GameStop Admits Fear of Digital Distribution

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I like having hard copies of things over digital download
I just feel much better if I can touch it

Though I am not of fan of gamestop but since gamecrazy is gone its the only store left near me

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I like how Gamestop is doom-saying as-though them closing down will be the end of the video game industry. Hate to break it to you Gamestop, but we got by just fine before you came along, and we'll get by just fine if you were to close all your shops right now. So you can stop speaking of digital distribution as-though it's the end of gaming.

Chakanus

Sep 8, 2009
I'm not particularly fond of digital distribution, save for some really really cheap games, that'd be impossible to miss (STEAM sales come to mind), and for indie games (gotta love The Humble Indie Bundle - thanks Escapist for letting me know).

BUT, I'd rather give all my money to any company that goes down that rabbit hole, than giving it to Gamestop. They have the nerve of selling a used copy of Folklore for 60 euros! I know the game is out of circulation, but they buy it for 15 and sell it for 60? That's not good business, that's highway robbery. They can go suck a lemon.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I only go into gamestop to buy used games when theres a sale on them, so I could care less if they go away. Get the parasitic secondary market out of here.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
baboon 101 said:
Problem with digital distribution for me is that when you get a new computer/console, they always bone you up the ass by forcing you to buy the same game again.

With a physical copy, when your console/computer breaks or becomes outdated, you don't lose your whole library of games.
Huh? With Steam that's not a problem. You just redownload them. no cost.

Apr 29, 2010
I'm with everyone who say they prefer hard copies. Just having a shelf on the wall filled with all my games gives me that special feeling. Sort of a "Hell yea, that's all mine." kind of feeling.

But if the market goes to digital distribution, so be it.

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
I prefer having a physical copy rather than digital... Imo digital and physical will both be around for a very long time.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
I prefer having a physical copy as well. I like people seeing how many games I have.

And I don't see the big complaint with GameStop. They can be a little more expensive, but with their $1 1yr warranties (and a good one too. I had a friend walk in the day before their warranty expired, put the disk on the counter, pulled out his keys, scratched it up in front of the manager, and got a new replacement.)

Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart may be cheaper, but GameStop has a more knowledgeable staff for suggestions, recommendations, etc. And I like the yearly membership that gets me GameInformer, a discount on used games, and higher trade in values.

But maybe it's just the ones I go to have such great service.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Just an aside, but I've found the packrat feeling has spilled over to Steam, I really like opening my games list and seeing it scroll on forever, and I have to admit, when there's a '5 or 6 games for £10' weekend deal on, I'll generally go for it even if I only want one, just for the hell of it, and knowing I've have a bunch of unknown titles to mess with later.

While I can see PC games dying in the high street, DD won't be the only choice, places like Amazon are still going to order hundreds of copies of new PC games, and they'll usually be half the price of GAME(stop) (UK/US).

Personally before I rush out and buy anything, I'll be doing some research, checking Play, Amazon, Game, and even places like Tesco, before I decide where I'm gonna be buying it, and if I'm not in a rush I'll leave it a couple of months and get it for closer to £15 somewhere.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
I didn't know gamestop was evil. I have always had excellent service from them. I mean, its better then buying my games at Wal Mart.

Hyrulian Hero

May 20, 2009
I, like a lot of gamers, want a hard copy of all of my games. If I'm paying $60 to play something, I wanna make sure my ability to play it doesn't depend on my internet connection being up.

Gamestop going out of business doesn't seem like a bad thing though. Actually, ever since I left that horrible job I've been kind of hoping they would. As for them becoming a game publisher, well that's just a scary thought...

Firetaffer

May 9, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
Well, I'm not sold on Digital Distribution yet. Having a Broadband limit of 75GB a month can be a bit much already, considering all the Youtubing, Online Gaming, WoW-ing, RPing, preparing to start a Blog-ing, webcomic reading and Google-ing is enough stress on my Broadband as it is.

Calumon: I understand nothing...
Well I pay top dollar for my 3Megabit / Second 20GB New Zealand plan, and I am totally sold on Digital Distribution. How the hell can you not be sold?!