GameStop Wants to Stream Games into Your Brain

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
GameStop Wants to Stream Games into Your Brain

With the acquisition of Impulse announced last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108904-GameStop-Buys-Impulse-Further-Invests-in-Digital-Distribution], GameStop is poised to compete with Steam and OnLive.

Digital distribution of games has come a long way, baby. Back in 2003 when Valve launched Steam it seemed like a pipe dream, but the service soon grew into the huge behemoth marketplace that we enjoy today. GameStop, the U.S. game retail giant, realized that if it was going to compete in the future it had to go digital, too. Purchasing the casual game website Kongregate and brokering deals with major game publishers to sell DLC through its retail outlets increased digital sales at GameStop to $290 million in 2010. Last week, GameStop announced it was set to acquire the Impulse marketplace from game developer Stardock and the streaming technology company Spawn Labs. I sat down with Tony Bartel, CEO of GameStop, and he pledged that by 2014 digital sales would equal $1.5 billion, or 12.5 percent of GameStop's total revenues.

"Two years ago, our board challenged us to adopt a strategy to evolve our business into the digital gaming world. These acquisitions are a continuation of that process," Bartel said. "Our customers are beginning to consume games in a hybrid manner, both physical and digital, so we are becoming a hybrid company to meet their needs."

GameStop will fold the Impulse marketplace directly to work with GameStop.com, which will continue utilize GameStop's "Power Up awards," aka "achievements." The tech derived from Spawn Labs will also allow customers to play any console game from anywhere, without the need for publishers to port them to PC. The business model seems similar to that offered by OnLive, except that GameStop will be able to put any game disc into a console somewhere and stream that experience to the customer instead of requiring publishers to alter game code.

Part of GameStop's strategy is to offer the ability to try a game briefly and then purchase that game later. "Let's say you're at work, you have a lunch hour, you pull out a Bluetooth-connected controller, and you have a highly immersive experience playing one of the latest games that have come out," Bartel said. "Because there's no need for porting, we can literally have first-release games and thousands of games that can be available to our consumers so they can play a very recently-released game, and if they really like it then we'd have a 'buy it here' button, and they move forward and enter into our sales process."

Bartel also said that GameStop wants to stream games to all kinds of devices including tablet PCs like the iPad. "We're very excited about a subscription service that we would offer to our PowerUp awards members where, based on the amount of games or based on the games that they've purchased from GameStop and have in their library," he said. "We would offer them a subscription service to stream those games and play them on any internet-connected device. PCs, we already demoed that we can stream these games to PCs, we also have on our roadmap to be able to stream to tablets in the not-too-distant future."

Players would be able to control these games with a Bluetooth enabled game controller or GameStop's "gamepad virtualization technology" which would ostensibly put the buttons on the display. David Adams, GameStop's vice president of online technology, admitted that such a control scheme isn't perfect for all games, but that it would well enough for titles such as Wii Sports Resort or even older console games.

And even though the streaming technology begs the question, GameStop has no plans to compete with Netflix in streaming movies to game consoles. "We really are totally focused on gaming," Bartel said. "That's what we know, that's who we are and we have no plans whatsoever to enter into the movie streaming space. It's not a space that we have the expertise in like we do in gaming."

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Part of GameStop's strategy is to offer the ability to try a game briefly and then purchase that game later. "Let's say you're at work, you have a lunch hour, you pull out a Bluetooth-connected controller, and you have a highly immersive experience playing one of the latest games that have come out," Bartel said. "Because there's no need for porting, we can literally have first-release games and thousands of games that can be available to our consumers so they can play a very recently-released game, and if they really like it then we'd have a 'buy it here' button, and they move forward and enter into our sales process."
That's the longest way I've ever seen someone describe: "Ya, our service will have demos."

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Veloxe said:
That's the longest way I've ever seen someone describe: "Ya, our service will have demos."
The difference being that you can play console games on your PC without publisher's needing to port the code. Nifty idea, but you're right, not a huge deal.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Stream to ipad? I don't think so...unless you are playing the game on a cloud system and streaming the experience like video to main graphic capabilities...which some to think of it would be pretty awesome if not wholly impractical

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
HankMan said:
I see no mention of plans to download games into my brain in this article.
Misleading title is misleading.
And disappointing :(
This.

