GameStop Turns Off the Light on the DS Lite

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
Is it me or having no GBA slot made the DSi inferior to the DS Lite. Seems to be a trend in handhelds nowadays, release a new model, charge more, take away important features and add some new ones which are just....meh. Same with the PSPgo.

Edit: Oh, and even consoles are doing it too, how could I forget the PS3.

This doesn't effect me though so I don't really care what this shop does.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
GunstarHero said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
I'm on my 2nd ds lite and I'm probably going to get a dsi xl before I get a 3ds. It is IMO the best system, the best form factor, and had the most fun games.
I have have to ask.. Did the first one break? If so, how the hell did you manage that? I'm fairly sure modern combat jackets are made from a number of DS consoles, since they're invulnerable to any human-inflictable damage.
Number one got so much use that the internal ribbon cable between the top and bottom screens cracked. The top screen would only show a picture at a very specific position and then stopped entirely. This was in 2009 I think.

My current DS has a cracked hinge because I left it in a place accessibly by 2 year olds. It still plays but the screen doesn't "lock" and I have to hold it up or leave it fully open.

I easily have 100 games for it some of which I played the hell out of. Mario kart, metroid prime pinball, ff tactics 2 A2, pretty much anything atlus releases and recently put about 50 hours into pokemon white.

Hint for you new fathers, you can hold a DS and a baby at the same time, also the Wii controller and Nunchuck configuration is the most comfortable to hold when you are also rocking a kid to sleep.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
elvor0 said:
I don't know why their stopping it, the GBA slot is far too valuble for me to give up, I've still got my Phat Ass Original DS from 2004 because of the GBA slot, (where my cartridge actually fits ^^) as I need it for the pokeymans from 3rd gen games, and the extra content on Megaman ZX. Plus some people play guitar hero on tour or something...
Exactly.

I still us the DS lite, and I haven't thought about upgrading untill they announced the OoT 3D, and even then I'd still be keeping my lite.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
Kind of sad. The DS lite was the pinnacle of their handheld design as far as I'm concerned. It was sleek and tough. Close that thing up and it was an impenetrable brick. I don't know why, after having achieved the perfect design, they had to take a step back with the 3DS. The 3DS clamshell does not seal along the edges at all (except where the bottom screen meets the top), leaving the buttons and speaker holes inside open to collect dust and pocket lint.

I have to say though, the only downside of the lite was that horrible mushy D-pad. Thank god they gave the 3DS those wonderful clicky buttons.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
The Ds lites were rubbish I owned two and they both broke the exact same way. Backwards compatibility is good but sometimes ya just gotta let go and get the most advanced version.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
First of all, GameStop stopped selling GBA games/consoles about a month ago. That alone is a huge cut from the DS/DS Lite few features. As many of you know, GBA stopped being produced a while back but GameStop kept selling them anyway. If you see a GBA game at GameStop, it's probably one of the last ones they're trying to get rid of.

Second, it isn't like GameStop decided to not sell them anymore out of the blue. It''s gonna be like that in most places soon enough. GameStop wouldn't be as dumb as to stop selling a system that is probably sold somewhere else.

Third, about time! Nothing against the DS Lite, but as far as I know, the original DS isn't sold anywhere (Brand new) anymore. It is now the DS Lite's turn. Such is life.

Also, places like Target and Best Buy carry the same games at the exact same price. ALL stores (Walmart, GameStop, Best Buy, etc) have sales every now and then where some hot titles are cheaper. Example: GameStop is selling Portal 2 for 40 dollars right now. So to those who say "Oh, but this store sells it cheaper than that store so screw this store!", no. It's called a sale. It happens everywhere. It ends eventually.
Personally, I prefer to buy my PS3 at GameStop for a couple of reasons:
-I can buy Used. Blu-ray disks are really hard to damage unlike DVDs. So yeah, I'm happy I bought MW2 used for 20 something dollars instead of paying 50 or 60 for the same copy but New. Plays the same anyway.
-People there actually know their stuff. It's their job, right? Other places sell games among some other things (Target, Walmart, etc.) The few people I've approached at some other stores haven't been able to explain what a certain upcoming game is about.
-7 day trial period on used games. So I bought The Orange box on a Friday, I finished it throughout the weekend and returned it on Tuesday and got my money back. Yeah, I bought myself some ice cream after that.

Not saying GameStop is pure awesomeness; as a corporation, it has to find a way to make money through customers. But what store isn't? So I say it's alright.