Mar 18, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
WeepingAngels said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
WeepingAngels said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Kurt Cristal said:
inb4 hordes of people ready to ignore article contents and bash XB1 anyway.

OT: I am really really looking forward to see how they handle this. Let's hope we get something more concrete soon.
I agree, its an interesting thought that Microsoft is trying to work with the used game industry rather than fight it like developers and publishers have been doing. I guess we still have to wait for e3 to get details
They are not entitled to any money from used sales and this end run around the consumer is irritating.
Its not like this stuff is all concrete. All I'm saying is that maybe if they work something out, we won't have to deal with bullshit like dlc codes for new games
YOU, the consumer, don't even have a voice in this negotiation in the first place. You just get whatever bone they throw you.

We are going to find if Gamestop really means it when they say "Power to the Players".
Yes I do...? I have the choice to not buy their shit. Which I won't. I don't shop from Game Stop and I don't like Microsoft too much either. I have plenty of options. I can switch to only using my pc for gaming and buy all my games off Steam. I have a choice and I will go with the ps4 because at the moment, they won't be locking games to accounts in the first place and Sony has been good to me so far. Honestly, the console barely even exists yet
Yes, you have that choice and you better hope that Sony doesn't cave too.

I laughed at the whole PC thing, the used game market has already been destroyed on PC. Steam is the very model Microsoft is using with one time activation codes. The only difference is that Microsoft is "allowing" you to trade in your used games but they will devalue them to the point that no one would bother to do so and by next gen all three console manufacturers will be following Steams model (minus the sales).
Your end of the (gaming) world predictions are amazing.

I don't see how what Microsoft is doing is similar to Steam. If it was, the xbox live arcade would be filled with downloadable games that undercut retail prices in order to get you to buy something you can't resell. Microsoft thinks they can force their customers to do what they want but they can't. Wait a minute, how did this argument start? *looks back a first post* Oh yeah, I said I'm interested to see how this works out because I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WILL WORK. I'm not willing to commit to anonymous sources on the Internet and the doomsday crowd mentality people have

Also I see you joined recently. Welcome to the escapist! Its just like this every day...

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
PoolCleaningRobot said:
WeepingAngels said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
WeepingAngels said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
WeepingAngels said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Kurt Cristal said:

OT: I am really really looking forward to see how they handle this. Let's hope we get something more concrete soon.
I agree, its an interesting thought that Microsoft is trying to work with the used game industry rather than fight it like developers and publishers have been doing. I guess we still have to wait for e3 to get details
They are not entitled to any money from used sales and this end run around the consumer is irritating.
Its not like this stuff is all concrete. All I'm saying is that maybe if they work something out, we won't have to deal with bullshit like dlc codes for new games
YOU, the consumer, don't even have a voice in this negotiation in the first place. You just get whatever bone they throw you.

We are going to find if Gamestop really means it when they say "Power to the Players".
Yes I do...? I have the choice to not buy their shit. Which I won't. I don't shop from Game Stop and I don't like Microsoft too much either. I have plenty of options. I can switch to only using my pc for gaming and buy all my games off Steam. I have a choice and I will go with the ps4 because at the moment, they won't be locking games to accounts in the first place and Sony has been good to me so far. Honestly, the console barely even exists yet
Yes, you have that choice and you better hope that Sony doesn't cave too.

I laughed at the whole PC thing, the used game market has already been destroyed on PC. Steam is the very model Microsoft is using with one time activation codes. The only difference is that Microsoft is "allowing" you to trade in your used games but they will devalue them to the point that no one would bother to do so and by next gen all three console manufacturers will be following Steams model (minus the sales).
Your end of the (gaming) world predictions are amazing.

I don't see how what Microsoft is doing is similar to Steam. If it was, the xbox live arcade would be filled with downloadable games that undercut retail prices in order to get you to buy something you can't resell. Microsoft thinks they can force their customers to do what they want but they can't. Wait a minute, how did this argument start? *looks back a first post* Oh yeah, I said I'm interested to see how this works out because I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WILL WORK. I'm not willing to commit to anonymous sources on the Internet and the doomsday crowd mentality people have

Also I see you joined recently. Welcome to the escapist! Its just like this every day...
You don't see how this is like Steam?

Steam:

You buy a physical copy of a Steam required game. The important part of your purchase is the activation code. You input that code into Steam and you get the option to install from the disc. Other than installation, the disc is not needed.

Xbone:

You buy a physical copy of a Xbone game. The important part of your purchase is the activation code. You input that code into XBL and you get the option to install from the disc. Other than installation, the disc is not needed.

