Gaming Heartbreaks - What game did you love/want that never hit your country's shores?

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
I'm awaiting a plethora of 'PSO2' and 'Blade and Soul'.

And hopefully, unlike the mentioned games, those comments will come soon :c

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
None, actually.

Most of the games that don't get western/English releases seem to be Japanese stuff, which I generally have zero interest in.

A few games got whacked by the Australian classification crew, but none were games I was interested in.

About the closest thing I can think of is L4D2, which was released with censorship. I refused to buy that on general principles. However, the uncensored version eventually made it here anyway.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Cowboy Bebop PS2 game. It was never translated. I played it anyway, it's a fairly straightforward beat 'em up, and you can keep up with the cutscenes/plot via a pretty good fansub that's hanging around YouTube, but I would like to experience it "properly" at some point (also be able to understand every time Ed interrumpts with some sort of prompt; those were edited out of the fansub).

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I took matters into my own hands with PSO2 and played it for a year and a half to two years or so back when it first released.

I can't be arsed now since Yahoo.jp (which hosts Sega's servers for the game) somehow got their servers messed up to the point where you have to either use a VPN or some other method I can't be bothered doing.

I would say you aren't missing much, but that's my bias from quitting before a lot of good things came out in the game talking.

For myself, I'd say both of the Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology games following the first one. Yeah, the first game didn't live up to the standards of your average great Tales game, but it wasn't trying to do that. It was just a fun little sort of mini-Tales romp to have on the go for the PSP. Too bad both of the other games were only released on PSP quite a while after it was just frigging dead in the states and just about everywhere else not named Japan.

Namco Bandai sucks. But they're sort of trying to localize more titles now, I guess.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I had to import several DS games that I wanted, notably Devil Survivor 1&2 and The World Ends With You. That is no longer possible unfortunately, with the 3DS's region lock. Nintendo have been pretty good about releasing games in Europe on a reasonable schedule, but aside from Pokemon there aren't many first party titles I'm interested in.
That said, Atlus continue to be jerks with regards to European localization. I suppose I should just be happy we got Shin Megami Tensei 4 at all. Otherwise, Europe tends to get all the major releases I'm interested in eventually.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Being from the US and of limited tastes I've never really had this problem :x Nearly had this problem with Wright VS Layton but luckily they did go ahead and release it outside of Japan. I guess the closest thing would be the Final Mixes of Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, but the HD remixes of these games has solved that problem as well.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
I'm in Europe, for context:

Metal Wolf Chaos (Only JP) - Best original Xbox game. Never left Japan.
Phantom Dust (Only JP/US)
Devil Summoner 2 (Only JP/US)- Can't find the first one for less than a fortune either.
Operation Darkness (Only US/JP)
EX Troopers (Only JP - Actually did import this)
God Eater 2 (Only JP)
Phantasy Star 2 Vita (Only JP) - The gaiden game (I forget the subtitle), not the MMO
Yakuza Kenzan (Only JP)
Valkyria Chronicles 3 (Only JP)
Corpse Party (A very limited EU release at a high price - Don't buy digital on consoles)
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace (No physical EU release, need to import from US to get it in English)
Soul Sacrifice Delta (No physical release outside of Japan)

And probably tons of others I can't think of right now.

The games that are on PS3 are thankfully region free, but it doesn't help all that much with the language barrier.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The DS release of Ni No Kuni. Without that being localised, I don't really have the chance to play it.

murrow

Sep 3, 2014
None as of now. But I remember this being a huge issue 10-15 years ago.

I live in Brazil. Before digital distribution was a thing, we were slaves to whatever we could find on the shelves. And there were some games that either couldn't be found or that took years to appear. I never came across Ogre Battle 64, which I was dying to play when it came out. Same thing with Jade Empire. And I first saw Gothic 3 for sale 3 years after it was originally released.

It's not that these games weren't released in the country. But the distribution was so erratic that, depending on where you lived, you'd never see them.

Talking about it makes me realize how things have improved ever since.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Front Mission 5: Scars of War, the last Front Mission game to keep the turn-based strategy elements instead of just becoming a single player mech action game a la Armoured Core.

Now I'm not automatically opposed to that genre, but I loved the 4th game and have heard a lot about how the 5th is longer, more difficult, had a better plot, and lots of cameos from the previous 4 in the battle arena (and I prefer its putting the optional uber-bosses in said arena instead of merely having a few unlockable bonus simulator missions). Now it feels like we may never again get one like it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Several VNs I really want to play that will never be translated... or are currently being translated only slow as fuck. Innocent Bullet falls into the former and Cocoro@Function is in the la... They dropped it. The team fucking dropped it. God dammit.

On console they have Love Live: Idol Project. VanQ, that Japanese-speaking bastard, has sung their praises for a while now. A few other games as well, like I'm hoping Dragon Quest Heroes gets translated at some point. I really wished Pirate Warriors 3 was going to be released translated, but ah well.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
The Another Century's Episode series will sadly be forever out of reach for me (without importing anyway).

A more recent devastating blow was God Eater 2 Rage Burst. I didn't expect the first God Eater to get a US release but when the updated version did, I was ecstatic. I thought the game did well enough that the sequel would get a US release but when no news of that came out I held out for the possibility that the inevitable updated version would get a release but as of yet, still no.

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
Zero: Tsukihami no Kamen (or Fatal Frame/Project Zero 4) and Zero: Nuregarasu no Miko (pert 5 of that series). Both not released outside japan.
Phantasy Star Online 2, the MMORPG, not the card game. Also not released in EU.
The PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia, released only in japan.
Carnage Heart for PSP, only released in NA so far.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
Silvanus said:
The DS release of Ni No Kuni. Without that being localised, I don't really have the chance to play it.
The what? *Looks it up* I'll be damned...

OT: The first time I was exposed to the mercurial whims of localization was for a DS game called Blood of Bahamut. It looked interesting and cool and never was there the slightest hint of it arriving here.

Another time was when I bought a used PSP in anticipation of Final Fantasy Type-0, which then failed to materialize for years. Fortunately, it's coming this year, but that doesn't get me my money back.

Other than that, I don't really pay much attention to the niche titles that never reach America. The last time I did was during Op Rainfall, which worked perfectly and and now hopefully Nintendo won't be all coy with its localization in the future.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I don't think there was ever really a game that I wanted that never made it to the U.S., but this beauty has broken my heart:

Why must you keep us apart, Nintendo?

I put off getting a 3DS for a while, just hoping that it'd make its way over, but to no avail. Then the X/Y launch event happened, and I got really close to winning a special edition 3DS XL when this happened [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBx5vEOhU8].

I didn't get a 3DS until a few months ago, and only because the guy moving from the apartment my boyfriend was moving into didn't want it anymore.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3). According to those who played it it's the best in the series. A travesty that Square never localized it for the West, especially considering Secret of Mana sold pretty well.

Yakuza 5 used to be another one, but thank god it's coming later this year!

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Mostly Atlus games that take forever to get released in PAL regions, especially the region locked ones. Looking at you, SMTIV and Persona 4 Arena.

Also, a whole bunch of games that never left Japan, like The Idolm@ster.

Elfgore said:
Several VNs I really want to play that will never be translated... or are currently being translated only slow as fuck.
Oh, I feel your pain. Dies Irae, White Album 2, Sayonara wo Oshiete... one day you'll be translated or I'll get competent at Japanese. One day.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Grand Knights History was a real heart breaker. It was scheduled for localization, but the project was scratched. Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth will probably not get localized, which would be a crime.