Games you're going to finish someday, you swear.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Zelda Windwaker

It's been sitting in my backlog for over a decade now, and I start a playthrough about once a year. Buuuuuut, I always stop at one point or another, sometimes usually to play a new release instead, but just as often because I don't feel like continuing. Maybe I should just own up to not liking the game, or rather 3D Zelda in general, since I also rather trudged through Ocarina and Twilight Princess before.

Speaking of backlog, the 50 or so games I never even started be before, a little under half of which are rpgs.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Planescape Torment.

Yeah it isn't going along very well.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, well here we go

Crying Suns
Cat Quest
Wild Guns Reloaded
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Fullthroattle Remastered
Yakuza 0
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
Wargroove
Steamworld Dig 2
Ghost of a Tale
Resident Evil 2 (Clair first playthough)
Full Bore
Dead Cells
Battletech

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Anything on this rediculously long list.

Im one of those people who sees a game on sale, then leaves it to rot in my games library. Or I get super excited for a game to release, buys it on day one, and then one thing leads to another, and its been 6 months and I haven't touched it.

So I guess I thought to myself that I may as well work my way through them, for once.

This year I have completed/recompleted 35 games, and various DLCs. Its been a nice experience.

Still a long way to go, though. Apparently.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
With the steam library update the shear volume of games I've not finished has been thrown into rather sharp relief. Although honestly I went through it thinking "sucked.. sucked... boring... don't even remember buying it... bought a humble bundle for one game and added them all... I played Salt and Sanctuary for 30 hours?... wrapped... sucked..."

Vertiginous Golf - It seemed like it had an interesting story for a crap golf game. I really wanted to see it through and see how the whole thing shook out, but... ugh the golf physics...

Thief Series - I really liked the new one, and it makes me want to get back into that thing and see what the other games are like, but I've never had the scrumph to push though the archaic elements of the games.

Shadow of Mordor - The game was rad and I was loving it, but I was playing it while working long distance in an area unironically referred to as "badlands". In an effort to escape I went into a roughly 2 year long transition period in my life which all shook out quite well for me, but I haven't had the will to go back. Feels like I left it behind.

Dear Esther - This may be a semi-copout because it doesn't quite meet the requirement of "clear ending" but I feel given the fact it had obvious completion points it does work. Loved the voice acting, loved the story, didn't hear all the endings. I never figured out if it was random or flag based, but I'm certain there was more to the story that I didn't get.

Oh also I really want to get 999 coins in Binding of Isaac Greed mode but I feel as though I would need to physically become northernlion to do that.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Elfgore said:
Dragon Age: Inquisition. I'll make it past the Hinterlands one day. I swear I will! It doesn't help I find the gameplay just awful and the combat boring. There's one spot that always breaks me in the Hinterlands. It's a massive forest with like a dozen or so bears scattered about. These bears take forever to kill. I accidentally aggro one and just die of boredom slowly bringing it's massive health bar down. Add in the absurd amount of busy quests, I've been told to literally just skip these, and I just hang in the towel.
Dude don't bother, everything get worse past the hinterland, somehow. The story is somehow both excruciatingly slow and way too fast, the combat becomes a complete joke, with every build feeling like you,ve stumble onto a broken OP/bugged out build and the areas become incredibly monotonous.

My entry is this small PS2 game called ring of red, it's this tactics where attacking an enemy takes like 5 minutes. It's really fun, but even a small maps takes forever and the story is very anime in all the worse way

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
EvilRoy said:
Dear Esther - This may be a semi-copout because it doesn't quite meet the requirement of "clear ending" but I feel given the fact it had obvious completion points it does work. Loved the voice acting, loved the story, didn't hear all the endings. I never figured out if it was random or flag based, but I'm certain there was more to the story that I didn't get..
Dear Esther had mutiple endings? I barely remember the thing at all. Walking....walking....abstract narration...wierd stuff on the scenery....ghost dude up in the distance....walking.....pretty scenery.....wierd ending....something something I feel asleep.

