Gaming Goals

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
As titled, what are some of the relatively pointless (but personally satisfying) accomplishments you’ve been meaning to fulfill in your gaming life?

I just thought of a new one specifically that’s outside the typical *finish game x (too many to list)* or *Platinum game y (MGSV & Sekiro)* or *abandoning game z forever (C&C: TW?)*, etc.

I’d like to use photo mode to make an album containing every animal in RDR2. Even the lowly rat (not Micah). Finding time is another thing, but figure I’ll at least start it on my PC playthrough some day.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Mine is simple, perhaps a little trite even, but it's to finish my backlog.

My gaming new year's resolution was to get it under 20 games*. That meant beating/completing at least 12 games that were already in the backlog, in addition to any new games I buy. As of last weekend, I reached that goal. I'm now sitting at 19 games I've yet to play. With 3 months to spare. Tho that'll be bumped back up to 20 this friday when Metroid Dread releases. But as a bit of a Metroid fan, I don't expect that to last long.

* not counting freebies, cuz otherwise I'd be back at 150 or something.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not much. Just to keep playing good and fun game. I rarely have the time nor the effort to play a bad game, Not much patience either; never did.

Do more co-op sessions with my older brother. I know we don't do as much as we used to, but I would like to keep that going. There is some games on my PS2 I gotta start. A lot of my gaming goals I already achieved or games are out/coming out that are said impossible to exist. DMC5, God of War 4 & 5, No More Heroes III, Bayonetta 3, and Streets of Rage 4. All games said that would never happened, but here they are.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Try to clear my backlog before I even think of buying a PS5. I totally failed in my goal of not buying any games this year I have more than ever. I used to pride myself on not having a backlog, but somehow the amount of games I buy has overtaken the amount of time I have to play them. So yeah, next year I will not be buying any more and hopefully by this time next year, I should be in a better place. Should be better for the wallet too.

@hanselthecaretaker Just wanted to say well done for sticking to your pledge of not buying any this year. My problem is I find some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket and second hand games are quite cheap after a year or so. :)

I may try to get the plat trophies for games that I can easily get because you know, I need that digital pat on the back sometimes.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Mine is quite cynical: try to rekindle my passion for gaming. The industry has really let me down over the past several years, and as the trend seems to be continuing down the path I hate, it's really hard to be excited for much of anything.

My buddy (who constantly insists on having the latest and greatest) keeps telling me get a PS5 for *this* title or get an Xbox One X for *that* title, and I'm like, dude, I'm not paying $500 for a console for a single game that might be to my liking. The industry has a lot to show me before I get back into the scene with the same fervor I once had. Until then, I'm content with my Xbox Game Pass on my Xbox One and trying the few games that seem might have somewhat of any value to me beyond another hand in my pocket.

And it's sad, because I consider myself a gamer. I love games. I love GOOD games, and while I'm certain there have been several worthy experiences I've missed out on, I can't in good faith leap to "today" with anything short of cynical reticence, and that's just not enjoyable for me, making a substantial investment with no desire to invest beyond that upfront cost.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mine is quite cynical: try to rekindle my passion for gaming. The industry has really let me down over the past several years, and as the trend seems to be continuing down the path I hate, it's really hard to be excited for much of anything.

My buddy (who constantly insists on having the latest and greatest) keeps telling me get a PS5 for *this* title or get an Xbox One X for *that* title, and I'm like, dude, I'm not paying $500 for a console for a single game that might be to my liking. The industry has a lot to show me before I get back into the scene with the same fervor I once had. Until then, I'm content with my Xbox Game Pass on my Xbox One and trying the few games that seem might have somewhat of any value to me beyond another hand in my pocket.