Also, if you think the entire used game market won't be changed if Microsoft succeeds here, what do you think will happen? Remember, it's the publishers who want this and publishers extend beyond one platform.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
WeepingAngels said:

Steam:

You buy a physical copy of a Steam required game. The important part of your purchase is the activation code. You input that code into Steam and you get the option to install from the disc. Other than installation, the disc is not needed.

Xbone:

You buy a physical copy of a Xbone game. The important part of your purchase is the activation code. You input that code into XBL and you get the option to install from the disc. Other than installation, the disc is not needed.

Also, if you think the entire used game won't be changed if Microsoft succeeds here, what do you think will happen? Remember, it's the publishers who want this and publishers extend beyond one platform.
And you don't see how none of that is set in stone? These are rumors for console that won't even launch for more than 6 months. And for the record, I don't give 2 shits about the used game industry and how this will affect it. You can sit here and speculate all you want but it won't amount to anything

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
PoolCleaningRobot said:
WeepingAngels said:

Steam:

Xbone:

Also, if you think the entire used game won't be changed if Microsoft succeeds here, what do you think will happen? Remember, it's the publishers who want this and publishers extend beyond one platform.
And you don't see how none of that is set in stone? These are rumors for console that won't even launch for more than 6 months. And for the record, I don't give 2 shits about the used game industry and how this will affect it. You can sit here and speculate all you want but it won't amount to anything
So your only defense is: It isn't confirmed yet and that even if it is confirmed, you don't care about consumer rights so it won't matter to you. I think we have nothing more to say to each other on this topic. I like Big Macs and you don't, end of.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
WeepingAngels said:
So your only defense is: It isn't confirmed yet and that even if it is confirmed, you don't care about consumer rights so it won't matter to you. I think we have nothing more to say to each other on this topic. I like Big Macs and you don't, end of.
Pretty much. If you don't want to talk about this in level manner as in "this could lead to bla bla and of course bla" but would rather talk about how distressed you are about the future of vidya gamz then whats the point? And your point about the used game industry changing was only made to appeal to my emotional side which isn't the part of my brain that I'm using to think about this topic. This article about someone who's job depends on the used game industry saying Microsoft isn't a bad guy and you're here telling me that can't be true but another article from an unknown source says Microsoft is the scourge of used games and you think it has to be true. My point, is that both of these articles have the same level of truth and I genuinely want to see how this will work in the future

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
PoolCleaningRobot said:
WeepingAngels said:
vidya gamz
Oh, for fuck sake. I was going to let this go but you have to be like this.

Ok, so it is your belief that Microsoft has not confirmed the use of one time activation codes (just like Steam). Well:

Xbox One games will require a one-time activation code to use, but you'll still be able to trade and sell them online, Microsoft tells Kotaku?although we're not 100% clear on the details.

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you?d like," Harrison said.
http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Want a different source:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/192720/Xbox_Ones_preowned_games_strategy_involves_a_singleuse_code.php

It's understandable though that you are confused about what Microsoft has or has not confirmed. This entire reveal has been a mess. There it is though, just like Steam with the one time activation code thing.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
As used games go, so goes Gamestop
and as Gamestop goes, so goes the publishers.
Microsoft has bought the full weight of the video game crash upon us.

Rev up those backlogs gentlemen, it's going to be a long winter.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Toilet said:
DVS BSTrD said:
As used games go, so goes Gamestop
and as Gamestop goes, so goes the publishers.

Not sure if that was intentional or a freudian slip but still nicely played.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
My suspicion is MS will give Gamestop the option to generate new codes for used games for a cut of the deal, much the same way that EA's infamous online passes and season passes work. So on a $60 game Gamestop will sell it for $55 used with a new code. They will split this with MS/Developers. The ones who will lose will be the saps who are selling or trading in their used Xbone games, and the Gamestop buy price of those will be less than half what current games are. Gamestop won't lose any money on this deal. MS's cut will come out of the pocket of the consumer who is trading in, not theirs.

And if it doesn't work, Gamestop will just put the XBones and XBone games in that dark dusty back corner of the store where they have been keeping the PSVita's.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
faefrost said:
My suspicion is MS will give Gamestop the option to generate new codes for used games for a cut of the deal, much the same way that EA's infamous online passes and season passes work. So on a $60 game Gamestop will sell it for $55 used with a new code. They will split this with MS/Developers. The ones who will lose will be the saps who are selling or trading in their used Xbone games, and the Gamestop buy price of those will be less than half what current games are. Gamestop won't lose any money on this deal. MS's cut will come out of the pocket of the consumer who is trading in, not theirs.