I saw no mention of brains in the article.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Veloxe said:
The difference being that you can play console games on your PC without publisher's needing to port the code. Nifty idea, but you're right, not a huge deal.
Ya, it basically sounds like they are trying to merge a Games on Demand streaming model with Steam.

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
Hey I have impulse installed... Used it once to download objectdock and havent touched it since. I'm all for competition, but I don't think they have must chance. With steam they have a community centered aspect, and for players to switch to impulse means they lose that community aspect for the particular game theyre after. On top of that there's people like me who think one clunky DRM machine is enough, hence why I chose not to buy DA2 from bioware's online service.

jsnfloyd

Mar 24, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Even though I'm not a huge fan of game stop, especially after working in retail and realizing that anything in retail is nearly doubled in price, the businessman in me respects them for realizing where the market is headed.

I'm doubtful that Game Stop has the functionality to shift from a retail/distribution model to a software service/distributor. That's something pretty difficult to do for any company, especially for large ones, but I'll keep my finger's crossed. It's also a difficult to compete with Steam, a service that has been out for years, on one front and other retail outlet stores on another.

GameStop is in a pretty tricky situation here. With the increase in digital distribution online, GameStop will lose it's niche market. This won't hurt other retailers like Walmart, K-mart, etc., since they sell a gazillion other things.

I cannot fathom any way that I could possibly play any console game on a mobile device or why I should play mobile games on a PC. They can't enter the mobile platforming market unless they come up with their own device, which again, they're faarrr behind in doing.

The PC market is quickly being eaten up by Steam and it's going to be tough to duke it out with Vavle, especially since GameStop is notorious for poor customer satisfaction.

I think it would be possible for GameStop to pull through the coming storm though and I think all this buzz is indicating that they know if they don't change they will go under eventually. Going into the online market actually puts them at a strategic advantage over Steam and other Retailers, which at first seems like a huge weakness, but if they can play their cards right it may actually turn out to be a strength. The great advantage for Steam is that developers and publishers see larger returns whereas with traditional retail they only see around $27 out of the $60 spent by consumers.

GameStop could theoretically offer a 50/50 return on all products as long as they only distribute through GameStop. The sales of console games outweigh that of the PC market, so it would be very enticing for publishers and developers to see less of a return in the online market but more in retail. It'll be tough going for GameSpot to be sure, but the payoff for building a market in the long run will keep the company alive and more importantly, jobs.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
jsnfloyd said:
Greg Tito said:
Even though I'm not a huge fan of game stop, especially after working in retail and realizing that anything in retail is nearly doubled in price, the businessman in me respects them for realizing where the market is headed.
If everything is nearly doubled price in retail, then how is it that we have any retail stores at all exist if we could order everything online? I'm not going to deny that there is overhead, but I don't think it can be as high as you claim it is.

I'm doubtful that Game Stop has the functionality to shift from a retail/distribution model to a software service/distributor. That's something pretty difficult to do for any company, especially for large ones, but I'll keep my finger's crossed. It's also a difficult to compete with Steam, a service that has been out for years, on one front and other retail outlet stores on another.
Let's look at Netflix. I like their business model. Do you know who owns Netflix? A company called L3. The same L3 who has contracts with the US military for hardware and software. What you're saying about being difficult is only true if they don't pay attention to what they're doing with both businesses.

GameStop is in a pretty tricky situation here. With the increase in digital distribution online, GameStop will lose it's niche market. This won't hurt other retailers like Walmart, K-mart, etc., since they sell a gazillion other things.
GameStop's primary business isn't PC gaming. In case you haven't been in one lately, most stories carry somewhere between zero and about 20 PC games. Their primary market is used video games, which are almost all profit.

I cannot fathom any way that I could possibly play any console game on a mobile device or why I should play mobile games on a PC. They can't enter the mobile platforming market unless they come up with their own device, which again, they're faarrr behind in doing.
Yes, because every company that deals with mobile gaming has their own hardware.

The PC market is quickly being eaten up by Steam and it's going to be tough to duke it out with Vavle, especially since GameStop is notorious for poor customer satisfaction.
I haven't had any problems with GameStop. I'm more worried about the Impulse footprint than anything else.