And it's sad, because I consider myself a gamer. I love games. I love GOOD games, and while I'm certain there have been several worthy experiences I've missed out on, I can't in good faith leap to "today" with anything short of cynical reticence, and that's just not enjoyable for me, making a substantial investment with no desire to invest beyond that upfront cost.
We've all been there at some point or will be there. All I can say is find games you know or will enjoy. I don't even bother a majority of the AAA. Start looking at the smaller or mid budget people. They tend have more replay value or something simple and fun, 98% time over whatever the big shit heels are doing. There is something for everyone. If you need any help, feel free to ask, and I'll do whatever I can.

Anytime someone tried to justify paying a huge price on a console for 1 game, my response was "I hope you're happy. You gonna play anything else?". They would either respond with a simple no, hesitate their answer, or get defensive about it. I'm sure friend is gonna regret or come to his senses at some point. Not your problem, though. He's an adult that made a very informed decision.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Since I have no hope of ever finishing my backlog(I've lost count due to years of steam sales and bundles and such), My goal is simple: Figure out what games I would regret never playing before I'm too old or too dead to play games anymore and play those. Along with that, play games because I'm in the mood to play them, not because I feel like I need to play them to get them off back backlog(because that's a fools errand at this point).

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
We've all been there at some point or will be there. All I can say is find games you know or will enjoy. I don't even bother a majority of the AAA. Start looking at the smaller or mid budget people. They tend have more replay value or something simple and fun, 98% over whatever the big shit heels are doing. There is something for everyone. If you need any help, feel free to ask, and I'll do whatever I can.

Anytime someone tried to justify paying a huge price on a console for 1 game, my response was "I hope you're happy. You gonna play anything else?". They would either respond with a simple no, hesitate their answer, or get defensive about it. I'm sure friend is gonna regret or come to his senses at some point. Not your problem, though. He's an adult that made a very informed decision.
Yeah, I was thinking about getting a PS5 again, but then the nagging question was: For what? Demons Souls is the only game I'm really interested in that's currently out(sorry, Kena, you're not that interesting to me). God of War: Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West are gonna be on the PS4, so unless the PS4 versions are horrible there's no reason not to just get those when I'm ready. FF7R pt 2: Electric Chocobo is probably gonna be a PS5 exclusive but we still don't know how many games are gonna comprise the remake or how long it'll take before it's complete so I'm not in any rush there. Unfortunatly, SE ran right into the episodic game problem where instead of making the game easier to make and release, it just draws the story out over the course of years.

Maybe if MGS3 gets a PS5 remake or BloodBorne 2 comes out but honestly(or if Team Ico's next game ends up being a PS5 exclusive), even with the PS4 there's only a handful of games I can't play on PC or anywhere else and that took YEARS for that to happen for me.

Also, getting a PS5 is still a hassle and I can wait. My dance card for this month is crowded AF already.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
We've all been there at some point or will be there. All I can say is find games you know or will enjoy. I don't even bother a majority of the AAA. Start looking at the smaller or mid budget people.
Funny you'd mention that, because it was an Indie title that was my breaking point. I know I've mentioned it several times, but INSIDE was the game that not only showed me what gaming could be, but more importantly showed me what the rest of gaming actually had become: a shallow cash-grab disinterested in quality experiences, and more interested in keeping its hands in my pockets while it shits out the same thing again, and again, and again, only less a complete experience each time.

INSIDE was perfect. A short experience, but one I'll never forget. One I thought about for months afterward, and still think about five years later. Made me realize I'd not had that same experience in YEARS, hadn't had in the entire generation at the time. After completing it, I sat back and looked at my library of games I once boasted about and realized most of the titles were nothing compared to what Playdead gave me in an isometric 2D platformer that engaged my mind in ways I didn't think possible, or at least had never thought I could expect.

