last game wrapped everything up in a nice package so a sequel seems unlikely.
I was going to say Timesplitters since a new one couldnt really follow the story of Cortez so it might as well be a reboot. They could do something close to 2 where its "Random missions through time and space" or something closer to FP where they follow a character through a more planned out time sequence.

And Burnout is certainly a good choice, I didnt enjoy Paradise that much, I guess it was the complete lack of colours and I had some hard time seeing where I was supposed to do the corners, but anyway, I was always a bigger fan of Burnout 2. I also liked the way the games were after 3 but 2 for me still feels like the better game.

Wintermute said:
There's this game from 1995 or 1996, TITANIC: Adventure out of Time. I used to play it when I was a kid, and I'm replaying it now. It's a first person point and click mystery game, and honestly, I really want a new version of this with current graphics. In a way, the visuals of the game still look decent, since they used real actors and prerendered backgrounds, but at the same time, it also looks like shit and 256 colors. It's the only game I can think of that takes place entirely on a ship, and I want another.

Well, they are turning this into a game about some mistery murder in the Titanic so it can be similar to that

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines had the makings of a truly epic RPG. But it was buggy with a clunky combat system and a rushed ending.

I'd love to see what a Bethesda or Bioware reboot could do to make it a deeper open world role playing game.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
The Klonoa series was an underrated and fairly enjoyable 2.5D platforming series on the PS1 and PS2, and it would be cool to see a new entry in that game series.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Depends what we mean by 'rebooted'. I've always taken it to mean "ditch the convoluted or derailed story" and possibly for games "significanlty rethink the gameplay mechanics". I feel like a few posters are just taking it as which game that haven't been seen for a few years would they like to come back.

So for example, while I'd love a new Banjo-Kazooie game it doesn't need to be rebooted so much as they just need to make another game with basically the same type of plot/mechanics as the N64 classics.

So with true reboots in mind.

Super Mario Bros series: I'd like them to do a 2D/3D platformer that really rethought a lot of the basic mechanics and art style of the game and maybe even rebalanced Mario's somewhat annoying (non) personality.

Need for Speed: I'd like them to have a run of games where they stayed with the same mechanics/engine and refined them to the point where it was an excellent racer again.

Assassin's Creed: I'd like them to spend several years rethinking, implementing and testing mechanics to make it either a decent assassination based game, or more fun as an open world experience.

Dec 10, 2012
Comic Sans said:
WhiteNachos said:
Oh and God of War. I'd actually prefer a spiritual successor that's focused on a different mythology (quick name one game based off Egyptian mythology), but if they insist on sticking with Greek I'd like a reboot. After GOW 3 there's nowhere else the series can go that won't like feel a step down. Who's bigger than Zeus and Cronos and Gaia?
I'd love to throw down against Norse mythology. Those gods knew how to throw down. A boss fight against Thor sounds insanely amazing.
Norse mythology would have the added bonus of all the gods and monsters already being mortal. By the time Kratos started bumping off the immortal Olympians just by punching them a few times, I had had enough. There was just no respect left for the mythology.

Now, if they made a God of War game where you are, say, a mighty warrior who dies and goes to Valhalla, but decides he doesn't want to wait for Ragnarok and starts fighting the Asgardians... I would buy that. You could use the endless legions of Valhallan warriors for your cannon fodder, and some frost and fire giants for late game foes, with Asgardian boss battles. The plot could be about the PC trying to overthrow Asgardian rule, and ends up bringing about a premature Ragnarok.

Man, there are SO many things you could so with that. Yeah, this needs to happen.

Torque2100

Nov 20, 2008
Changing the subject slightly to tabletop gaming, there is one RPG that is desperately in need of a re-boot in my opinion.

Shadowrun.

Don't get me wrong, I love Shadowrun. The way the world combines Cyberpunk, Native American mythology and Fantasy is totally unique and gives the setting a timeless quality to it. That said, the world described in the Shadowrun books is an extremely dated vision of the future. 4th edition did a good job updating the world and the technology with the Wireless Matrix but it still doesn't address problems like Japan taking over the world.

As it stands, Shadowrun is an amusing artifact of the 80's but it gets less relevant every year and desperately needs to be re-booted.

In this opinion, I seem to be in the minority. In fact, Shadowrun's 80's retro-futurism seems to be part of the appeal these days.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Command and Conquer Generals, all redone with updated HD graphics, Company of Heroes style physics and a decent fucking netcode. Now that would be something I'd be very interested in.

