Gamestop giving used Arkham City buyers Catwoman code

Gendug

Jan 23, 2010
So GameStop is finally giving it's customers an actual reason to pay $57.00 for a used game as opposed to $60.00 for a new one. It makes sense, GameStop only makes around $10 profit on new game sales while they can almost double that on a used game, even after paying $10 per copy to get the Catwoman code. It's actually a brilliant move and now WB actually gets a piece of the sale up front.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Lyri said:
Ordinaryundone said:
...what has changed? The only difference is that you'll be giving your money to one "multi-billion dollar corporation" instead of another. Gamestop isn't trying to make a stand, they are trying to keep customers buying used games so they can keep their profit margins high.

Go fight the power somewhere else Che Guevera
*claps furiously*

Thank you for being level headed and not blind to this, Gamestop isn't trying to save your money they're trying to take it from you and not give it to Warner Brothers.
Customer best interests don't come into it.
And in the process the producers can go suck it. Anything that has this effect is good. Ereryone on this site with the opinion that online passes and payed on disk "DL"C are a good thing disgust me. You're what's wrong with the games industry, you're so nice and happy to bend over to the producers and their money spinning ideas that they can get away with it all. When you buy a game decades from now and every level past the first one is payed on disc DLC it's your fault.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
In before senseless hatred of GameStop

I like this move. It takes EA's dick move of the online pass, and bashes them for it.
If they're buying the codes how are they bashing them for it? I guess by taking the 60 dollars the publisher would have made and making it ten? And yet they were happy enough with that ten in the first place...

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
cookyy2k said:
And in the process the producers can go suck it. Anything that has this effect is good. Ereryone on this site with the opinion that online passes and payed on disk "DL"C are a good thing disgust me. You're what's wrong with the games industry, you're so nice and happy to bend over to the producers and their money spinning ideas that they can get away with it all. When you buy a game decades from now and every level past the first one is payed on disc DLC it's your fault.
The producers still get their money broney. And Catwoman isn't on the disk. The only difference now is that two companies make a profit instead of one.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
If Gamestop is buying the codes from the publisher then the publisher has won. This isn't a win for Gamestop or consumers. I really doubt Gamestop is paying for this, they are likely cutting the trade in value for $10 so in the end, it's the new buyer who pays for the pass.

The best way for Gamestop to fight back would be for them to sell the game for $10 less. With the Edge card customer could save $20 (off the new price) if they don't care about the online pass content. This way would sell fewer online passes.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ordinaryundone said:
...what has changed? The only difference is that you'll be giving your money to one "multi-billion dollar corporation" instead of another. Gamestop isn't trying to make a stand, they are trying to keep customers buying used games so they can keep their profit margins high.

Bravo! It's good to know SOMEone has their head one straight.

Shaoken

May 15, 2009
cookyy2k said:
Lyri said:
Ordinaryundone said:

*claps furiously*

Thank you for being level headed and not blind to this, Gamestop isn't trying to save your money they're trying to take it from you and not give it to Warner Brothers.
If only I had a certain trollface about u and being mad right now.

For starters; the content is not on the disc. Secondly, you're taking money away from the people who made the game and just giving to another corporation who suprise suprise don't actually care about you. At least Rocksteady wants to make good games, even if they have to deal with EA to do it.

Also, stop with the hyberbole and the flaming. It just takes your initial point (dislike of online passes) and associates it with blind entitled fanboyisms. Insulting everyone who disagrees with you is just going to add you to the ignore filter.

OT: People don't seem to get that Gamestop is still paying the online pass, and they are passing the cost onto you. And so many of you are blinded by your childish rage you can't see you're being played like a violin. Hell, it's probable that this has all been worked out between EA and Gamestop; EA plays the big bad villian "oppressing" the common gamer, Gamestop swoops in and acts like their sticking up for the underdog, and both of them make lot's of money off of it.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
cookyy2k said:
Excuse me?
Are you saying "I disgust you" because I noticed one user has pointed out that neither company is really playing the "Customer best interest" card?
You really don't seem to have grasped what I was saying. Get off your pedestal.

