GameStop Confirms Possible Breach Involving Stolen Credit Card Info

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
GameStop Confirms Possible Breach Involving Stolen Credit Card Info

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1396/1396212.jpgIf you've ever ordered anything from GameStop's website, your data may have been stolen.

It sounds like there's a good chance that GameStop was the victim of a hack sometime in the recent past. The news comes from the KrebsOnSecurity blog [https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/04/gamestop-com-investigating-possible-breach/], which reports that both customer data and credit card info could have been compromised. After contacting GameStop, the site was given the following statement:

"GameStop recently received notification from a third party that it believed payment card data from cards used on the GameStop.com website was being offered for sale on a website. That day a leading security firm was engaged to investigate these claims. Gamestop has and will continue to work non-stop to address this report and take appropriate measures to eradicate any issue that may be identified."

Two financial industry sources told Krebs that they had received alerts from "received alerts from a credit card processor" that said that the compromise likely took place between mid-September 2016 and the first week of February 2017. Those sources said that they believe the compromised data includes all of the following data:

Customer card number
Expiration date
Name
Address
CVV2 number

GameStop did not comment on the timeline of the suspected breach, and did not confirm what sort of data may have been compromised. GameStop's statement on the matter reads,

"We regret any concern this situation may cause for our customers. GameStop would like to remind its customers that it is always advisable to monitor payment card account statements for unauthorized charges. If you identify such a charge, report it immediately to the bank that issued the card because payment card network rules generally state that cardholders are not responsible for unauthorized charges that are timely reported."

We'll keep an eye on this situation and update with any new information that becomes available. For now, if you've made a purchase at GameStop's website recently, you should scrutinize your account for any unauthorized activity.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Just the website? I know I have bought things from my local store, but I haven't ever used the website. So I should be good as long as it's just the site.

Otherwise, make sure you keep an eye on your account transactions. Most banks should have an app that lets you check that with ease. It's probably wise to take advantage of that if you aren't already.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
It'd be good to know if I were impacted or not. I've ordered in the past but in the recent past its mostly been in-store. I checked my online accounts order history, and it's blank. I don't know what the time frame is, but that's wrong if it's for the life of the account. I went to check saved payment methods, and none were there.

Ether,
A) They purged out the old cards when they found the problem meaning my info is out.
B) They purged out expired cards, and I haven't purchased anything since my cards were replaced last year.

I'd like to know if I was a part of Group A or Group B.

Scytail

Jan 26, 2010
If you maintain any sort of online presence it's just safer to assume any information about you has already been stolen.