GameStop Apologizes for Deus Ex Coupon Kerfuffle

Jan 23, 2009
I guess they forgot that they don't sell pre-owned copies of PC games. Honestly though if you were silly enough to buy a retail copy of Deus Ex instead of a digital one, then you probably won't care.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011

It is hamfisted that it happened and how they handled it once it had come out. Seriously that is not how you do it. So what they you pretty much gave the game away free now... they shouldn't at first have taken away the basic packed in coupon.

Sojoez

Nov 24, 2009
Reminds me of that one little vid on youtube called "Zero Originality". Anyone remember that one hour rant?

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
So $50 for a $50 game. Fair deal, but I'm still never buying from them after my pre-order of WH40K: SM comes in. If they'll do it once, they'll do it again, just watch.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
AC10 said:
Also, my copy came with an OnLive coupon in it. I wonder if I can still get this deal?
You can. I flat-out pre-ordered and got the OnLive coupon, and I still got called by Gamestop and told about the offer. Of course, keep in mind you have to do the buy 2 get one free right at the visit you get your gift card.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
I forgive them. As sleazy as it was (and it was sleazy) to break into boxes, there's absolutely no excuse for Square Enix trying to get away with giving away a competitive service and asking Gamestop to be okay. Gamestop made the wrong move and made it up to customers in the small way it could. They can't promote a competitive service, and no one should ask them too. Square Enix's apology from yesterday and Gamestop's retribution today should be the end of it, and the only people that will remain unhappy are just looking for a grudge to hold, imo.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Where was the outcry when Valve gave copies of Portal 2 on Steam when they bought the PS3 version? Granted it was not the same platform, but it was the same idea.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Sojoez said:
Reminds me of that one little vid on youtube called "Zero Originality". Anyone remember that one hour rant?
You mean the guy trying to sound like yahtzee, trying to use yahtzee's style of videos, and just slurring three quarters of his words into an un-comprehendable mess?

EDIT: It's also funny that EB has not pulled half this shit on us. When I trade in a console, they test it in front of me, and they check the Disk thoroughly, and they never push subscriptions too hard. I sat there for half a day talking to my friend while he worked (IT WAS A SLOW DAY FOR ME!) and he said EB tends to tell Gamestop to blow it out their ass in most aspects.

Dorano

Aug 29, 2011
I don't understand all of the hate towards Gamestop in every single thread. Gamestop made a bad PR choice but a good business one and when questioned why they gave a straightforward explanation and madeup for it with a decent gift. They weren't trying to sneak this by unnoticed.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase
am i missing something ir are they offering me to buy two games and only get 1?

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
i would be happy with this, good on gamestop, everyone makes mistakes and they are trying to set it right

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Am I the only one who doesnt find this to be remarkably "generous?"

Sorry we ripped open your game and stole your coupon for OnLive; but really, they had it coming, being y'know.. competition and all? We can't have competition. So, to apologize we've included a coupon for OUR store. Buy GameStop or don't buy at all.

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
AC10 said:
The $50 gift card is nice, but considering you can't sell used PC games the buy 2 used get one free deal is pretty hilarious. That being said, I own all 3 current gen consoles but surely some people don't.

Also, my copy came with an OnLive coupon in it. I wonder if I can still get this deal?
I'd say so, it's not like they know whether you got a coupon or not, depends on if the store took it out before selling it. Just take in your receipt and copy of the email when you get it and they pretty much have to honor it. Like the article says though, your local store may not know about it yet, so wait a few days if they don't. Besides, it would be even worse for business if they didn't honor the coupon for making a mess in the first place.