GameSpy Says Publishers Didn't Pay the Multiplayer Bills

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I have a feeling that there are some parts of each of the sides of the story that are right. Gamespy has a different side with each dev/publisher. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the servers were unpaid and probably linked to other servers for different games that were being paid for(Hence the 4 years part). It also wouldn't surprise me if part of the price hike was to account for revenue lost(on the books) for time not paid for servers.

Let slip the hounds of litigation.

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
from what I've read gamespy sounds completely justified, and asking their customers to pay for the services they used is not "holding the servers hostage", its asking them to honor their agreements. As to why the did it now, its probably because they have NEW OWNERS.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Sadly, I feel most people will ignore the four years part and still whine about how they are entitled to play multiplayer forever regardless.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
RicoADF said:
True, although the low drain would be worth the price vs such bad PR for gamers losing their mp, the player doesn't care about the back story.
The players don't pay the server costs, publishers/devs do.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
RicoADF said:
True, although the low drain would be worth the price vs such bad PR for gamers losing their mp, the player doesn't care about the back story.
The players don't pay the server costs, publishers/devs do.
Obviously, but the player buys the games that pays the publishes to pay gamespy, and as much as gamespy may be in the right you seem to miss my point. That most players don't care, they just wanna play their game and thus will make a fuss.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
jollybarracuda said:
A little hard to tell who's to blame now.
Personally, I think the blame lays squarely at the feet of the developers/publishers for using GameSpy in the first place. All of my experiences with it have been just awful and if you don't give users the ability to use their own servers, then, no matter what system you're using, the multiplayer is eventualy going to die. No company is willing to pay the cost of maintaining the servers indefinitely.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
RicoADF said:
that doesn't add up, if its over unpaid bills then why did they wait (some as long as 4 years) to disconnect an unpaid service?
What doesn't add up? After a month, are they supposed to just shrug their shoulders and decide to do it indefinitely? It's odd that they let it slide this long, or even for a couple months, but there's nothing that doesn't add up about somebody finally just going "fuck it" and cutting everything off, doesn't really make any difference that it was 4 years instead of 2,3, or 5.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Somethingfake said:
gamespy, I wouldn't pay for a non existent service likes yours either.
Their contracts and agreements were with the publishers. It is likely that Gamespy's lawyers would at a minimum council that no, Gamespy could not do an end run around the publishers and talk directly to the public about the situation, at least not until the publishers publicly opened up on them. Until Gamespy finally pulls the plug and cuts off the server it remains a private business matter between the service provider and the games publisher.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Jadak said:
RicoADF said:
that doesn't add up, if its over unpaid bills then why did they wait (some as long as 4 years) to disconnect an unpaid service?
What doesn't add up? After a month, are they supposed to just shrug their shoulders and decide to do it indefinitely? It's odd that they let it slide this long, or even for a couple months, but there's nothing that doesn't add up about somebody finally just going "fuck it" and cutting everything off, doesn't really make any difference that it was 4 years instead of 2,3, or 5.
it doesnt add up that they left it 4 years if to cut the servers. If you dont pay your phone bill the company doesnt wait 4 years to disconnect your service.

However others have given plausible reasons.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Time gap of 4 years: The servers cost a miniscule amount to run and they were recently acquired by a new company which wants to cut off baggage.

GameSpy is a shitty service: Then the publishers shouldn't have used it in the first place. That doesn't justify not paying.

Massive cost: I'd assume after 4 years not paying, even a weekly lawn mowing service would get expensive.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Seems like a giant game of he said, she said. I'm not sure who I believe. Though I am dubious of Gamespy waiting four years to shut down unpaid servers.

night_chrono

Mar 13, 2008
Well then all the disgruntled devs can just sign up for gamespys "free" hosting plan:

http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
LoneWanderer said:
Flames66 said:
LoneWanderer said:
What? awwww. >_>
Looks like no more Republic commando online then.
People played Republic Commando Online?
Oh course. But it was like a unreal tournament clone, but still an entertaining one at that.
That was why I didn't play it. I have never been particularly in to competitive multi-player. I was hoping it would be like the single-player, but with other players taking the roles of my squad. I was very disappoint and never played it again.