Games you're excited about that get next to no advertising?

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
So recently I stumbled across this little gem in the making that comes out in five days and as far as I can tell has recieved next to no press on most of the gaming sites I frequent which is strange because it contains the following:

- non-sexualized female lead character
- eyeball meltingly beautiful artwork like odin sphere made sweet love to western style water colors.
- throwback 2d exploration with turn based rpg combat system ala paper mario.
- have I mention dat art yet?

http://childoflight.ubi.com/col/en-US/home/index.aspx

I feel like there are a lot of games like this that get passed over when it comes time to decide what gets a spotlight in gaming journalism, so I thought I'd make a thread. I want to see what else I might have missed so if there's a great game you feel didn't get enough coverage, let's get some word of mouth going.

ZhannaKhaslik

Apr 15, 2014
Ah yes! I'm very excited for this game as well. ^__^ It's hard to believe that something so Ghibli-esque is coming from the same team that made Far Cry 3. I agree that it's not getting enough press. :(

--------------------------------

One game that comes to mind immediately is an older MMORPG called Anarchy Online. I have played a lot of MMOs, and nothing has come close to matching the complexity and longevity of AO for me. However, they had next to nothing as far as advertising, which really limited the player base. Of the few who did find and play it, many left early-on due to the high learning curve.

Also, there is really interesting game called Long Live the Queen. The best way I can describe it is that it's like a visual novel, but it's really so much more than that. The interface is similar, but there are pretty in-depth RPG elements, so I guess you could call it a VNRPG. =P

And, if you like retro gaming AND female leads, check out Ultionous: A Tale of Petty Revenge. It's highly sexualized, but for the purpose of humor. It's kind of a tounge-and-cheek approach to sexualization of women in games. Plus it's challenging, fun, has great retro art and, best of all (for me), an amazing soundtrack!

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
I was gonna say Child of. Light, but you already said it. I love Paper Mario, and, hopefully this game is good. I haven't played the new South Park game, but I heard it has similar combat. Another game I'm really excited for is Monster Hunter 4. I can't wait. And we get the Ultimate version as well? Even better. My brother and I are going to sink so much time into this, and we can finally do what MH3U couldn't do: play online with others. Oh god, I'm so hyped, no underwater combat, climbing monsters, new weapon types, and so many new monsters? Yes.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, I'm also gonna be buying Child of Light.

The gameplay looks positively off-putting to me and I have no idea what the story is about, I just want it for the visual design.

Also looking forward to Transistor. Mostly because it's by the people behind Bastion. Not sure if I'll like the gameplay, but it at least looks interesting and it's nice to see that they didn't just copy-paste Bastion and give it a paint job.

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
Transistor - It looks like it will be a worthy follow up game from the creators of Bastion

Routine - 80s Sci-Fi styled horror game for PC. The trailer for it looks incredible. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAcAd1fUiy8]

Hyper Light Drifter - Had a massively successful Kickstarter, but haven't really hear much about it in the gaming press.

Below - Haven't seen much about this, but what I've seen looks interesting. http://www.whatliesbelow.com/

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
0. Age of Wonders 3 (now released)
1. Senran Kagura: Deep Crimson (3DS)
2. Phantasy Star Nova (PSVita)

There are a whole lot of other games I'm looking forward to, but most of them are quite well known and will probably get a lot of advertising just before their release dates. Pillars of Eternity, The Mandate, The Witcher 3 etc.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Risen 3: Titan Lords. It's due for release in like a month or so, yet I've seen fuck all advertising for it beyond a lame teaser trailer and some Facebook posts. Understandably, interest in it is lacking after the horrible second game, but with the legacy of the rest of the Gothic/Risen franchise, you'd think there would be at least some amount of buzz.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Shovel Knight
Shantae (there are 2 games upcoming, yet most have never heard of the previous 2 games)

The games I'm interested in rarely get advertising. Dark Souls 2 being a recent exception.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Kirby Triple Deluxe? I'm not sure if it has gotten much advertising, I don't watch regular TV.
Also, Wolfenstein: The New Order. Haven't seen much, other than articles on PC gaming sites.

Anyway. Yeah. From a cute pink marshmallow creature to shooting alternate-history Nazis in the face.
My taste wildly varies.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
pspman45 said:
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax!
basically everything made by Arc System Works
yup agreed also there is J stars Victory and Under Night in Birth. Although neither have gotten a western release so that would explain some of it.

X has had very little coverage just like Xenoblade Chronicles did also Bayonetta 2 has had hardly any coverage maybe its because there is nothing to talk about but the games should be well on there way actually any WiiU game not made by Nintendo can go here but X and Bayonetta 2 are the ones I am excited for.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
I actually must say (unless Ive been 'unlucky' in that sence to not see any), I've hardly seen any advertisement for Witcher 3. Ive seen a few vids on youtube but that about sums it up, the rest is still a 'mystery' in a way seeing as I havent thoroughly scoured through the internet searching for that specific data. Though I must say Ill be excited when it comes out hehe.
Whistleblower DLC for Outlast is also something that I have seen neither hide nor hair of allthough it should be released soon as far as Ive come to understand.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I guess I haven't heard much on Transistor lately, I assume it's on the radar though, considering the following that Bastion got.

Raine_sage said:
http://childoflight.ubi.com/col/en-US/home/index.aspx
Thanks for the reminder, I remember thinking that that one looked lovely.

ryan_cs

Aug 13, 2013
Thanks for reminding me, I'm also looking forward to it.

Anyways, for me it's it's The Darkest Dungeon by Red Hook Studios, I think it's about exploring a dungeon while preserving your group's sanity, a unique turn based combat, and lovecraftian-esque monsters.
The art style has an awesome gothic horror look, and the classes also look unique.