GameStop Wants to Snag Exclusive Gameplay as Preorder Bonuses

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
So, as a PC gamer and considering the vast majority of Gamestops don't even carry PC games, I can expect to have shit cut out of my game for no fucking reason? And I probably won't have any way to get it unless the company offers it as DLC?

Fuck you Gamestop. Stick to cosmetic bullshit that I don't usually give a crap about.
The GameStop I shop at must be one of the better ones because they have a wall devoted just for PC games.

On Topic: This is a pretty scummy move by GameStop. I just hope the regular Joe employees that work there don't get blamed for this.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Strazdas said:
And this is exactly why people pirate games. this means that the ONLY way to get a full game without using the gamecon is to pirate it. if pirating is the only option - people will do it. thats how world works.

Seriuosly, gamestop needs to be killed, not given exclusive content. then again, there still exist people that are willing to stay for hours in cold for midnight launch instead of preloading the game while playing another. i guess gamestop still has costumers willing to do it the hard way.
What have I told you about justifying piracy. No, if they can afford to buy the game than they can afford to buy it at gamestop. If gamestop isn't available than tough luck, they are not entitled to it, gamestop isn't required to open stores in their country to make it available to them.

Gamestop needs to be killed? What about its many customers? How about if your storefronts got killed by...gamestop shall we say. Would you be happy about that?

Dalisclock said:
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or just seriously overestimating how much of a "masterstroke" this is.

Because at best it looks like something that a few people will try for a few years but won't catch on for a majority of games.
Rozalia1 said:
If gamestop can successfully defeat their competition in digital with such a thing than...wow...what a maneuver. Its business at its finest, a masterstroke.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I can just imagine how it'll look in a few years...

Call of duty 7: North Korea invades russia

>Buy the game from gamestop, get the CTF multiplayer mode

>Buy the game from amazon, get the zombie horde mode

>Buy the game from Steam, get the basic package without either... but you can pay 10$ for each of the two extra feature packs

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
A business is seeing the future and is struggling to stay relevant during these changes. Seems like it might be an attempt at a cash grab before the inevitable demise of the brick and mortar store. If not, good for them resisting the inevitable, but your future is still the same, should we call them the next Blockbuster now? The other big company that resisted change recently.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
They already do this now, it's just that they've never actually gotten it to the point where their preorder exclusives stayed offlimits to later DLC/GOTY sales permanently.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Strazdas said:
I like to attend midnight launches. That is because I prefer to have a physical edition of a game over digital edition of it. Plus, I like Collector's Editions.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
This industry is getting beyond a joke now, screw you gamestop and screw you all the the spineless developers that go along with this.

This industry needs a big crash.

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Why would I pre-order a game in this day and age?

Been burned too many times by rushed-out beta releases that needed day 1 patching. Or were just plain old crappy crap.

Now I always wait for reviews before deciding whether to spend my money.

Rozalia1 said:
gamestop isn't required to open stores in their country to make it available to them.
Then in that case, Gamestop aren't required to whine about piracy and they can either legitimately release a game in that country or they can STFU.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
What have I told you about justifying piracy. No, if they can afford to buy the game than they can afford to buy it at gamestop. If gamestop isn't available than tough luck, they are not entitled to it, gamestop isn't required to open stores in their country to make it available to them.

Gamestop needs to be killed? What about its many customers? How about if your storefronts got killed by...gamestop shall we say. Would you be happy about that?
because gamestop sells every game everywhere in the world for all platforms? because otherwise, no, they cannot chose to shop at gamestop - they wont sell to them.

Tough luck or not, people will pirate it because of that, regardless whether you or i think they should.

Gamestop needs to be killed for many reasons, and exclusive content isnt even the largest one. Not sure why my gamefront comes into play here, however i doubt gamestop can ever do that nor would i welcome a worse gamefront. gamestop is a disease on retail market.