Honestly, I got more enjoyment out of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7XLhizhcfk&t=1s

Far more entertaining then the actual game and I actually like walking sims. Well, good ones anyway.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'm pretty bad about this because I won't play a game without playing previous games in the series. That's why I just got around to GTA V this year... because IV was such a chore to get through I kept putting off finishing it. Its why I've never played The Witcher 2 or 3, 1 isn't bad... its just tedious and as such I've never finished it. Its why Assassin's Creed died for me after Black Flag, I never bought Unity (although I did pick it up for free after the Notre Dame fire.) One of these days I will finish Dead Space. A week after I bought it is when I first downloaded Minecraft and I've never quite gotten back to it.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Dalisclock said:
EvilRoy said:
Dear Esther - This may be a semi-copout because it doesn't quite meet the requirement of "clear ending" but I feel given the fact it had obvious completion points it does work. Loved the voice acting, loved the story, didn't hear all the endings. I never figured out if it was random or flag based, but I'm certain there was more to the story that I didn't get..
Dear Esther had mutiple endings? I barely remember the thing at all. Walking....walking....abstract narration...wierd stuff on the scenery....ghost dude up in the distance....walking.....pretty scenery.....wierd ending....something something I feel asleep.

Honestly, I got more enjoyment out of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7XLhizhcfk&t=1s

Far more entertaining then the actual game and I actually like walking sims. Well, good ones anyway.
Kind of? It had a series of completion points where the game would end, but each stopping point revealed a different detail about the story. I guess it was like a rougelike walking simulator if that makes any sense. Multiple playthroughs would give you different parts of the same whole story. I really don't know if it holds up at all - it was one of the first, if not the first, walking simulators and at the time it was released it happened to represent a few things that were very personally meaningful.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - as things go... side missions, random derping crap. Oh there's a story?! Huh... who'da thunkit.

Horizon: Zero Dawn - played it slowly a while ago but got side-tracked by AC:Ody and Dishonored 2 and haven't been tempted to go back to it. Like OP, a bit burned out on open world games, thanks to how bloated AC:Ody could be and I 100%'d it.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - I really want to finish this, but it doesn't have that flare or uniqueness that characterised HR, played a bit in the Prague map but got a bit bored even though I know where it leads and it interests me, a lot... :/

Dragon Age: Origins - [insert OP's thoughts verbatim, pretty much...]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Do still intend to finish off The Witcher 3's Southern France DLC at some point. It's just all my data got deleted for everything and a save file on a previous console needs to be uploaded into the cloud which I can't do without a ps+ subscription. The buggernuts.

Divinity Original Sin, eventually maybe, unless the sequel turns out to be such an improvement there's no point going back. Oh wait, the save data's gone, hasn't it. Nevermind! That rules out quite a lot. A blessing in disguise mayhaps.

Never got round to killing that last Valkyrie in God of War on hard mode. That will have to be done, and I don't mind going through it again with the unlocked framerate making it feel overall fairly different.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
At this rate, with how bad the game crashes on me all the time, and the general lack of emotional investment in the plot/events....The Outer Worlds. I find myself saying when I get home from work. "Ok! Going to play some more of the game!" ...then I dick around on youtube for a while, mess around on my phone with games, grab a coffee, and then realize it's been 2 hours. I then force myself to load the game....and it locks up on the first load screen as I change locations....and I shut it down in frustration.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Just the games that I started and still want to finish:

- Kingdom Hearts (it doesn't help that my PS3 just broke)
- Demon Souls (ditto)
- Octopath Traveler
- Persona Q
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
- Okami
- MGS V: Phantom Pain
- Deux Ex
- Doom (2016)
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Pokemon Diamond
- Pokemon Alpha-Saphire (too much water /jk)
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates of Infinity
- Eldritch
- etc...

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
The Witcher 3.

I love the witcher games. Seriously, i even read The Last Wish. Twice!

But when it came out, i got SERIOUSLY distracted by sidequests. Then life happened and i forgot where i was, what i should be doing, who anybody was, who the bad guys were and why i was looking after what i can only describe as the hunchback of notre dame's lovechild.

There was this great character in this terrible parody RPG called Zenith (I love terrible games, especially parody genre) where you meet what can only be described as a geralt impersonator in a bathhouse.

"I'm on an epic quest!" he says" Honest! At least... i think i am. Maybe. I sorta got lost after i went off the main road and wound up here. Now i don't even remember where i am or what i'm doing".

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Gralian said:
The Witcher 3.