Also, a release of any kind for Panzer Dragoon Saga. I remember getting disks 1-3 with Sega Saturn (yes, its that old) magazine, but never got the last few so never ever finished the game. :(

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Assuming it's a proper reboot and not something akin to Syndicate, this baby:

It was in many ways already outdated when it came out. Despite its gorgeous and amazing setting the graphics themselves were pretty outdated. Not to mention the combat. But the writing and story, the characters, and that gorgeous cello-based soundtrack? Those were amazing. Yeah I'd love to see an updated version of this game.
Damn, I was about to say the same thing actually. Also, another one is Advent Rising. I had a lot of fun with that game, and I found the lore surrounding it intriguing to be honest.

halisme

Jun 2, 2014
Black and White or Fable. The first is just because I want a new god game, the second because I think certain aspects of the lore were interesting, but the combat was too easy and as they moved on further in the timeline it couldn't go on any further.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
The "Myth" series (The Fallen Lords and Soulblighter): Hell, they don't really even need to reboot this series, but re-release HD versions of the first 2 games and I'd be happy as hell. Still, these games were so stinking good that I'd love a return to the world of Myth.

Krush, Kill, and Destroy (KKND): A pretty much forgotten series from when RTS games were everywhere, it's basically Command and Conquer meets Mad Max meets Fallout. A lot of fun and incredibly creative, but suffers now from dated graphics and sound and bad RTS controls. Would love to see them back, new and improved.

Rune: The world could always use more games with bad-ass Viking warriors.

Battle Realms: This game was so bad-ass, and there's a distinct lack of games that take place in a fantasy feudal Japan, "Legend of the Five Rings" type settings, and I'll never understand why. Please someone pick up this property and reboot it, the Lotus Clan must conquer!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Microprose Magic the Gathering!!!!
This game beautifully meshed Magic and RPG elements together to make a fantastic game that would be incredible in the current market. You could do so much with this battle/progression system and the lore surrounding the cards.

Besides that I could go for a revival of Lemmings. I remember having a LOT of fun with the original on SNES and then playing Lemmings 2: The Tribes at my friends place on PC. I understand the series has more than those two entries but I'd be all for a proper sequel in the style of The Tribes.

I'll agree with Wooty in regards to C&C Generals as well...I miss my C&C and generals was among the best.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Personally I'd love to see a reboot or HD release of the PS2 game The Punisher. Has anyone here ever played that game? It has to be one of the best "superhero" games from that era. It does an excellent job of putting you in the shoes of Marvel's most infamous vigilante, with all the blood, interrogations and executions you'd expect from it.

Here's a video showing just what kinds of things you can do in the first few stages:

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Dreadman75 said:
Personally I'd love to see a reboot or HD release of the PS2 game The Punisher.
I love that game. Replay value is off the freakin' charts. Hands down best game Volition has ever made.

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
I'd like a new Darkness game. They wouldn't necessarily have to reboot it, but new features and maybe a new setting could be cool.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
There are a TON of old games that I think need a fresh coat of paint or should be brought up for the modern age due to their historical importance. Of course I'd prefer remakes or revivals as reboots are the laziest excuse for people slapping a name on a game without it having anything to do with the franchise it's trying to hijack. For example:

Ultima series - a landmark series in gaming that's one of the most important RPG series in history. However, there's also a problem with a lot of the older titles: they've not aged well. It's only with Ultimas 6 and beyond that the series can be competently played without a bunch of esoteric BS and even those need an update. There have been fan remakes for some of the older entries, but that's not quite the same as they have to use engines of other games in order to emulate them such as Ultima 5 being made in a Dungeon Siege engine. Probably won't happen due to the bizarre nature of rights to certain aspects of the series.

Wing Commander - Another series that needs an update, though without the cheesy FMV sequences.

System Shock - At the very least someone REALLY needs to balance the absurd difficulty curve.

Star Tropics - A hidden Nintendo gem, though again with a nasty difficulty curve

Panzer Dragoon - At the very least bring back Saga

Wild Arms - It's sci-fi Western, what's not to like

Skies of Arcadia - Because we need more pirate games

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
None.

There are very, very few cases when a reboot is needed. There are more or less two cases:
1. The reboot isn't worth it, in which case...well, it isn't worth it, so nothing is gained by it.
2. The reboot is good because it's a good game, not because it's re-imagining of the series. In which case the reboot could have been a separate game. Or some sort of spin-off.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Jet set radio, I want to experience this game without paying a arm or leg for a dreamcast or original xbox version. I want a physical copy too, no digital only release.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Evil Genius. For the love of god someone remake or reboot that game. And if someone directs me to that facebook time-sink money draining abomination I will punch them. I want an actual reboot or sequel to that awesome game. Now that Dungein Keeper has be ressurected under the name War for the Overworld, we just need someone to bring back the Evil Genius game and I will be hapy for the rest of my life beeing an evil sob and dominating the world. And while we are on the subject: Overlord. And actually make it good this time (not that Overlord 1 and 2 are bad, they are just unpolished, bugged and they need better stories).

WongKy

Nov 7, 2012
Zontar said:
Supreme Commander or Total Annihilation. There's no way it can be a downgrade from Supreme Commander 2 or Planetary Annihilation.

Or you know, an actual squeal to the original Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance would work too.
A new game called Ashes of The Singularity by stardock the guys who published Sins of a Solar Empire looks nice from the screenshots but its very early so i'm not getting my hopes up