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
Gamestop doing the opposite of screwing the consumers for profit? Dear god, it's a sign of the apocolypse!

But seriously this is probably illegal unless they're purchasing the passes in bulk and I expect a lawsuit.

the spud

May 2, 2011
I know Gamestop isn't really concerned with the ethics of used games sales, and that this is simply a business decision, but it is still nice to see a company getting punished for trying to abuse its customers.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
Umm... Kay. Since I was a former employee, along with I'm sure half of you (though I may have been more recent, hence this), I'm down to shed some light:

So okay, the codes are not taken out of the boxes, they are generated and put on the receipt, all this does is save WB money.

GAMESTOP ONLY PUTS THE CODE ON NEW PURCHASE RECEIPTS.

Used games won't have the code. So yeah, WB just didn't have to print out of a bunch of little codes and kill trees, Gamestop didn't pull a fast one or anything.

Sorry OP.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
Actually guys, I think Gamestop is actually BUYING tons of codes from Warner Bros. themselves because they know $10 is nothing compared to the MASSIVE sales and profit of used games their little trick will generate

and i applaud them for it. this benefits all three parties (buyer, publisher, retailer), which is AWESOME

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Lyri said:
Ordinaryundone said:

*claps furiously*

You see I DON'T CARE what their reasoning is. GAMESTOP maybe getting my money but it won't be nearly as much as I would have given WB. They are NOT screwing me over and that is the difference here.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
ImSkeletor said:
You see I DON'T CARE what their reasoning is. GAMESTOP maybe getting my money but it won't be nearly as much as I would have given WB. They are NOT screwing me over and that is the difference here.
What?
You're seemingly oblivious to how this whole thing works.

If you buy a used game, WB doesn't get the money.
You give them $10 for the code.

Instead Gamestop has bought the code and giving it out "free" and tempting to people to buy a used copy from them instead of elsewhere.
How much is a used copy over there again, $40-$50?

I don't quite get how you figured you're giving GS less.

mrc390

Jan 31, 2011
So.. Gamestop are trying to increase there profits by screwing over game developers.. And people are siding with gamestop? WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO????

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
In before senseless hatred of GameStop

I like this move. It takes EA's dick move of the online pass, and bashes them for it.
Confirmed: Games will end in 20 years.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
AnotherAvatar said:
Umm... Kay. Since I was a former employee, along with I'm sure half of you (though I may have been more recent, hence this), I'm down to shed some light:

So okay, the codes are not taken out of the boxes, they are generated and put on the receipt, all this does is save WB money.

GAMESTOP ONLY PUTS THE CODE ON NEW PURCHASE RECEIPTS.

Used games won't have the code. So yeah, WB just didn't have to print out of a bunch of little codes and kill trees, Gamestop didn't pull a fast one or anything.

Sorry OP.
Since you didn't read the article I'll just drop this sentence here for you:

GameStop announced in a memo that used and pre-owned consumers would be getting codes

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Lyri said:
ImSkeletor said:
What?
You're seemingly oblivious to how this whole thing works.

If you buy a used game, WB doesn't get the money.
You give them $10 for the code.

Instead Gamestop has bought the code and giving it out "free" and tempting to people to buy a used copy from them instead of elsewhere.
How much is a used copy over there again, $40-$50?

I don't quite get how you figured you're giving GS less.
Okay I SPEND 60 dollars for the game from WB. I spend Less then 50 if I buy it used from gamestop. Since there is no code I am spending more then ten dollars less. That is how this works.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
ImSkeletor said:
Okay I SPEND 60 dollars for the game from WB. I spend Less then 50 if I buy it used from gamestop. Since there is no code I am spending more then ten dollars less. That is how this works.
Then you admit that you are entirely motivated by self-interest and greed, rather than trying to prove some point about corporations screwing you over?