Bat Vader said:
Strazdas said:
I like to attend midnight launches. That is because I prefer to have a physical edition of a game over digital edition of it. Plus, I like Collector's Editions.
so obtaining physical edition requires you to wait in line for midnight launch? are physical copies so rare nowadays? is there no way to reserve them for that matter?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Strazdas said:
Rozalia1 said:

because gamestop sells every game everywhere in the world for all platforms? because otherwise, no, they cannot chose to shop at gamestop - they wont sell to them.

Tough luck or not, people will pirate it because of that, regardless whether you or i think they should.

Gamestop needs to be killed for many reasons, and exclusive content isnt even the largest one. Not sure why my gamefront comes into play here, however i doubt gamestop can ever do that nor would i welcome a worse gamefront. gamestop is a disease on retail market.

Bat Vader said:
Strazdas said:
so obtaining physical edition requires you to wait in line for midnight launch? are physical copies so rare nowadays? is there no way to reserve them for that matter?
I just like midnight releases. I think they are fun. They don't force people to stay in the cold. They close at their scheduled time and then re-open at 10:00 PM. They let people get their receipts stamped with a number and at midnight the manager starts calling numbers for people to get their game. That is because the manager and employees there are really awesome though.

Mainly I only go to a midnight release if I am picking up a CE. otherwise I just wait until the daytime to pick up my game.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
People are freaking out about this without a single thought.

Developers already do this with console exclusive gameplay, and it always ends up being some lame side mission that lasts about 10 minutes and doesn't do anything significant for the game.
I think the idea of them sanctioning off any section of gameplay in the game, whether good or bad, is the problem at the moment. Not that I don't agree with you on the current exclusive gameplay content. I still remember that gravity gun from the gamestop mass effect 2 promotion that ended up being the most useless, horribly under powered gun in the entire game. At least the armor looked decent.

edit: actually, that's another problem with this idea of exclusive gameplay: if the gameplay is only going to be available to a small division of players, why would the developers put time and effort into balancing and making sure that section plays well at all? It would be no different than having a piece of a movie game thrown into a perfectly good original title.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
"And we are working with them to get both physical and digital exclusives for our customers."

In no way, shape or form is that in the customers' interest or, "for our customers".

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
go go game stop! as soon as another retailer gets in on the act what do we have? that's right a situation were only pirates can get the full game. not a situation anyone with a vested interest in selling games really wants i would think.

lachlan4567

Sep 21, 2011
I only get psn credit at EB games anyways. (Australia's equivalent of GS.) Everything is overpriced now, except for preowned and I hate pre owned from there, they put stickers on the manuals/ spines, just a personal nitpick.
Also the new Generation seems to have let them think they can set the price of everything coming out now last or current gen, to $100au, consider this Target had watch dogs for $69 at launch while EB wanted $110 for the base copy no dlc.

Captcha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyAniSKkAiE

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Elijin said:
I wish certain companies would focus on providing a better service to win sales and loyalty, rather then trying to hold content hostage to net those sales...
If you don't preorder from GameStop, the only way to get all the content will be to pirate the game. Pirates, the guys you literally CAN'T compete with on price, will also be offering a better service. That ain't gonna be good for sales.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
WouldYouKindly said:
So, as a PC gamer and considering the vast majority of Gamestops don't even carry PC games, I can expect to have shit cut out of my game for no fucking reason? And I probably won't have any way to get it unless the company offers it as DLC?

Fuck you Gamestop. Stick to cosmetic bullshit that I don't usually give a crap about.
Doesn't Gamestop have a DD program of some sort?

In any case, this is the sort of thing that would impact my purchase decision. As in, I doubt I'd buy any game that did this.

Unfortunately, I don't think it would have that impact industry-wide.

Eirreann

Still only counts as one.
Aug 17, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
WouldYouKindly said:

Doesn't Gamestop have a DD program of some sort?
It did (and maybe still does) but it was (is?) horrendous, completely incapable of competing with Steam, or even Origin for that matter, as far as pricing and convenience.