GameStop Chief Sheds More Light on Vintage Videogame Sales

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Supertegwyn said:
Wow, people really like complaining.

This sounds like a great idea.
>.> my probelm with it

if they where gonna do this, WHY did they stop carrying these games to begin with, if they had any brains at all they would have been doing this already not 'oh fuck, everything's going digital, quick, cash in on the collectors!'

which is really all this is

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Lunar Templar said:
Supertegwyn said:
Wow, people really like complaining.

This sounds like a great idea.
>.> my probelm with it

if they where gonna do this, WHY did they stop carrying these games to begin with, if they had any brains at all they would have been doing this already not 'oh fuck, everything's going digital, quick, cash in on the collectors!'

which is really all this is
Pretty much my thoughts, that said it would be interesting to see if they wind up carrying any old Dreamcast stuff, I've been trying to re-build my collection. Likewise getting another old PS-2 to put in storage (already have one backup) for when my PS-3 backward's compadibility finally breaks would not be a bad thing.

That said, it will be interesting to see if Gamestop's influance raises or lowers prices.

Dondonalien44

Dec 10, 2009
Why is Gamestop selling old games and consoles bad news? Because strictly speaking about services offered, retro stuff is the only advantage independent game stores have over Gamestop. I love my local indie media shops, and I hate to see them dropping like flies after giving me so many years of awesome prices and friendly personal interactions. Maybe you don't have any indie stores where you live, but I don't see how anything Gamestop can offer (considering their trademark pricing models) could provide better service to me as a customer than Amazon.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well, I've got an N64 with a somewhat crappy controller, and I'm looking to get some of my former library back.

I also foolishly sold my original Xbox before I found out that the 360 wasn't backwards compatible with everything (I will play you again Destroy All Humans 2, somehow, we will be together again!)

And I could even use a new PS2 controller.

I'm all for Gamestop going vintage.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Count me in, I'd love to find some old N64 stuff, heck, I still need an expansion pack for my 64, and if they made one of those available, I'd be like maple syrup, all over that.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Currently the only place I can reliably get a good old game from is well....GoG of course. I would love to have the physical disk/cartiridge of an old game. Currently the oldest game I have is the original Persona, but since I can't read japanese I'm SoL.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
*Strokes beard*

You know most people don't still have the old consoles sitting around... so why no get into selling emulation machines as well? Call it the.... GAMESTATION?

Birdfalcon

Jul 29, 2011
....if they are gonna rip off play and trade they should really rip off thier better business model too..still though would be nice to see retro games near me agian

Apr 5, 2008
This sounds like a great idea. The key to its success I think will likely be pricing, followed by the quality of any second hand items. A retro game would be hard pressed to sell for anywhere near a new title. For a major retailer to consider such a thing is amazing itself, I hope they get it right.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Is it just me or was Gamestop already doing this at one time? I don't know if it was just my local store but I remember seeing classic cartridges on sale as far back as Atari 2600 cartridges and some systems. This was a few years ago, but it wasn't that long ago.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Start carrying Dreamcast merch again, then we'll talk.

Sega's fucking up with bringing JSR to XBLA, and I need a new copy to hold me over.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Well, we don't have GameStop over here, so I'm not really bothered either way. But why are people complaining about it? It's pretty hard to find old school games outside of the internet, this'll make it easier. What's the problem?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I like the idea a lot. I still remember when the game stores, before Gamestop took them over, sold PS1 and N64 games. If they were to sell the classic stuff like that again then I'd jump all over it. I mean while Gamestop charges outrageous prices a lot of times they probably would still be cheaper than buying the classic games online after shipping and everything. So I'm all for the idea 100%. Especially if they start carrying Dreamcast stuff again because then all will be forgiven by Gamestop in my eyes.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
While the concept originally brings the butterflies in my stomach. "I can play my NES megaman again?" but then I ponder......the last time I did a trade in at Gamestop I walked in with $300 of very well conditioned videogame equipment and then I walked right back out with it when they insulted me by offering $20 for the whole pile. Its worth more in my closet as sentimental value then that jeez.

Do I think this is a great idea? absolutely.

Do I think gamestop will find a way to pillage your wallet and leave you stranded with ruined antiquated hardware? 90% likely.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I hope they follow through with this because I have been thinking of getting into retro gaming for a while now and the the closest store that sells retro games and consoles is about an hour from my house and I rarely have a chance to go, but I have about three gamestops that I visit at least once a month.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Pass. I don't have a problem with this, I just prefer my local Mom and Pop store for vintage games. The one thing that might persuade me is using store credit for vintage games. But their selection will have to be damn good to compete with local stores that already cater to that.