"Gaming Community" Connected to Pipe Bomb Attack

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
just all them crazy videogamers in general
YES, my fellow escapists, YES. It has begun...Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL gaming community!

No, but seriously, just kidding...can't believe I live in a world where I feel I have to specify that my above comment is a joke.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Honestly people this was just worded poorly. There is a very real chance that this kid pissed someone off enough to get him and his buddies (must have pissed em off too)to pipebomb his home.

We've read stories of WoW psychos tracking down rivals in the real world and COD grudges. Who's to say this isn't the case? I don't think this is blaming the whole of video games but the communities of certain gamers who take their games very, VERY seriously.

Also someone said above, though kind tinfoil hat-ish, that a lot of games involve real world money now. People tend to kill over money.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
TakeyB0y2 said:
Er... I think you're all this reading wrong.

What I think they're saying is the attack was caused because an argument or SOMETHING happened in a gaming community. The oldest son did SOMETHING to piss them off enough to attack his family. That's how I'm reading it, I don't see ANYWHERE on there how they're directly blaming video games for the attack, rather an involvement in a certain community.
Agreed, they are just talking about motive, not blaming games. Haven't there been plenty of real-world attacks for online game activity in the past? Just its usually in Asia. Save your ire for the real cases of misdirected blame.

vid87

May 17, 2010
While obviously not as horrible as this, there's also a trend of prank calling 911 to get SWAT Teams to raid people's homes that were being trolled online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfo4o-C-1vU

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Jackalb said:
I'm curious as to what the older brother's involvement was.
This.

Face it guys, it's completely possible (and disturbingly probable) that the oldest brother smack talked a total psycho in an online game. Which WOULD connect the attacks to the gaming community, like it or not.

Instead of flipping out and flinging our poo, how about we WAIT FOR DETAILS, like pleasant human beings?

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
What the hell.
That is all.
Now, if this actually does have connections to gaming (like some idiots taking competition too far or getting incredibly upset over something trivial) then I will redact some of that statement. If only for "IT STILL ISN'T GAMING'S FAULT PEOPLE ARE MALADJUSTED IDIOTS" in large neon letters.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
All those people threatining to come to my house the 2 times I've played CoD online are real...

[small]I'm scared.[/small]

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Nasrin said:
Yeah! Let's blame something other than the individuals involved! *picks up a pitchfork*

But seriously... if I burned down a building and said it was in the name of Mashed Potatoes, what would happen?
You'd go to the rubber room on the funny farm and they'd find a way to blame in on Burger Time.

This is just another instance of people, the media included trying to foist blame off onto someone other than the people who committed the crime. People can't commit crimes just because they're dicks anymore, there always has to be some reason behind it.

This isn't video game's first turn at the lash either, there was a similar hysteria in the mid to late 70's that caused some places to ban arcades all together when they weren't just eliminated certain games that offended the morals of the community.

10+ years ago it was offensive and violent lyrics in rap music that was going to turn little Timmy and Nancy into sociopathic murderers that would kill any cop they saw at the drop of a dime. That got boring and they put those stupid Parental Advisory warnings on the CD cases which most parents ignore anyway so now it's video games that are up for another whipping.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
rhizhim said:

throwing pipebombs into a family's house through the windows because of (allergedly) some kid probably trolling in a video game...

well....
what is that from?....reminds me of Dead Space

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
I bet it was the so called "****** ****** pussy jew nazi feminist virgin cocksucker"-movement that constantly get called out by 12 year old kids of Xbox Live. Sounds like some serious terrorism right there.

This case is just laughable. -.-

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Nasrin said:
Yeah! Let's blame something other than the individuals involved! *picks up a pitchfork*

But seriously... if I burned down a building and said it was in the name of Mashed Potatoes, what would happen?
Let's do it. For science!

But seriously, people. Why? Why does this even come up?

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
So now people aren't even waiting for people who play videogames to be convicted of a crime before blaming games for causing violence, they arrested three people, who weren't related to the family or play video-games as far as I can tell from the article, but their son plays video-games so that must have caused it.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It could be that the world is really that messed up already, but a more logical first assumption would be that someone in that house interfered with the wrong criminal or gang.

AhumbleKnight

Apr 17, 2009
Vault101 said:
rhizhim said:

throwing pipebombs into a family's house through the windows because of (allergedly) some kid probably trolling in a video game...

well....
what is that from?....reminds me of Dead Space
Slither.

OT: Sick of stupid sensationalism. I miss journalism:(

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
FOX is going to have a freaking field day with this bit of idle, baseless speculation .... maybe they should try blaming the FUCKING BOMB MAKING community.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I think a lot of people are misreading this.
They aren't claiming video games made people throw pipe bombs, but they believe the people were from their son's online gaming community. Sounds like he talked some shit to the wrong people?

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
These kinds of stories always make me have the same reaction; incredibly angry for a minute, and then very sad in a, "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" kind of way.