I think it would be possible for GameStop to pull through the coming storm though and I think all this buzz is indicating that they know if they don't change they will go under eventually. Going into the online market actually puts them at a strategic advantage over Steam and other Retailers, which at first seems like a huge weakness, but if they can play their cards right it may actually turn out to be a strength. The great advantage for Steam is that developers and publishers see larger returns whereas with traditional retail they only see around $27 out of the $60 spent by consumers.
It's amazing what almost free advertising, no shipping, and no manufacturing costs will do for a business.

GameStop could theoretically offer a 50/50 return on all products as long as they only distribute through GameStop. The sales of console games outweigh that of the PC market, so it would be very enticing for publishers and developers to see less of a return in the online market but more in retail. It'll be tough going for GameSpot to be sure, but the payoff for building a market in the long run will keep the company alive and more importantly, jobs.
What exactly are you saying here? I really can't make heads or tails of it.

jsnfloyd

Mar 24, 2011
vxicepickxv said:
If everything is nearly doubled price in retail, then how is it that we have any retail stores at all exist if we could order everything online? I'm not going to deny that there is overhead, but I don't think it can be as high as you claim it is.
You'd actually be pretty surprised how much many of the items in a retail actually cost to make. Many times the packaging costs more than the product itself. On average though most items in store are marked up double what they are actually worth. Typically the cheaper something is to make the higher the mark-up where-as with price-er items the mark-up is a lot less. You may think that this is something greedy on the part of the retailer, but they need the profit in order to stay in business. There's a lot that has to be paid for when owning a retail outlet. You have to pay employees and many of their associated costs and benefits, as well as bills for utilities and leases.

Online retailers are able to undercut retailers in terms of price, but not convenience for most products. I can walk into walmart or target and they will generally have what I'm looking for. It's convenient to purchase what I need and have it on hand when I leave the store.

With online retailers you have to consider the time the product takes to reach you and the associated shipping costs. Many things you'd find in a retail store would be costly to ship directly to the consumer, but they're able to keep that cost down in their stores because they've already set up an efficient distribution chain.

vxicepickxv said:
Let's look at Netflix. I like their business model. Do you know who owns Netflix? A company called L3. The same L3 who has contracts with the US military for hardware and software. What you're saying about being difficult is only true if they don't pay attention to what they're doing with both businesses.
Netflix is operating as a separate subsidiary though. Personally, I find Netflix to be a waste of money since they have poor selection. Nifty name, but bad online service.

Anyways, I'm not familiar with L3 as company. I hadn't heard of them until now, but I don't see what you're getting at. Could you explain further about L3's model. From what it sounds like, they have military contracts with the U.S. government for software and hardware. They also own netflix a service provider. I'm not connecting the dots.

That means L3 is in entirely two different markets. They have a business to business model and business to people one. That really isn't applicable to GameStop, since GameStop isn't changing they're core model, just how they reach consumers.

vxicepickxv said:
GameStop's primary business isn't PC gaming. In case you haven't been in one lately, most stories carry somewhere between zero and about 20 PC games. Their primary market is used video games, which are almost all profit.
I know, but they are competing with other retailers in the console market, especially Best Buy, who are implementing their own used games program. So, GameStop's niche market is going to be affected. I probably made the situation more dire than it really is, but for the short term things are looking pretty good.

vxicepickxv said:
Yes, because every company that deals with mobile gaming has their own hardware.
No, but they can't exactly go to Steve Jobs, or any leader in the mobile market and say "Hey, we want to control the distribution of games on your platform." I don't see exactly how they're supposed to enter the mobile market.

vxicepickxv said:
I haven't had any problems with GameStop. I'm more worried about the Impulse footprint than anything else.
Again not familiar with Impulse. I'll have to look into that.

vxicepickxv said:
It's amazing what almost free advertising, no shipping, and no manufacturing costs will do for a business.
What is this in reference to? Steam? Well, yea of course. Newell was very forward thinking. If GameStop wants to distribute games online they are going to have to compete with Steam.

vxicepickxv said:
What exactly are you saying here? I really can't make heads or tails of it.
Since GameStop wants to enter the Online market they need a way to take away part of the market from Steam and other online distributors. If they allow higher returns through retail, but only if publishers will sell through GameStop both in retail and online, then it's good for publishers and GameStop.