GameStop Plans to Offer DLC In-Store in 2010

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
GameStop Plans to Offer DLC In-Store in 2010

Finally, downloadable content comes to everyone's favorite brick and mortar retail chain. Wait...

In a statement from GameStop COO Paul Raines at the BMO Capital Markets conference in New York today, the retailer plans to offer the purchase of Xbox Live and Playstation Network downloadable content of large market titles from their stores. The service, created in conjunction with Microsoft and Sony, will be begin testing in early 2010.

The content will be available when you purchase the original title from your friendly local GameStop. The transaction can be completed with any cash or credit, including trade-ins, at the GameStop cash registers and the hardware providers will then initiate the download on the consumer's console at home.

"If you love X-Men Origins: Wolverine," Raines said. "Imagine being able to take home the physical copy at launch, plus have a few costumes and villains sent to your PS3 waiting for you when you get home."

Raines added that this service is part of GameStop's overall digital distribution strategy. Full downloads of complete games is not their focus as they are betting that gamers are more inclined to enhance beloved games with DLC than to try downloading untested new games.

While it seems like a good move for the largest game retailer to begin expanding into providing more downloadable content, I wonder why this service is necessary. It's quite a simple process to download the content you want from the console.

On the other hand, if you know that you are going to buy all of the DLC offered when you purchase the game, this will only make the process more convenient. We gamers are a lazy bunch and removing all possible stops between games and our wallets is probably a good thing. It is also a viable alternative for those of us without credit cards, such as conspiracy theorists who don't want to connect to the hivemind and children.

Actually, the more I think about it, this is a genius move for GameStop. Now I don't have to bother converting U.S dollars into points or "buttons" or whatever fake currency the console companies have been trying to force us to purchase all these years.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.reuters.com/article/PBLSHG/idUSN1245868320091112]

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
I'm assuming this has something to do with the amount of gamers who may not have a good internet connection. If so, then that's great news! It's about time they got to share the fun

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Greg Tito said:
While it seems like a good move for the largest game retailer to begin expanding into providing more downloadable content, I wonder why this service is necessary. It's quite a simple process to download the content you want from the console.
Something like this would be a godsend for me - I have a Visa Electron because I don't trust myself to not overspend, but that means I can't buy DLC without borrowing one of my mate's "proper" credit cards. If I could just buy it in store, that'd be brilliant.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
"will then initiate the download on the consumer's console at HOME"

How is this helpful at all. All they are doing is pressing the download button for you. The only way I see them benefiting form this is by providing EBGames exculsive DLC that only they can download to your machine that you will not be able to normall see on PSN or XBox live.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, umm. Thats good for people. Not really. I can just DL it myself. Heck, I can do it from my phone via Xbox.com.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I have trouble understanding why this is necessary...

Now if it DIDN'T require my 'box to be hooked up to the internet to do it I'd be happier.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
This smells like that one Best Buy's strategy of charging extra to upgrade an XBox's software, before it is even sold, without the customer's choice. I guess the one good thing is with this you can buy DLC with cash, but otherwise they are going to be providing a service anybody can do at home.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I actually think this is a great move. Currently I can't get connected to Live, which means I have a pile of DLC for Dragon Age just sitting on my desk, waiting for me to get off my butt and purchase a new wireless network adapter. I'd much rather just have it on disc form so I didn't have to do this. In the long run, it'll save me money, I think.

RoseBridge

Oct 27, 2009
Sounds alright to me, if its way to get way from Microsoft points.
ex.just pay like 3.99 for some content instead of 15.00 for 1200 points when you just want one thing.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Spaceman_Spiff said:
Cool, so long as the prices are the same.
They won't be.

This is Gamestop. They'll be higher and you'll have to preorder to get them or else they'll be 'out of stock'.

samsonguy920 said:
This smells like that one Best Buy's strategy of charging extra to upgrade an XBox's software, before it is even sold, without the customer's choice. I guess the one good thing is with this you can buy DLC with cash, but otherwise they are going to be providing a service anybody can do at home.
It is hard as hell to work at Best Buy. On the one hand I know why they do that with XBox's and various other hardware because I meet 'those people' who really don't get it. On the other hand you don't need more than one Xbox or one version of Each laptop presetup each day to cater to that vast minority of people.

I hate when I look up a laptop and see we only have 3 of them because that means all 3 have 79 to 99 dollars in 'pre-setup' done on them which bothers me because not a lot of people want to buy something that someone else has already got their grubby fingers all over.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Can't wait to hear a manager tell me about this. "So you're trying to sell me DLC in store that I still have to download?" "You can trade-in stuff for it though." "When have ever done that?"

Then again I only go to gamestop for ps2 games that aren't at walmart, as I can get any new game at walmart before I can at gamestop.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
theultimateend said:
Spaceman_Spiff said:
Cool, so long as the prices are the same.
They won't be.

This is Gamestop. They'll be higher and you'll have to preorder to get them or else they'll be 'out of stock'.
Beat me to it.

I was hoping that digital distribution would kill gameslop but I guess they're going to adapt and even find more ways to separate naive kids from their money months before they have to give anything back in return.