And if it doesn't work, Gamestop will just put the XBones and XBone games in that dark dusty back corner of the store where they have been keeping the PSVita's.
Yes, they will try to make it seem like the consumer isn't paying anything more than they did this gen.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
WeepingAngels said:
If Gamestop doesn't stand up for consumer rights now, I will gladly watch them go bankrupt. I won't be supporting Xbone and I expect Gamestop to take a stand with consumers like me.
they never stood up for consumers, so expecting them to stand up now is crazy.
gamestp should have been bancrupt long ago, but capitalism does not punish who is worth it, only that which refuses to find al imit of abuse your costumers can take.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
But this all comes from "sources" who, while presumably in the know, aren't quite the same as an official confirmation from Microsoft.
When the source is a vague "insider," I'm assuming it's a clerk at a Gamestop who's looking to cause some angsting. I'm not saying these rumours won't turn out to be true, but I'd like something a little more concrete before I whip out the pitchfork.

Kurt Cristal said:

I'm assuming you mean how they handle used sales but I'm going with the other version of handling this, and the biggest issue right now is that they're not handling it very well. An uninformative reveal, stupid execs (Who may or may not be right), and a "no comment" policy is probably doing more harm than any actual technology involved. We're already seeing a spike in Wii U sales that it seems we can at least partially attribute to this boondoggle.

WashAran said:
If microsoft just had something like a conference, where they could have given clear statments about such issues!
XD

Zombie_Moogle said:
Am I the only one who's immediate thought was that this is Microsoft trying to convince GameStop not to put the XBone shelf behind a wall of fire?
Even if they had DRM that kicked you in the groin every time you played a used or borrowed game, they would make an exception for Gamestop, which is why all this crap is a joke anyway.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Toilet said:

Between the rescheduled 2012 apocalypse and the invasion of the lizard people, I think we'll be too busy to notice the gaming crash. Especially since Skynet will probably control the media.

Demon Messiah

Jun 22, 2009
I, for one, will be cheering the death of console gaming... Maybe then Gamestop would start stocking PC games again... (bloody ingrates at Gamestop)

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Neither is this statement from Bartel, but at least it isn't anonymous and as the president of GameStop, it's a good bet that he has some level of insight into the situation above and beyond most of us.
We have every reason to still be suspicious. Gamestop and Microsoft are buddies over this and the Gamestop president knows something we don't? Objectively speaking, that means two notoriously anti-consumer companies just gave gamers evil grins in tandem. Just like with the EA and online pass thing, anyone who celebrates now is a moron.

Also I should note I am calling it/called it:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.408606-Gamestop-conspiracy#17073693

Just like I told you all how the Xbox Unveiling would go down:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.408492-Xbox-Infinity-unveiling-in-less-than-10-hours?page=1

YES, I am a time traveler and I am here to warn you about the future.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Kurt Cristal said:

Every time I read a post like this it annoys me, most of those hordes of people have the common decency to back up their arguments, you're just posting the same humorless unironic trite post I see in countless other threads. When and if a post is made that doesn't read the article and bash Xbox One THEN you have the right to attack them, doing so before is unjustified and serves no purpose.

Reading the short little snippet at the end doesn't help either, part of me believes that you didn't read the article either and just wanted to add enough content to justify your first little attack against those who are angry with the Xbox One.

bah maybe I'm just becoming irate in my old age.

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not saying these rumours won't turn out to be true, but I'd like something a little more concrete before I whip out the pitchfork.
Pfft. Why? It's a virtual pitchfork and it is your right, nay, your DUTY, to use it when shenanigans are called, worst case is somebody eventually lets us know that the rumor is untrue. Until then let the very rumor of this drive down microsoft's stock price.

I've been creeped out about microsoft since I heard about their kinect-spying patent, I won't put anything past them. I just wish out of all the people saying "we don't really know anything yet" I could find a single person willing to bet real money on it.

Vivid Kazumi

Jan 7, 2012
NiPah said:
Kurt Cristal said:

Every time I read a post like this it annoys me, most of those hordes of people have the common decency to back up their arguments, you're just posting the same humorless unironic trite post I see in countless other threads. When and if a post is made that doesn't read the article and bash Xbox One THEN you have the right to attack them, doing so before is unjustified and serves no purpose.

Reading the short little snippet at the end doesn't help either, part of me believes that you didn't read the article either and just wanted to add enough content to justify your first little attack against those who are angry with the Xbox One.

bah maybe I'm just becoming irate in my old age.
by all that you mean that the mass's are easily culled by phony game articles,old patents,random debunked source's,and the usual"ITS LIKE 1984 MANNNN" then you're phrase "most of those hordes of people have the common decency to back up their arguments" is right on paper money.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
The problem with this is that if gamestop is only getting 10% of a cut from used game sales, used games will most likely go up in price anyway making the whole "buy cheaper then new" philosophy less and less true because as a retailer gamestop needs to make money and used game sales are a pretty big part of that.

Has anyone else thought of that repercussion or was it just me? Because a number of you seem relieved with this news.