INSIDE broke gaming for me. Halo 5 was the harbinger, but INSIDE was the fact. Outside of Dark Souls games, I've not enjoyed anything much since 2016, and can't be bothered to try. I will eventually, because gaming has been a huge part of my life for decades, but it'll be out of exasperation rather than want. I'll be like the divorcee who finally decides to get back with his shit wife for the simple fact (and some depraved reasoning) that there are no surprises, just more of what I know I'm getting, and it's better than nothing at all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Funny you'd mention that, because it was an Indie title that was my breaking point. I know I've mentioned it several times, but INSIDE was the game that not only showed me what gaming could be, but more importantly showed me what the rest of gaming actually had become: a shallow cash-grab disinterested in quality experiences, and more interested in keeping its hands in my pockets while it shits out the same thing again, and again, and again, only less a complete experience each time.

INSIDE was perfect. A short experience, but one I'll never forget. One I thought about for months afterward, and still think about five years later. Made me realize I'd not had that same experience in YEARS, hadn't had in the entire generation at the time. After completing it, I sat back and looked at my library of games I once boasted about and realized most of the titles were nothing compared to what Playdead gave me in an isometric 2D platformer that engaged my mind in ways I didn't think possible, or at least had never thought I could expect.

INSIDE broke gaming for me. Halo 5 was the harbinger, but INSIDE was the fact. Outside of Dark Souls games, I've not enjoyed anything much since 2016, and can't be bothered to try. I will eventually, because gaming has been a huge part of my life for decades, but it'll be out of exasperation rather than want. I'll be like the divorcee who finally decides to get back with his shit wife for the simple fact (and some depraved reasoning) that there are no surprises, just more of what I know I'm getting, and it's better than nothing at all.
INSIDE is excellent game and all, no contest, but it "broke gaming" for you. I don't get that. It's statement that always bothered me. This movie/game/book broke me or broke the genre/media for me. I get not finding something like it again, or only once in blue moon, don't let it be a bad thing. Sometimes it's great to have something unique. It's why I love Viewtiful Joe so much. Almost nothing else like it.

I know DMC5 and Streets of Rage 4, brought back some feelings I have not felt in a long time, but they made me more than happy. They give me so new sense of excitement, familiar, or something I have not felt in a while. Despite AAA gaming's many problems, I still look forward for a title or two that peeks my interests. With DMC back in action we're seeing a new golden age of Stylish Action that has not been this big since the early 2000s. The same applies SOR4; though the 2d brawlers have been making a resurgence since the mid 2010s.

Nothing really broke gaming for me, but as the early 2010s rolled on, I learned to be more alert for something I know that is gonna be fun for me or others around me. Not to fall in traps or overly negative moods. Whatever happens, whether the game will be good, bad, mediocre, or monetized to hell and back, there will be always something out there or better. I don't get excited for every game either, but I won't let that bother me, nor see as a negative aspect. At times, it is best look back and ask yourself, "Do I need this now or later?" "Will I play this a lot or a one and done?". It's never easy, though it does get easier. I've been at that point on what works for me and what does not since I was in my mid 20s.

All can conclude with is, don't drink in too much cynicism. Do what works for you, but learn to try something new once in a while. Not everything has to wow you or me. Because eventually you realize you will have something valuable or even better.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
INSIDE is excellent game and all, no contest, but it "broke gaming" for you. I don't get that. It's statement that always bothered me. This movie/game/book broke me or broke the genre/media for me. I get not finding something like it again, or only once in blue moon, don't let it be a bad thing. Sometimes it's great to have something unique. It's why I love Viewtiful Joe so much. Almost nothing else like it.

I know DMC5 and Streets of Rage 4, brought back some feelings I have not felt in a long time, but they made me more than happy. They give me so new sense of excitement, familiar, or something I have not felt in a while. Despite AAA gaming's many problems, I still look forward for a title or two that peeks my interests. With DMC back in action we're seeing a new golden age of Stylish Action that has not been this big since the early 2000s. The same applies SOR4; though the 2d brawlers have been making a resurgence since the mid 2010s.

