Gaming Desktop

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
DeathsHands said:
I think assembling a computer is different than clicking a few links to install some drivers or start a scan. Then again, this is a very rough guess and whatnot.
I don't really see it like that, if you can plug in a USB mouse into your laptop then you posses all the skills necessary to install a graphics card. Updating drivers on the other hand takes quite a bit more technical skill. Also, people who haven't built their own computer usually don't know what hardware is even in their machine, so they are incapable of keeping it updated.

DeathsHands

Mar 22, 2010
Cronq said:
I don't really see it like that, if you can plug in a USB mouse into your laptop then you posses all the skills necessary to install a graphics card. Updating drivers on the other hand takes quite a bit more technical skill. Also, people who haven't built their own computer usually don't know what hardware is even in their machine, so they are incapable of keeping it updated.
Well, regardless, we can't really be throwing around generalizations like this; it looks bad.

BrEnNo1023

Mar 18, 2009
Cronq said:
In my personal opinion, if you can't manage to build your own PC and install a basic OS you aren't going to have an optimal gaming experience with a PC. The fact is, PC's require regular maintenance on both the hardware and software side. If you are unwilling to put in the 2 hour initial investment of building your machine, then you're probably not going to keep your drivers updated, your heatsinks/fans cleaned or run regular virus/malware scans....unless you're willing to purchase a Geek Squad service contract.
^ He's right ^
Because there's nothing like spending 1k on a sweet PC only to have it clog up with dust and viruses a few months down the track because you're not motivated to keep it clean and maintained. Windows 7 takes care of drivers and software for you 95% of the time, and some good antivirus/spyware programs are free, but owning a PC is not as simple as having a console: hooked up to your TV, turning it on and off when you feel like playing a game. In a manner of speaking, a PC is for life, not for christmas :p

But anyways, if COST is your highest priority i'd go AMD for CPU (they may be cheaper, but my Phenom II 965 still runs Crysis, Metro 2033 etc etc at full spec 1920x1080 just as good as any hyper-expensive intel i7), some cheap value ddr2 ram, and anything up to a 1gb of good graphics RAM. DON'T skimp on the power supply! Everything else in the PC, yes, but you don't want a dirty $20 PSU frying your entire computer. At least $100, from a respectable brand, and make sure there's more than enough Wattage to run all the components at their full loads, otherwise pop goes the entire very expensive weasel..

I just got a friend of a friend to build my PC..but computer shops (not retail shops, actual PC maintainance shops) will do the job...for a price. Have fun.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
*sigh* yeah, I guess that newegg machine isn't bad. I'd want a quicker (10,000RPM) hard drive for that price, but I guess you have to pay 'em for their work. >.<

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
AC10 said:
@OP Everyone is probably going to ***** at you to build your own, but if you don't have the knowhow or the desire to learn how, don't let the die-hards sway your opinion to buy a pre-built.
There's also a major difference between getting a prebuilt from a small tech house or whatever, which can come very close to getting a custom build, and getting a prebuilt from a major brand that just shits out systems jammed with substandard, underpowered hardware.

Occassionally parts retailers will also have a line or two of systems they sell that, when you tally up what they're charging for the component parts, are actually cheaper than buying the parts and building the rig yourself. Good find if what they offer matches your needs (has happened twice for me, saved about 100 dollarydoos each time).

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
There's also a major difference between getting a prebuilt from a small tech house or whatever, which can come very close to getting a custom build, and getting a prebuilt from a major brand that just shits out systems jammed with substandard, underpowered hardware.
You forgot to mention the pre-installed proprietary garbage they always integrate with their OSes... Even when you spend three grand on a system with decent hardware, it still runs at about 20% of the speed it should thanks to bloatware.
I can't remember how many people's brand new computers I've had to run DBAN on and manually figure out all of their drivers on reinstall...

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
BrEnNo1023 said:
In a manner of speaking, a PC is for life, not for christmas :p
Dammit... if only there were PC pounds that were overwhelmed with unwanted giftmas PCs around febuary when their owners decided they were too much hassle to keep bothering with.

Puppies just aren't the same... You can't take 4 unwanted puppies and pull the parts out of them to make 1 power puppy... Well, you can but it just doesn't work and all you're left with is a mess to clean up and a mass of animal cruelty charges. :(

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
loc978 said:
You forgot to mention the pre-installed proprietary garbage they always integrate with their OSes... Even when you spend three grand on a system decent hardware, it still runs at about 20% of the speed it should thanks to bloatware.
I usually grab prebuilds without any OS... and if I can't get them OS free the first thing I do is reformat the HDD(s) and install a clean version of the OS (well as clean as a commercial OS can be - rarely have any call from anyone to install a 'nix OS on their new machine).

Small tech houses and parts retailers banging together a line or two of complete systems for sale rarely have any proprietary crap to install anyway.

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Ephraim has basically hit it on the head (Even though they suggested AMD, evil!)
Those are probably the minimum specs you are looking at. In fact I will be building a friends computer with very similar specs to this over the weekend. =3

The one thing I don't necessarily agree with is the multiple HDDs thing. (Not that it's an issue, HDDs are one of the cheapest parts for a computer unless you are getting SSDs) You can run off one HDD perfectly fine. if you are worried about the need for reformatting, you could always make (Or get someone to make for you) a backup image/self restore for your drive.
You could even partition your HDD into OS/Other halves to make this even easier.

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
Azure Sky said:
Ephraim has basically hit it on the head (Even though they suggested AMD, evil!)
Those are probably the minimum specs you are looking at. In fact I will be building a friends computer with very similar specs to this over the weekend. =3

The one thing I don't necessarily agree with is the multiple HDDs thing. (Not that it's an issue, HDDs are one of the cheapest parts for a computer unless you are getting SSDs) You can run off one HDD perfectly fine. if you are worried about the need for reformatting, you could always make (Or get someone to make for you) a backup image/self restore for your drive.
You could even partition your HDD into OS/Other halves to make this even easier.
Yeah, I suggested AMD, sue me. :p

As for suggesting the possibility of multiple HDDs, the OP says that he isn't very technically inclined, and a later post saying he can barely work a toaster (obviously exaggerating), so I was going for simplicity.
That is true, however, having multiple HDDs is not something that is terribly hard to set up, much less use. It's really no different than getting an external HDD when you run out of space. o_O

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
True. But those take up desk space, and the read/write speeds are quite slow if you aren't using something like USB 3.0 or eSATA. >.>
Yeah, but when you have as much anime media as I do, a spare TB or so really comes in handy. Portability is a massive plus as well. =3

But this is kinda derailing, where were we? o_O

BrEnNo1023

Mar 18, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
BrEnNo1023 said:
In a manner of speaking, a PC is for life, not for christmas :p
Dammit... if only there were PC pounds that were overwhelmed with unwanted giftmas PCs around febuary when their owners decided they were too much hassle to keep bothering with.

Puppies just aren't the same... You can't take 4 unwanted puppies and pull the parts out of them to make 1 power puppy... Well, you can but it just doesn't work and all you're left with is a mess to clean up and a mass of animal cruelty charges. :(
always remember, a puppy is more than a sum of its functional parts. Disassemble a puppy, and put it back together, and it won't...it won't work again
A computer is just a sum of its parts, can be pulled apart, chopped and changed with other computer parts, and will still function! It's different...therefore...betterer...yes...
Oh and for the record there is a PC pound...it's called eBay :p Ebay, which brings us back on topic. Go to ebay for cheap PCs that people have probably used and probably still have a giant stash of illegal downloaded movies and twisted pr0nz on their old crusty 80GB hard drives. Bazinga.