GameStop Honoring Ancient Duke Nukem Forever Pre-orders

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, gamestop is so nice, guaranteeing people who payed five dollars years ago are going to buy the game at a Gamestop instead of another store or online.... .>_>

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
HankMan said:
You should check out off-topic more often. Apparently I'm a very good <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.287908-How-is-the-Vietnam-War-taught-in-the-U-S#11386545> story teller
I stand corrected.

EDIT: Awesome story.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
At current inflation rate, wouldn't half of those preorders be worth 3 thousand dollars by now?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I was promised my father's deposit in his will. He told me that if he can't get DNF, then his son should. Excuse me while I talk to a guy I know in an italian restaurant.

Afterthought:
If someone decided to instead invest that five dollars into Gearbox Software back then, they would have enough money now to buy their own GameStop.
Food for thought.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Dude the Duke is good. 0_o And I don't even like him
Kopikatsu said:
Daveman said:
Good luck finding anyone who didn't rip their receipt to shreds out of frustration by now. If you haven't, my god you sure have some restraint.
Every receipt I ever had since I was like 12 has gone in there.
You are now my hero.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I'm sure all 20 people who somehow have a readable receipt for their deposit are going to love this.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
So every game at Gamestop has a code number. They're usually six digits that you can see on the label with the price. As long as that code didn't change over the years, the pre-order should be in the systems.

How/why would it change? Well, I suppose that's up to the developers. If they announced a Duke Nukem game years ago, the game probably got a code. If the developers didn't ask to pull the game off the system while they dealt with all the stuff that the game has gone through, then yeah, it should be in the system. if not...well, then it's not.

But as far as I know, even if the code was pulled out of the system, the system should recognize that so and so made a pre-order of a game that's no longer in the system and your money should STILL be there. They can usually pull it out with the receipt or phone number you gave for the reservation. But remember that the money stays in the store you pre-ordered the game. So don't expect to go to your local Gamestop demanding the money from that pre-order you made at that one Gamestop from your childhood.

Mischlings

Feb 18, 2011
In their place, what I would have done (for the advertising and publicity stunt) is offer the game free to anyone who has a pre-order for the game from anywhere from before the game was announced by Gearbox. Like other people have said, there are very few people who have kept the receipt, so it wouldn't cost all that much, but what about the advertising and PR potential? I think someone missed a big opportunity.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Haha, real funny GameStop. The way I see it, three things happen here:

1. People lost their old receipt and don't get their deposit counted.
2. People discarded their old receipt in frustration at the game being declared dead when 3D Realms shut down and don't get their deposit counted.
3. People still have their old receipt, but thanks to GameStop's shitty paper and ink, it's faded beyond being readable and the customer doesn't get their deposit counted.

So no matter what, GameStop doesn't actually have to honor any of the old pre-orders. They just get to look awesome to those who don't know any better by saying they will.
Got any evidence for point #3? What's different about Gamestop's receipts as compared to any other store?

rayen020

May 20, 2009
mjc0961 said:
3. People still have their old receipt, but thanks to GameStop's shitty paper and ink, it's faded beyond being readable and the customer doesn't get their deposit counted.
they actually use heated paper receipts. It isn't ink perse, well it is but it's a special kind that's already in the paper. It gets hit by a tiny laser printer that heats the ink making it appear.

Your argument is still valid though. The ink cools and disappears again after about a week at room temperature. so regardless any receipts from more than a month ago are just gonna be blank sheets of paper.

OT;

oh wait i already was...

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
Daveman said:
Good luck finding anyone who didn't rip their receipt to shreds out of frustration by now. If you haven't, my god you sure have some restraint.
Actually, good luck finding any receipt that's still readable. If they used thermoprint paper, chances are it's just a slightly beige piece of thin paper by now.

Jan 29, 2009
Kinda sad that we consider something that is logical and ethical such a positive change that it demands a headline...
Cool, though, anyways.

Cyclone of Mystery

Mar 21, 2008
Teiraa said:
they should have you registered in their system
Not necessarily. They were just getting around to making a database accessible via computer just before I quit...the day after I worked the Halo 3 midnight release. Since then, the system's been up and down and upgraded. Data is lost all the time.

YoungPeaches

Nov 15, 2010
It would be terrible if they didn't honor the money that was deposited. However, I'm sure not many people still have their receipts.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hey.. I have my preorder receipt still yet. Only problem is that after 12 friggen years the Ink on the receipt is basically unreadable. You can tell its from gamestop, you can see the date, but serial numbers, Item names, amount paid, receipt numbers are faded in and out to the point of being illegible.

I guess I wont get my 40$ worth of credit. Its kinda of funny, I totally forgot about having the preorder for roughly the last decade and didnt ever think about it till I read this. Then I remembered where I stashed the preorder receipt and sure enough there it was in all its ancient unreadable glory.

What a waste.