I love the witcher games. Seriously, i even read The Last Wish. Twice!

But when it came out, i got SERIOUSLY distracted by sidequests. Then life happened and i forgot where i was, what i should be doing, who anybody was, who the bad guys were and why i was looking after what i can only describe as the hunchback of notre dame's lovechild.

There was this great character in this terrible parody RPG called Zenith (I love terrible games, especially parody genre) where you meet what can only be described as a geralt impersonator in a bathhouse.

"I'm on an epic quest!" he says" Honest! At least... i think i am. Maybe. I sorta got lost after i went off the main road and wound up here. Now i don't even remember where i am or what i'm doing".
Yeah that's a common problem with open world games, and frankly it's hard to find a good solution to it. Consumers want lots of fun things to do in open world games, so if they leave them out, people complain about it being a big world full of nothing to do. But if they pack it with sidequests, it's VERY easy to just get totally sidetracked from the main plot, even though narratively it's like this epic, tense, life or death event, that in a film would immediately require the protagonist's attention. But in a game? ....meh, I can go wander over here and play a mini-game of fishing for several in game days. And go help this farmer with some pesky goblins eating his cabbages, and then get distracted by this easter egg hunting achievement to find 1000 pieces of griffon feathers, etc etc. And then people complain about the storyline not being engaging...but it's not engaging because THEY haven't engaged with it in 24 hours of playtime.

So...yeah, I feel the frustration with this gaming design problem, I just don't really know what the happy middle ground is for it.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Metroid 1. Honestly, the design has not aged well, but I kinda feel like I should finish it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silvanus said:
Metroid 1. Honestly, the design has not aged well, but I kinda feel like I should finish it.
If you have access to it, Zero Mission is much the same thing with some Quality of Life improvements added and a final chapter added on at the end(which may or may not be an improvement)

Jan 27, 2011
Honestly, there are so many to name in my case that any list I would put up would be woefully incomplete.

So...I'm going to put one here's that's VERY out of the box.

Someday I will TOTALLY finish making that really big RPG I started working on like 5 years ago (and have had an on-off relationship with making since then)

I've made 5 out of the 8 planned dungeons, I have plenty of the later cutscenes done...But I keep getting discouraged with two giant bugbears.

1) Making dungeons is the part of RPG design I enjoy least. And for this game, every single dungeon revolves around a central puzzle style or gimmick that makes designing these so much harder than normal.

Like...The dungeon I'm supposed to be working on next is centered on leaving behind party members temporarily. I have no idea how the heck I'm going do design a dungeon like that, that feels properly satisfying while also preventing the player from trapping themselves in it.

2) The combat system is absurdly complex, with dozens of skills and modifiers to skills that the player can swap in and out as they please. And I love that about it. But it means that there's a certain expectation that every battle will have some nifty tricks or strategies to use, which makes designing enemies require a TON of thinking.

See, this is why I prefer making smaller RPGs for contests with tight deadlines! It prevents me from overscoping!

Ugh...Mods as my witness, I WILL someday finish making that game.

Mar 30, 2010
Alien Isolation. I had really good fun with it when it first came out, but I then inadvertently heard about a game mechanic regarding the Alien - namely that it is constantly 'rubber-banded' to the player. And this completely ruined the experience for me. The Alien was no longer (well, it never was) something that I could outfox and escape from, something to be outwitted and evaded. I knew that nothing I could do would shake it from my tail, and that just sucked all the excitement from the game. Still, it is an Alien game and I must finish it. I just haven't gotten round to it yet.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen. I love the newer XCOM reboots, and there is absolutely no reason why I haven't finished War of the Chosen yet (especially as I have finished the vanilla XCOM 2 a bunch of times) but it is still stuck in my 'to-do' list. If memory serves I put in a save point shortly after tracking down and killing (finally killing, not beaten during a mission) the first of the Chosen, but for whatever reason I haven't picked it up since.

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. Still. Still. One of the first posts I made on this site was about being stuck on the Oil Refinery level of the Vegas 2 campaign. And guess what? I'm still there. -_-

The Talos Principle. A nice, soothing little puzzle game that's great to pick up for half and hour to just kill some time, but another one that I just haven't put the time into to finish. Sojourn fits into this category too. Need to finish that one as well.