Nothing really broke gaming for me, but has the early 2010s rolled on, I learned to be more alert for something I know that is gonna be fun for me or others around me. Not to fall in traps or overly negative moods. Whatever happens, whether game will be good, bad, mediocre, or monetized to hell and back, there will be always something out there or better. I don't get excited for every game either, but I won't let bother me, nor see as negative aspect. At times, it is best look back and ask yourself, "Do I need this now or later?" "Will I play this a lot or a one and done?". It's never easy, though it does get easier. I've been at that point on what works for me and what does not since I was in my mid 20s.

All can conclude with is, don't drink in too much cynicism. Do what works for you, but learn to try something new once in a while. Not everything has to wow you or me. Because eventually you realize you will have something valuable or even better.
I get where you're coming from, and I'm perhaps being a bit melodramatic. INSIDE didn't "break" gaming for me, but it certainly broke a spell of mediocrity I'd willfully existed under for decades.

I'll compare it to being in love. For years, you might have multiple flings, one-night stands, cursory relationships, and consider yourself seasoned in the relationship scene. Then one day, you find yourself with the perfect person: same interests, intelligent, beautiful, funny, faithful, loyal, etc. Then you look back on your past experiences and realize they didn't amount to much; they were the relationships you needed to experience to appreciate a truly great relationship, when lust and love diverge, and you find the greatest value in the latter.

I still like gaming, but most of it nowadays is "fucking" when INSIDE "made love" to me. That IS certainly being melodramatic, but the essence of the sentiment holds true. There are several games I'm sure I'd enjoy on one level or another, but very few I think that could captivate me the way INSIDE did, and there the interest is lost. I just can't find myself excited about much when so much of it is copy/paste "what sells" (how many CoDs and Assassin's Creeds are we up to?) It's 2am; the lights have come up in the bar, and all the women who seemed even remotely interesting under the guise of cigarette smoke and black lights look as average and uninteresting as the single mom I saw pumping gas into her SUV earlier that day.

That said, and in the vein of the analogy, I am a guy with needs, and will likely settle for a "piece of ass" over "celibacy" eventually.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

My advice, go back and replay your favs. Fuck the new shit, fuck worrying about the industry as a whole with the new games coming out. Just play the shit that made you love gaming in the first damn place and enjoy yourself.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

For someone who loved Dark Souls as much as you’ve said, maybe whenever they get around to a Bloodborne remaster it could be a good time to get a new system. It’s arguably FROM’s greatest yet.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Hell yeah bruh! What you been playing? What's your favs?
Mostly Darks Souls 1 Remaster and DS3, but also a random smattering of titles on my Xbox 360. Prototype never gets old, and I found myself going back to The Darkness and Enslaved several times. Also, games from that gen that I might have not played in years or have forgotten about; mostly cathartic in that it's nostalgia and not so much a desire to play "better" games than what's on offer today.

For someone who loved Dark Souls as much as you’ve said, maybe whenever they get around to a Bloodborne remaster it could be a good time to get a new system. It’s arguably FROM’s greatest yet.
In lieu of a PS5, I'm actually entertaining getting a PS4 specifically because I want to play Bloodborne. I won't buy a PS5 and pray for a remaster, though I have heard the Spider-Man games are pretty good. That's the main reason I've thought about switching camps from Xbox to PS this gen. Ideally, I'll find a reason to own both, but until each gives me a reason other than "Popular Franchise Title #346: But This Time, MOAR OF IT!!!", I'm content to stay a gen or two behind.

Pretty sure he mentioned them above lol.

@Xprimentyl perhaps one of these will strike your fancy -
Thank you tremendously for this. There are a few games on that list I already wanted to try, but several I've never heard of. I'll definitely being diving into those available on platforms available to me.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I want to get as emotionally invested in a game series as I did Mass Effect. ME3 came out almost 10 years ago, and I still have an attachment hangover from it. Why should I care what happens in Hope County with Joseph Seed when Tali'Zorah didn't get to build her home on Rannoch? Who has time to be a father to BOY and fight Thor when I need to know if EDI survives! Is the FF7 remake gonna give a way to save Aeirith? WHO CARES! Did Jack and her students make it out of London okay?!